In Celebration of the CSX.

Grande Man, I guess CSX is so broke they can't even replace number boards anymore?? That is a beautifully lit photo you took. Great job as always!!!!

Jerome, I think they spent it all on track and signal upgrades...

Here's another (later) shot of 2247 at Cullman taken earlier tonight.
2462843859_64b2415385_o.jpg

Eric, what kind of exposure did you use to get that shot? I've never seen the yellow birds over this way. Just the light gray slugs.

Eric, what kind of exposure did you use to get that shot? I've never seen the yellow birds over this way. Just the light gray slugs.

This one was taken with the 40D/EF 17-40 f4L combo at f8, ISO 200 for 25 seconds. Lighting is from nearby street lights.

We saw a 30 slug a while back in the bright future scheme.

Nice photo under tough conditions, Eric. That really is turning into a rolling rust bucket, even for a slug. I have yet to understand why the CSX engines I see down here seem to be about half nice and half in just awful looking condition. Maybe it's just the Montgomery area but the engineers are constantly complaining on the radio that half the consist dies before they get 20 miles from the yard.

Nice photo under tough conditions, Eric. That really is turning into a rolling rust bucket, even for a slug. I have yet to understand why the CSX engines I see down here seem to be about half nice and half in just awful looking condition. Maybe it's just the Montgomery area but the engineers are constantly complaining on the radio that half the consist dies before they get 20 miles from the yard.

Yeah, some of the slugs can be rough, but we need to keep in mind that they many of them are 45 years old!

As for the rest of the fleet, I'm not sure the CSX has any more problems than the competition. There's always room for improvement, but #$%^ happens, ya know.

They have been spending millions on track upgrades. Maybe loco renovations are next. ;)

No, Eric, the CSX down here is having significant motive power problems. I mointor both the NS and CSX and the CSX engineers report problem engines in their consists at least five time more often than I hear on the NS channels. I know you're a CSX fan but something is wrong, at least in this area. Not only are the consists suffering more breakdowns but the attitudes of both the engineers and dispatchers is getting downright surly. Yelling matches on the radio are quite common. :(

No, Eric, the CSX down here is having significant motive power problems. I mointor both the NS and CSX and the CSX engineers report problem engines in their consists at least five time more often than I hear on the NS channels. I know you're a CSX fan but something is wrong, at least in this area. Not only are the consists suffering more breakdowns but the attitudes of both the engineers and dispatchers is getting downright surly. Yelling matches on the radio are quite common. :(

Hum, I only monitor the radio while actually out shooting/railfanning so maybe I'm missing it, but I haven't heard as many locomotive issues. There are some, to be sure, but that's part of the game.

I've certainly not heard any yelling on the radio. There are occasional comments on the dispatching though. I always just chalked it up to being human nature to complain.

It's true that I'm a CSX fan. Their fore runner was very historic to this area, their folks have treated LGM and I very well over the years and they have colorful paint schemes. What's not to like. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shots as usual, Eric. Some rare clear blue skies in August for us, really makes the trains look even better.

Thanks Jim. Here's a shot from today. I call it Afternoon Express.

Northbound train blurs across the Mulberry Fork outside Garden City, Al
2854145101_9b796483c0_o.jpg

Excellent shots as always Eric! I remember standing in exactly that location (old Hwy 31 bridge) where you got that last 'action' photo, during my August visit.

Excellent shots as always Eric! I remember standing in exactly that location (old Hwy 31 bridge) where you got that last 'action' photo, during my August visit.

Thanks Ken.

That was a fun day on the S&NA North! :cool:

LGM and I were talking yesterday on the way home from our railfanning about how much we've enjoyed train watching on the CSX. It's close to home, there are usually a good number of trains running and the folks on the CSX locally are the best. It all adds up to fun! :cool:

Nice shot, Eric. Being a bridge buff, that's an unusual type. It must have been built around 1900, when engineering standards and materials were different than today. The span crossing Mulberry Fork must be the longest one between piers and the curved cord deck truss was to carry the heavier loads of the longer span. Today, they'd just build a straight truss because of stonger steel and better connections. It's a very graceful design compared to the utilitarian designs we see today.

Nice shot, Eric. Being a bridge buff, that's an unusual type. It must have been built around 1900, when engineering standards and materials were different than today. The span crossing Mulberry Fork must be the longest one between piers and the curved cord deck truss was to carry the heavier loads of the longer span. Today, they'd just build a straight truss because of stonger steel and better connections. It's a very graceful design compared to the utilitarian designs we see today.

Jim, in addition to the great backgroud info you provided, the bridge used to be double tracked.

Here's a new shot from the CSX...

CSX 4732 leads an empty westbound coal train at mp 400 near Winetka on a former section of the old L&N Birmingham Mineral RR north branch. The bridge in the background is part of the former Tennessee Coal and Iron (US Steel) "High Line" that dates to the mid 1920s and connected the Fairfield and Ensley steel mills to the company's red ore iron mines on Red Mountain. The High Line will potentially be developed into a greenway connected to Birmingham's new Red Mountain Park.

3172179742_6c5381bc7e_o.jpg

Man. that looks like Saluda grade in that photo, Eric. :) How steep is the actual grade? That old bridge would be an interesting addition to the park. What kind of shape is it in?

Man. that looks like Saluda grade in that photo, Eric. :) How steep is the actual grade? That old bridge would be an interesting addition to the park. What kind of shape is it in?

My track chart only shows it at 1.25%. Welcome to the world of telephoto compression. :)

The high line bridges are in good shape. They are structurally sound, but need paint.

It really does look a lot steeper than 1.25%, not saying that that's a small grade either. I'm glad to hear the high line bridges are in good structural condition. Maybe they can one day be restored to their rightful use.

Jim, the bridges on the high line would only be used for foot and light vehicle traffic. There is a section of the high line near I65 (Fairfield) that still sees railroad use.

Paul, thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoy the CSX images.

Back