If you were to work for a railroad, which one would it be and what position?

AstroKnight187

All time periods, all positions.

I’ll go first: CSX engineer. Always wanted to be in the cab of a living beast driving through a level crossing or over a bridge

I’ll go first: CSX engineer. Always wanted to be in the cab of a living beast driving through a level crossing or over a bridge
Ha, I am, Union Pacific. Systems Engineer. Never get close to a train.

But I would think the ideal job would be the engineer of a Z-6, 7, 8 or A class steamer on the point of the North Coast Limited of the Northern Pacific. Why? The NP had some of the finest mountain scenery in the country, and the track work was superior to that of its northern competition the Great Northern. The Z class of locomotives were the finest, fastest, Challenger class locomotives built, and the A class Northerns were not only the original Northerns but the top of their class too in speed (Santa Fe 2900 were the most powerful). The North Coast Limited was on a tight schedule and was run very fast, and the freights better be out of the way. The later As, A-4 and A-5, had all weather cabs for those cold winter night runs.

Second choice I think would be the St. Louis Union Terminal West Tower operator between 1930 and 1950. St. Louis was the "grand daddy of them all" serving both east and west coast as well as south railroads. Watching the daily arrival and departure of so many passengers and the evolution of passenger equipment would have been thrilling, especially with a good camera by ones side. All most all the other major cities (most notably Chicago) had the trains split up amongst several stations, in St. Louis they were all right in one spot.

Not sure if you are new here or not, but you might check into the Youtube channel "djstrains." That's exactly what dj does for a living--CSX engineer.

Rhätische Bahn Lokführer. I can't think of any better place to drive a train than the high Swiss Alps.

bahnreise_wiesnerviadukt_bex_rhb-andreabadrutt_0.jpg

Last edited:
This is kind of a challenging question. And longer response than I intended, but it is a question that I felt deserved a little longer explanation, and it is no where near complete.
I started as a locomotive machinist (RR term for mechanic) in the early 1990's at the former DRGW Burnham shops in Denver. And retired a few years ago as a locomotive engineer in Grand Junction CO. I rode and ran locomotives lettered for DRGW, SP, UP, BN, ATSF, and finally BNSF. Never moved out of my house via mergers, buyouts, trackage rights. Was on every piece of track between Denver and SLC (except Craig branch). I miss running a engine 1 or 10 of them. Never got tired of looking at the Rockies, especially after a good snow, going down the front range, pushing snow above the plow didnt see the track, it was like we were gliding down the mountain. Running 15,000+ ton trains in control of all that power was cool I will admit, and on mountain grades could get interesting real quick like. I also miss the people I worked with. Never ever, got tired of waiving back at the kids and giving them a little whistle.
But the way these RR's have gotten towards their own people not sure I would recommend working for any of them. But hey you might like it, especially if you want no life of your own, dont mind missing just about every important event in you families lives, being on call 24hrs a day 365 days unless your on vac, oh yea the vacation you get until you get 10-15 years of seniority will not be on any good holidays, more likely will be Jan, Feb. There are rest cycles being implemented, but I dont know how they will work out in the long run. They give you days off for personal reasons but almost never give them to you when you want them. From the day you get hired the RR is looking for a way to discipline you, keep you in line. Your on camera just about all the time, course its like that about anywhere I bet. I dont miss getting called at 10PM for a midnight train knowing I was going to be on that train till noon-ish the next day, oh yea you mowed the lawn and tried to fix a few things around the house and basically got no sleep before you got the call, because the train line-up said you werent going to work till the next day, you just got called 12-14 hrs early is all, happens all the time.
If it was me? I might consider getting a position that has fixed days off and a 5 day work week. Good luck finding that on the RR nowadays. A good friend who is a trainer for conductor new hires, told me they had a class of 10 starting and after the first morning break only 2 returned to the class, that should tell you a few things.

Last edited:
I’d love to go back to a nice slow paced short line running thru some forests and hills along a lake.
Didn’t know just how great it was… too bad the unions killed it. 😞

Back