In Celebration of the CSX.

Eric, I guess I missed the high line bridges on I65. What exit are they near?

BTW, have you been listening to the defect detectors lately? You can tell car loading is really falling off. Seems to me that average train length before July was about 4500 feet. Now it's down to about 3000 feet.

Eric, I guess I missed the high line bridges on I65. What exit are they near?

BTW, have you been listening to the defect detectors lately? You can tell car loading is really falling off. Seems to me that average train length before July was about 4500 feet. Now it's down to about 3000 feet.

The bridges are by the USS plant at Fairfield. I'm not sure what the nearest exit it.

I hadn't really noticed the shorter trains, but it sure does seem like the traffic is lighter than it was a few months back. :( I hope things pick back up soon. Heck, fewer and shorter trains aside, LGM and I may just go shoot some CSX action again soon. ;)

1-10-09009.jpg

Crew switches the yard in Garrett, IN on a snowy January morning.

Cool shot, Joe (really cool). Those must have been some tough conditions for railroader and railfan alike!

LGM and I had a great weekend railfanning. After a wonderful day with the alrails group yesterday, we shot at Cullman this afternoon. I think we saw more trains in the last two days than the last two weeks! Life is good. :)

Night falls as a southbound coal drag blasts thru Cullman enroute to Birmingham.
3264727587_5ab6935883_o.jpg

You lucky dog! I missed our one train through Prattville today because I was in church. :(

They were running strong again today Jim! LGM and I spent the day in Decatur and had a blast. Here are a couple of night shots from the trip.

Power on Tap... Decatur Beltline
3336548943_371ec2201c_o.jpg

3336548379_e11b8a4cf9_o.jpg

Here are a few images from this past week in Birmingham. I got a lew lens and had to try it out. ;)

Almost there... A CSX northbound clears the crossing at Shannon Rd and heads toward Red Mountain's Graces Gap for its entry into Birmingham.
3327708483_f7ae97dd73_o.jpg

Southbound train at Oxmoor.
3332323666_0209ea37e4_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, sounds like you and LGM had a great day. Only problem is, all your images are showing up as the dreaded red "X". :( Something apparently went haywire.

Afternoon all. Eric,I see you and Trey have been busy. I managed to catch a few CSX Trains down off US 280,around the towns of Westover and Sterrett. As I was returning Saturday Morning,the day before the big snow, my scanner stated to pick up radio traffic off the old ACL that runs next too Highway 280. The first pic is of a freight waiting to go North. They were waiting on two Southbounds. William.

The second train was a short local headed south most likely to do some switching,before going on to Waycross GA.

The third and final train was a MOW train. I don't know exactly where they going,I guess to a site further down towards Talladega,maybe even Coosa Pines. But one thing about the motive power,was how new it looked. The engines looked as though they had been out of the paint shop only short while.:cool:.William.

I can see'um! I can see'um!

Nice shots Eric, but they show a better quality than what you take. Must have been Trey.:rolleyes::D

I can see them now too. Amazing shot of the train on the downgrade with all the exhaust heat distortion, Eric (or Trey :) ). Good shots from you too, William. That siding sure looks like it has a nasty right bank to it. :eek:

Thanks Rex... (Where's my shoot the bird emoticon when I need it???:D:D:D)

Jim, glad you can see more than the dredded X now. Heat waves are something the new supertelephoto lens is good at recording, thanks for the comments on the shot.

Back