Identifying locos for DCC

Paul,

Thank you for your inquiry, this model technically is not DCC ready however you may want to check with aftermarket decoder manufacturers such as TCS and Digitrax, they offer drop in style decoders that may be compatible with this locomotive.

-Athearn Help

So, they are saying this loco can be fitted with a dcc decoder for dcc operation?
Yes, I am of the opinion that any model can be fitted with a DCC decoder for DCC operation, it is just a matter how hard it will be. As I said before the spilt frame design can be problematic in doing that conversion because the most important thing about conversion is to isolate the motor from the frame. The hope here would be that once those two center contacts are de-soldered/un-contacted from the circuit board, that those are the only motor contacts, and wa-la the motor is isolated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that Kato you linked to, might be taking another look at it before long, although I really don't need it. I much prefer the gull wing locos. Not counting the Athearn, I have 4 locos. The first an Athearn SF DCC w/ sound, the second is one I made a dummy by removing the gears, and the electrical pick ups. then there are the two DC 8-40B's, I have a DCC decoder for one, and will get a decoder for the other.

consist1.jpgP1020940.JPGconsist 2.jpg

Paul,

Nice collection. Personally, All of my diesel engines (at present and not counting the AC6000 that is coming) are Kato and I am very impressed with them. If you are to buy another engine, I don't think you could wrong with Kato engines. Of course, there is always the exception.

The only thing with Kato is you don't seem to have a large choice in terms of DCC. What I mean is, you get a non DCC engine OR you get a Kobo Factory DCC engine with a TCS decoder. Trying to find one with sound is like looking for a needle in a hay stack as they (apparently) are "custom made" as ordered. If sound isn't a "big deal" for you, then you'll get a top quality DCC equipped engine.

I think that having the one loco with sound is enough for me. That Kato would make a nice Xmas present, wouldn't it. :)

If you haven't checked out Digitrax for that BNSF engine as yet, I would do so. It may be a true "drop in" DCC replacement for the lighting board. That reply from Athearn was a bit ambiguous, if, as mentioned the motor electrical connections and the motor itself are isolated from the frame, then yes it is DCC convertible. Digitrax Decoders are a high quality product.

A point about running DC only locos on a DCC layout and as you are using NCE as the command. The quick answer is No, you can't run DC only locos on the layout, you will burn out the motor etc.

Back