How to Make Trees and Shrubs

thanks Jos your compliments were those expected with more trepidation, because they coming from a master like you, in the construction of these trees, is truly rewarding ..... I will continue to follow you, to learn your techniques, and put them into practice ....
best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really learning a lot reading this thread. Master modellers are an inspiration.
Just when this year starts, I have finished this old elm.
The main trunks are made with straws and the braches and made with wire. Leaves by Sylflor
The scene is titled "And she said yes" but still unfinished.
dscn6792j.jpg

Nice cracks Modelico!

About the the "old elm"...
I think that watching how the branches and large twigs are placed on a tree is essentual to modelling them /shaping the frame of a tree...
When watching your picture of the old elm I think you can improve the look of the old elm much better/alot when modelling the branches more accurate /like real= covering the wires with a/some layers of fine claydust or very fine sawdust/modellingpasta?
Added 2 pictures of an old oak and an olivetree( well kind of....;) ) on wich you can see the branches goin from thick/heavy to small/thin....

Happy treebuilding!

Jos

Sometimes shrubs representing dry enviroments are needed. A good example of them are prickly pears. Some fruits (tiny glass beads used for ladies`necklaces and earrings )were included onto these H0 Spanish prickly pears made with cardboard.

dscn6565z.jpg

From my point of view they are quite alike, and anyway, while surfing the internet I have realized this tree has many different shapes and looks...certainly it is very difficult to model but, being totally honest, I think you got a very good specimen...congratulations on it!!

Well done Grove den. There very good , excelent idea that asparagus leaf.

Goed gevonden uitstekende boom ! ga dat ook eens proberen!

Hello Grove Den and all... this is definitely a 5stars+ thread, am registering to this site because of Jos' thread about the trees.. never made any diorama, now am so interested and going to make one in my spare time... Jos, am your fans of your work! very inspiring thread!

The thread is not used too much anymore AFAIK, but it is a sticky because the trees look so good! I mean, I am sure it is used to the extent that people make trees from it, but no one posts to it anymore ;)

Back