Loco speakers opinions

josephbw

What speakers do you recommend for fairly full range output for an 8 ohm 1 watt speaker w/ enclosure? I have found that MRC speakers rattle and sound fuzzy, but Digitrax sound pretty good, but the ones with enclosures are fairly large. I looked at Knowles Grand speaker but Digi-Key doesn't stock it, and I can't tell if it needs an enclosure or not. I need various sizes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

What speakers do you recommend for fairly full range output for an 8 ohm 1 watt speaker w/ enclosure? I have found that MRC speakers rattle and sound fuzzy, but Digitrax sound pretty good, but the ones with enclosures are fairly large. I looked at Knowles Grand speaker but Digi-Key doesn't stock it, and I can't tell if it needs an enclosure or not. I need various sizes.

Any help would be appreciated.
I customize each speaker install for the exact locomotive that is going to be using it. A "good" speaker that will fit in an E8 is going to be way different than a "good" speaker for a geep. This is especially true if you do not want to do milling on the frames/fuel tanks or modifications to the shells. Are you just wanting "drop in" type speakers that fire down over the trucks?

I still have about 20-25 locos to put RailPro modules and speakers in. They vary from F7 to GP9 to U28B to GP30 to Also S2, and SW1500's, plus a few others. What I am looking for are enclosed speakers that will fit in the width of the GP's, SW's, U boats, etc. I can mill the weights and do other mods as necessary. I would just like to know what brands have consistently good speakers with a wide frequency response (ie. good bass mainly).

Thanks,
Joe

I've seen great results from friends using iPhone speakers. I think sugar cubes are the same thing, not sure.
The trick is to build a good baffle for the sound to be rich.
Of course this is all just what I've heard from friends.

What I am looking for are enclosed speakers .... I would just like to know what brands have consistently good speakers with a wide frequency response
Ah, I've got nothing to help you with. I've not used any of the pre-enclosed type. I should probably get some of them and experiment just so I can answer questions like this.

What the enclosure is made from also has a lot to do with how the speaker sounds. I find I get a much richer sound by making my enclosures from thin 3-ply plywood that ship model builders use. There's a reason that quality home stereo speakers are made of wood. Imagine what they would sound like mounted in a plastic tote box ! ;)

Mark.

Back