Larry's Model RR Empire

You have a lot a neat stuff Larry.
If I ever get around to making a trip to my brothers in Pompano Beach I'm gonna have to look you up.

Nice layout Larry! Thanks for sharing photos of it.

Can you tell me a bit about the the red passenger train with the big nose?

Thanks!

Love the intermodal crane. Is this HO scale? Is the crane scratch built or a kit? I want to do an HO layout with a container yard at some point in the future.

When I worked in Charleston, West Virginia in 1988 as a salesman for Zee medical Serv. I rented an Apartment in Belle, WV that was fairly close to some huge coal train yards. I use to spend almost every sat. & sun. there w/my old 35mm camera. When I went home just before dark I was usually covered in Coal Dust. I could only get about 100 ft. from the local haulers which back then was close. I never realized how dirty that place was until I left.
Now, all of my coal on the layout is glued in. I use to leave it loose, but everytime I had a derailment most of it got dumped. I have plastic coal, real coal & water filter coal. Not much dust here. I kinda miss WV. I use to spend a lot of days servicing the coal mines in the hills when I worked there. Just before I left in Dec. of 88 I stood up on the overpass above the yards & took tons of linked pictures. Don't have them anymore though.

When I see a hopper that I remember one history from life...

It was in 1991. Then I served in the Soviet army in territory of Belarus, in the Lida city.
We went to wash in a bath once a week, and to us gave out new linen. And we always very much rejoiced to it)))
But that time to us haven't allowed to have fun... To us right after a bath in new linen have sent on errands to unload hoppers with coal... We cleaned these cars shovels... Us was one platoon (15 persons). There was a strong night rain. We have unloaded in manual 2 cars.

Since then when I see coal to me at once it would be desirable in a bath)))

I just went through this thread for the first time today, and like everyone else has been saying, IMPRESSIVE!! The idea to use old tower fans for skyscrapers is genius! My gf has one and I am looking at it right now, soooo tempted to steal it and put it on our layout haha. But that is definately something I am keeping in mind when we do a city/industrial area

i often shop harbor fright stuff myself as well, but had a moment of revelation recently. my father in-law gifted me a set of his old side cutters he used at work - made by Klein tools, apparently 60-80$ a pair . oh goodness, these things bite through hefty wood nails, and there is no sign on the cutting edges (thats after years of him using it before me). then i look at my set from HF and its deformed jaws after cutting through wire-hangers... i guess the steel used makes all the difference. really makes me wonder just how long HF stuff will last.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tooter would be so proud :D

Excellent work as usual Larry. That heavyweight truck ought to be more than enough to support that caboose :D

Hey Larry, :)

Nice job! :)

attachment.php

It's like a bobber caboose on steriods. ;)

Now you need to make some more shortys to go with it... ;)

Greg

Oh Oh! Looks like "Tooteritis" is catchy? Nice little boose!
The crushed walnut shells are also used for sandblasting, we have a pneumatic semi full at work and it does make great ballast. It comes in three grades, the fine is the best.

Ah! But in fairness to the glue, when I took the screws out of mine the pieces didn't come apart easily, in fact some are still glued together. In the new layout (if I ever get started on it) the max radius will be less than the 34" probably 30" on the new one.
Best of luck on the modification.
Cheers
Willis

Recent EBay purchase for $20.00. I really hated to pay that much for a Bombadier car since I paid $41.00 for the pak of 3 when they 1st came out.
Then I checked the price at an on-line hobby shop & they are going for $39.00 ea.:eek: Now I don't feel so bad.:D:)

Nice find Larry!

When i was in Florida this past Spring, we traveled from Ft. Lauderdale airport to the Port of Miami. The route parallels the track for probably 95% of the trip. It was like a 40 min ride, and i didnt see any Tri-Rail equipment, only the passenger stations and signs. I did see some FEC stuff though. That was the first time i had ever seen spine cars and articulated well cars too. I also saw what looked like a BNSF locomotive when we were in the air, another first. The tracks outside of the Miami Airport are filled with cool stuff. Thats where i saw the spine and well cars. I also saw some TOFC and woodchip hoppers in the same little yard. Youve got alot of interesting stuff down there in FL Larry.

Ill have some of those Bombardier cars when i build a layout, they wont run through 18in curves that I have now. :rolleyes::D

Hey Larry, :)

Wow... you've been busy! :eek:

Is that really high bridge going to have tracks on it, or is it going to be a road?

Greg

2 mainline Tracks. There's a lot more to add underneath & behind the bridge.

That's a really dramatic feature, Larry. :) It reminds me of the high bridges John Allen built. Don't race your trains around that curve! :eek:

Greg

Back