Junker restorations/rehabs

The DD40 Neverwazza is out and about (couplings still to be fitted though)
20230801_090131.jpg

20230801_090137.jpg

It doesn't quite fit in the shed though...
20230801_090449.jpg

The Neverwazza: This one leaves me confused, and certainly uninformed. We have here a DD40. Just off the top of my head, and looking at the side lighting, I would speculate this might be even an old Blue-box Athearn model. However I can't remember if the Athearn loco then sported the (corrected) 70" or 72" hoods/bodies. Failing memory sucks.

But then I also see the ink printed double circular colored SP logo on the frame rail (the middle photo), red and white and perfectly aligned...and the engineers windshield which looks like a half dozen .22s have been shot through the glass...

...and I know I'm seeing seeing a diesel built and sold much further along. So this certainly has to have a 70" wide hood.

And what looks like a plethora of detail parts. Air conditioner for one. Flat radio antenna for another.

Neverwazza? Pshaw. My own entire free-lance-prototype railroad is like that. And a lot of it is influenced second hand by what the SP did.

Indeed it is an ancient Athearn Blue Box model of a loco model that was (apparently) in EMD's catalogue but never built with the standard cab.

I like odd balls and one off models and this one was only ten quid so I bought it on instinct and just used my imagination and whatever spares bits I had.

It's body is a fatso era one but the cab and nose have been replaced with Cannon parts.

If I did another one, I would use a cab and nose from a later Athearn correct width blue box tunnel motor probably.

Here's another one, 99% done;

arhm0ds.jpg

8jfChUy.jpg
Really imaginative. And a tunnel motor would be a true eye-catcher at any meet for sure. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to go full-see-throughs too, with a motor above each truck. No truck gearstacks sticking up inside the middle sections anyway. Of course that's easy for me to say, not being the potential builder.

I did this one a while back. Realized after the pictures I missed painting the grabs above the cut levers.

WyPE9Ab.jpg

RSAndle.jpg
If I had to guess a color, I would go yellow on those, not black. Unfortunately the three photos I could find of Seaboard SD-45's (all B&W photos) don't show that horizontal grab at all, as all three no longer sport front /rear end foot boards, or were delivered without them.

Was this purchased second-hand from another road perhaps?

In any case, that's sure a purty paint scheme there.

The Seaboard loco is a Athearn blue box. I do not rely on prototype pictures entirely for the work I do. I make what looks nice to me.

Last edited:
A couple of recent acquisitions, first from a job lot of spares or repair was this Athearn old school Blue Box GP9 or GP7 (I have never been entirely sure which!) which a previous owner had repainted into a fictional shortline Eagle Valley livery:
20230809_125112.jpg

It was going to be a source of parts based on the poor ebay auction lot photos but it turned out to be a good runner so I cleaned it up, redid the lettering and numbering in the original style and added numberboards and four letter Railroad codes.

Another fictional shortline auction lot arrived a few days ago:
20230809_131548.jpg

Again, turned out much better than the auction photos and I was the only bidder. Previous owner has done a marvellous job on the Athearn Blue Box tunnel motor so I just reattached the aircon unit that had come off in transit, added a plough and new couplings and it is ready to go.

I seem to have an awful lot of Athearn Blue Box SW types on my work bench at the moment...

20230818_134401.jpg

The green one is nearing completion for a small photographic plank based shortline i am currently putting together, 1001 is an old weathered and detailed model I acquired some time back that has just been remotored as the original was blowing the trips on the controller, one SP one is lined up for full detailing and repaint and the rest is the spare parts pool.

Another fictional shortline auction lot arrived a few days ago:
View attachment 172670

Again, turned out much better than the auction photos and I was the only bidder. Previous owner has done a marvellous job on the Athearn Blue Box tunnel motor so I just reattached the aircon unit that had come off in transit, added a plough and new couplings and it is ready to go.
As Frank Drebon from Police Squad would say: "Nice beaver".

Back