Is the transition era the most popular

N

NP2626

It is has been stated that the Transition Era is the most popular era to model. However, I see many manufacturers seem far more dedicated to the more modern eras. There are less and less forty foot cars being offered and more modern stuff is taking over. Are the manufacturers missing the boat; or, are they right on in what they feel sells?

It is has been stated that the Transition Era is the most popular era to model. However, I see many manufacturers seem far more dedicated to the more modern eras. There are less and less forty foot cars being offered and more modern stuff is taking over. Are the manufacturers missing the boat; or, are they right on in what they feel sells?
I felt this transition - pun intended - about ten years ago at an exhibition show where two people came up and asked if "more modern" models were available than the equipment we were running. I don't think the appeal of steam is strong enough in the up coming generation to compete with actually modeling the transition era. People generally like what the know / see so it makes sense as people who've seen modern equipment all their life are going to want to model it. It seems these days those who want to run steam just "throw in an excursion train" to justify it.

I know this doesn't answer your base question, I can only guess the manufacturers have done their due diligence research before they produce a model.

If the manufacturers are filling orders, they're not going broke. If the importers can pay for their orders, they're not going broke. If those who sell and distribute are doing reasonably well, they must have a solid grasp of their market. So, modern or old-timey, whatever brings in the profits and cash flow is what keeps the hobby humming.

Most of us in the hobby know little about steam, except what we see now and then during summer excursions. Those who operated steam or who witnessed lots of it are in their mid-sixties and older, so they're on their way out the door. What's left to drive the market is those who are excited about trains they witness. In time, that has to be more modern conveyances and locomotive power. I would say that the Transition Era is doing very well, and should continue to do well for about the next 15-20 years. After that, it'll slip down into the 10-15% range of the total hobby market.

I was born in 1962, which might be considered the early to mid 2nd generation diesel period. I don't remember steam, except from visiting tourist railroads, or 'steam excursions,' like the AFT, or Chessie Steam Special, to name 2.

I'm modeling from about 1968 to about 1990 or so, with a few exceptions. At some point, I drew the line, so to speak, regarding modeling anything much beyond then, based on space considerations, given the larger radius required by longer and longer diesels, and equipment, and manufacturer's commitment to prototype fidelity, and getting away from freight cars with talgo trucks, shorty version, and models that could negotiate 18" radii curves. At some point, I decided that I could live with GP35s, 40s, and SD45s, but I found that when Athearn came out with its SD40-2's that they had a longer wheelbase, than some of my other diesels of that period, like the SD45. The Transition Period was the theme of a lot of model railroads at that time.

I decided relatively early on that while steam could be interesting, what 'turned me on' in those days, were DD40AXs, GTEL turbines, DD35s, U50's, and large 'diesels' like that, which I saw as being the 'huge locomotives of my youth.' I've picked up models of DD40s, U50's, and am looking to ad a GTEL Turbine to my collection, just like older people wanted say to have a Big Boy, and Challenger. I'm more of a PRR T-1 and C&O Allegheny fan, or EM-1 fan, although I haven't got any of these yet.

Being that I model the Reading, mainly, I do have an RDG T-1, and a few other steamers, but they aren't in 'everyday service.' My other main interest is in electrified operations, such as the PRR, VGN, GN, NH, MILW, plus a few others, as I used to ride the NEC back in the late 60's & early 70's as a child. I'm' building a protolanced' layout, which will reflect the 1975-1990 period, that's a branch of the NEC, with E60's, E33's EP/EF3/4s, AEM 7s, and a few other models.

Hope this answers your question.

By my experience at my club, which is a little isolated from your home experience, we probably run a much wider international prototype range, the American gear is mostly modern. We do have a few who are railroad specific but they tend to be interested in the transition era, with big steam much favoured. Other clubs I've been too, it's mostly modern. On the other hand, those of British descent and young or older, very much favor their steam, with a smattering of diesel. Australian profile modellers seem to cover all eras, with modern getting more popular since RTR's became available. We have a large S scale Queensland RR contingent, which is supported by a local manufacturer of cast metal kits. He now offers a decent range in HOn3.5 for the 12mm track that's been around a while now. Other brands are available too. We've never had it so good. There are Euro modellers as well.

otiscnj I could be wrong; but, I would say that 1962 would have still been in the 1st generation of diesel power era.

I know that many model an era like you described as from 1975 to 1990. I understand this as it gives you a wide selection of equipment to run. The way that we choose to model is a choice that we get to make and is a part of the fun of the hobby. Myself, I chose the year 1953 as my focal point. I can not buy or use models that where not in use by 1953. This includes automobiles. Jack Burgess, who models the Yosemite Valley Railroad on a specific day in August of 1939, is someone totally dedicated to documenting a specific railroad at a specific time. My guess is that clubs have a difficult time getting members to pick specific times to model. I see many videos from clubs where modern diesels run along side steam.

I chose the transition because I like F-units, GP-7s and older Alco and Baldwin diesels along with steam on the N.P.

I do think the claim that the transition era is the most popular, no long applies and that more modern eras have supplanted this claim

Transition era is probably still the most popular, but it is stagnant now and will eventually shrink in popularity. Younger and newer modelers are buying more modern 2nd generation through 4th generation equipment, which is what manufacturers are making. Crandell hit the nail on the head with his post.
My opinion is that 1962 was the beginning of 2nd generation. GP30's (1961) and U25B'2 (1960) are generally considered the earliest 2nd generation diesels. Lots of 1st generation diesels were obviously still on the rosters.

Willie

You are correct: I can hardly find anything in my era.

horse-drawn.jpg

Nearly everything is steam powered now.

Steam was long gone when I was born. The trains of my teens were Conrail freights and Amtrak. I modeled the current era as it was the easiest to find information on. I lived it.

Then I got the bug from seeing the logging and industrial railroads to model small steam in 1925. One key factor for me was Accurail making kits and Bachmann making small sound equipped locomotives. Short cars easily go around sharp curves.

Fortunately many cars for my era were ending their useful life during the transition era.

Modeling the roaring 20's
President of the Lancaster Central Railroad
President of the Western Maryland Railway

I have seen the results from a number of readers surveys and the transition era is supposed to be the most popular. Many of us older modelers grew up when steam was still around. I personally model the transition era, 1957 to be exact as that when I grew up and still have memories of not only seeing steam locomotives, but have also ridden in them. I am also fond of first generation diesels.

Manufacturers do seem to be releasing a lot more modern equipment. That's what people see now on the rails. I do feel a bit left out when I get ads from MB Klein, Walthers and other promoting modern equipment that is of no use to me because it is way too modern. Maybe that's good in a way as some items are pretty expensive, thus saving me money. Grin.gif

Yeah. I once thought about making up an alternative era and rolling stock for my layout. I would 'abandon' the branch line. Two locomotives and about 25 cars would do it. I think the latest is cool. But I have other priorities in life than paying for model trains.

I spent around $6000 to build my nscale fleet when I was modeling modern era.

I have spent a lot less building a fleet of 1920's rolling stock. Now I could blow that kind of money on rtr rolling stock. But thankfully only a few of these cars really fit
my operating scheme. I spent alot for the two passenger cars, the express reefer and a kaydee industrial caboose.

Modeling the roaring 20's
President of the Lancaster Central Railroad
President of the Western Maryland Railway

I am lucky that I really haven't spent too much. Before I started my layout, I had a plan to model the transition era before the first tie was laid down. I am in HO scale now after tearing out an N scale layout in the late 70's mainly due to the extremely poor locomotive quality at that time. Frustrating. Also not much of a choice in locomotives or raod names like is available today. Using the old basic framework from the N scale layout, I started hand laying code 70 track and turnouts. (Liked the size of the rail plus it was cheaper than buying track and turnouts).

While laying track, I also started working on my locomotives and rolling stock. Started with Athearn locomotives which were probably among the best affordable ones at the time and then moved to Atlas and their line of Alco locomotives which I custom painted for my freelance railroad. At the same time I started working on my rolling stock. I custom painted a lot of them as well as assembling factroy painted cars. All from the transition era.

I really got anal about having nothing on the layout newer than 1957, even going to the point of reading the tiny reporting marks and build dated on the equipment. No locomotive is newer than what was available in 1957. Over the years I also have built up a pretty good collection of vehicles, and none are newer than 1957.

After 30 some years after starting the layout, the last of the track is down and the layout is probably 95% complete and the layout is working just as designed, for switching, with all of the proper locomotives, rolling stock and vehicles on the layout. I managed not dropping large amounts of $$$ into the layout at any one time, but gradually and slowly moved ahead with the layout.Being that quite a lot of my locomotives and rolling stock is ancient by todays standards, not much was spent compared to todays prices.

Now I can spend hours just enjoying operating the layout. Model railroading IS fun.

I don't know how many folks pay attention to that but I always have my magnifiers handy just to make sure that things are correct. I real pain with custom paint when the decals are white on white paper.

For me there is nothing in model railroading that can compare to a steam loco with the side rods and valve gear doing their thing as she pulls a string of transition era cars down the right of way! I simply can't see how anyone, even those who model 2017 wouldn't be inspired. Then, transition era diesels had many different styles to them, they do not all look the same as one another. We are attracted to what ever we are attracted to for what ever reason. I'm also a history buff. in 1953, the era I model, I was 3 years old and I have to say I can barely remember working steam. The fact that I remember so very little really seems to have very little with why I model what I model. It's the history that attracts me. Next week I am going to my first Northern Pacific Railway Historical Association (NPRHA) convention in Duluth Minnesota. This is a part of that history thing!

Doesn't every one do that? Not only the build date but the latest inspection date(s) should be older than the time being modeled.

I do pay attention to the build date. I admit, I didn't know enough to look at the last inspection date(s)! I guess if I find any that are newer than the year I model, I will have to get rid of the car, back date the inspection date's year; or, maybe not care! After all, if I can spend 30 years building my layout and not notice this, is it logical that someone else will notice such esoteric and tiny information?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm lucky, being so far away and even fewer people know anything about that sort of thing, I can get away with being a bit ignorant. I'm sort of more in the region of Pelle Soeberg, as I've got several MRL locos with the new logo, which pushes me up in dates. I've got locos in the earlier logos/numbers that are no longer on the prototype roster and were scrapped after the date the latest logo appeared. To complicate matters, I believe, some of the SD45's that had been repainted in the new scheme, also got scrapped, and some 4 axles that were likewise, got sold off. Weird eh!

I don't consider myself a river counter, but I try to remain as accurate as I possibly can. I imagine that even the best detailed model can have some discrepancies if it were to be put under a microscope.

Back