Larry's Model RR Empire

After following along all the build threads it's neat to see it all come together in one trip, great video Larry!
I've got a small camera that sends the signal to a TV, wonder if I can record it....

Guess after the 1st of the Year I'm going to have to get rid of some more Engines & Stuff. I don't have enough tracks or sidings for all of the engines I have. So, going to have to part ways w/some. Some of my older freight cars too. I'll let you know way ahead of time when I get ready.:(
There's always some roll around plastic storage units with drawers from the local Staples. That's what I use for my excess that either won't fit on the layout or on the storage shelves (with rails) I have over the layout. The ones I have have like 6 drawers.

Guess after the 1st of the Year I'm going to have to get rid of some more Engines & Stuff. I don't have enough tracks or sidings for all of the engines I have. So, going to have to part ways w/some. Some of my older freight cars too. I'll let you know way ahead of time when I get ready.:(

That sucks. I agree the Roll Around drawer units are great. Maybe some "Rubbermaid" Storage and swap the stuff out quarterly or something along those lines? But if you do decide to sell some stuff I'm sure theirs plenty of people on this site willing to help you off load.

Larry this may be a dumb question, but is that a second track in the pics?
I can just imagine a real walmart loosing a corner to clear a car!
Can't wait for mine to arrive, may be hot on your heels with the angle grinder...

Well Larry, I finally caved in and bought the schnabel car like you have lol. I found a good deal on ebay I couldnt pass up. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+scale+schnabel+car&_sacat=See-All-CategoriesThey still have 6 of the red car with grey loads for $146 at a buy it now price if anyone else is interested, as well as some other paint schemes. This is the cheapest i have found them compared to regular hobby sites online. If someone else has a cheaper place they have found feel free to share, but I just figured I would pass on what I knew!

Mounted my Video camera on a Flat Car today to do the Schnabel Car Video which I will probably load this afternoon. A 10 min. Video takes me 4 hrs. to load on YouTube & I have DSL.:confused:
No reason to be confused - DSL ain't that fast. Typical advertised speeds are either 768k bps or 3m bps and that's when things are good and the lines and connection boxes are dry. Remember that dsl travels over the old copper lines which go back decades easily, and we all know how copper can corrode over time. When I had Verizon dsl years back (had the 3 meg setup) it often dipped to the same speed or even slower as my old 56k dialup connection.

Don't know if you have Verizon down there and can get their FIOS hookup. Blazingly fast as in 20 to 25 meg bps minimum. Depending on server load and time of day 1 Gb files transfer in a couple of minutes.

Looking forward to the video.

FIOS here is expensive. I'm probably going w/a new company out of Tampa in about 2 weeks. They bolt a satelite dish on your roof & aim it towards one of their towers for $47.95 a month. Gives me 5 Gigs of download/upload. The initial coast is $150.00 for the dish & all of the modems. Everyone around here loves it. They say it takes about 10 mins. to upload a 10 min. video or faster. So far this video is only 57% uploaded.
My total FIOS bill for TV, phone & internet is $148/month. As to 5 gigs of download/upload - if you do any amount of internet at all you'll burn through that much in a couple of weeks.

I don't do Satellite TV or Home phone anymore. Got tired of being ripped off by my phone co., satellite TV & a large DSL bill everymonth. They kept going up on the bill although I never added anything.
FIOS has a limit of their system & if you go over it's more money. The system I'm going with has unlimted up & downloads w/a 5 Gig program & a ton of xtra's. No sales tax or state tax or fed tax, bed tax, air tax or bathroom tax.:D:):rolleyes::cool:
Good you found something that works for you. FIOS doesn't have a limit for their customers that I know of unless you're running some sort of server; for those of us residential users there is none. Wireless is another matter and that division is a separate one from terrestrial FIOS.

In the other hand I've never seen a satellite system that doesn't have a limit on monthly data. You go over that and you're in major debt. One dirty little secret is that these satellite people don't tell you exactly what they include in their data limits. If you ever wonder why sometimes graphics-laden websites are slow to load - that's because of all the data being downloaded to your computer and that becomes part of your data usage.

As to cost mine only went up once after the introductory teaser rate and has stayed steady at that $148. I forgot to mention that also includes an HD dvr; drop that and the rate goes down.

Larry:
As to the derailments if it's diesels, check to see that both trucks can move in their mountings without restriction. I had one on my HO layout a couple of weeks ago that would derail while pushing a cut of cars through an Atlas code 83 switch that I knew was okay (the switch that is). Just to try out if it was the switch that had somehow gone out of gauge I turned the loco around and it went through the switch forward and backward perfectly.

Took the hood and cab off (they're separate piece) and it ran okay no matter which way it faced. Put the cab and hood back on and it started acting up again. Took the cab & hood off and it was okay. Detective work saw what was happening: the motor leads going to one truck were getting between the truck tower and the cab preventing that truck from properly pivoting up and down creating a tracking problem. Re-routed the wires and everything is okay.

I really wish someone made decals for those bombardier cars. I have a few painted in PRR and would like to add the stuff that came off when striping.

What happened to all the posts here (with the exception of the first one back in 2010) from Larry (long winded old fart - his words under his forum name)? I see he started another thread but there was a whole bunch of his posts here. Did they get deleted, moved, or what? Kind of makes this thread look weird.

Back