How do you set up your Power on a train?

When you run a train, how do you assigne Power

• Randomly, according to what is avalible when train is ready.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Always assign Locomotives to specific trains.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • A little of Both

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • I like to play baseball

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

joshjefflawn

Espeerailfan#1
Howdy yall. I went to run with a friend from the club that I belong to. Him and I were talking about, buying new power, and what Locomotives will go to what train.
I personally like to mix up my power, and kind of randomize what Locomotives run with what train.
For example. A the switch crew puts together a train ready to run up the hill. I might assign a pair of SD90MACS, and a SD45T-2 on the lead and a pair of SD70MACs assigned to helper service or I'll run three ACC4400CWs a SD70MAC with a pair of SD45T-2's assigned to helper service.
My friend, on the other hand has sertin locomotives assigned to sertin train. For example, if hes running his intermodle,he'll run his SD40-2s,if its his coal train, hill run AC6000CW's.
So I was just wondering what every one else does.

On most of the layouts that I've operated on there wasn't a formal way to assign power. The other layouts did assign power according to the "tonnage" to be moved and the ruling grade within that district.

The assignment of specific power to a train based on tonnage and the class of the train, was the practice of my favorite prototype.

I intend to do as it did.

Well if following prototype practices this is where it can get tricky. For example most railroads wont mix AC and DC units together but if they do then "Usually" A DC unit is supposed to lead the consist. As for mixing units they get mixed all the time, I think NS is the only RR that for a while matched consists with the same model of loco but I dont think they do it anymore. I have run trains with 4 GP38's, an SD40-2, and a GP40-2L in the consist hauling 140 +cars. Railroads would usually assign what is available and ready for the tonnage as you dont need 7 units on a short intermodal train but would for a long coal drag. Also selecting power for certain jobs comes into play to for example trains that service customers in route with track that cant handle 6 axle units. There are many possibilities depending what RR your trying to represent.

I have some locos that are assigned to certain trains and others that get pooled for extras and helpers. My yard is where engines get swapped out for East / West rotation.
There was a formula here somewhere that uses number of axles per number of cars, anyone know where it is??

I have some locos that are assigned to certain trains and others that get pooled for extras and helpers. My yard is where engines get swapped out for East / West rotation.
There was a formula here somewhere that uses number of axles per number of cars, anyone know where it is??

The formula that I remember is 2 cars per axle.

I model the Rock Island so like the prototype I run whatever is operational!:D

I run specific types of locomotives for certain trains, and some units have permanent assignments. I'm trying to mirror the practice of my prototype on this particular branch.

I have four mini-collections (heavy emphasis on the "mini" part...as in three engines and maybe four pieces of rolling stock in each collection) of fallen flags during the steam-diesel transition. I don't really have dual purpose engines. For example, the Niagaras did pull freight, but only did it routinely latterly. The NYC had their wonderful 4-8-2 Mohawks for freight while the S1b's were meant for passenger service. So, on my layout, only the Niagara pulls the heavyweights.

Similarly, my Y6b Mallet doesn't pull passenger service...only coal drags or mixed freight.

However, some "districts" require helper service, so I will sometimes double the Big Hill with a TTT-6 coupled to the main engine, the Greyhound Challenger. By itself, the TTT would not be found in passenger service, with the rare exception borne of desperation.

So my answer was "b".

I mix it up.....sort of. My Berkshires are high speed freight. The Mallets, and other compounds, get the coal drags. Miks, Consolidateds, Mountains, Pacifics, ect, get standard freight(non-express). There are engines in the mixes that get passenger service, such as the J's, almost exclusively.

If a railway ran a certain type of engine on a certain type of consist, I TRY to do the same. Modeling from the 1920's to the mid-'60's, gives me a lot of leeway on head end power. And having a number of compounds,2-8-8-2's, 2-6-6-2's, 4-4-4-4's and such, I can get VERY creative with which horse I mount to the lead.

As far as when we change the layout to modern/diesel power, Dash 9's, AC4400's, SD40's, GP38, 35,40's and such rule my roads. I have a few SD9 high noses that make it out of the yard on occasion.

Most of the earlier passenger trains are tugged by multiple F units(AB,AA,ABB....) , E's or Alco PA/PB's. Even some freight consists are led by the old covered wagons. It really just depends on my mood and what I want to see.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I try and follow prototypical practice where possible. Mixing AC abd DC units, what's that, different grades of coal, or bunker oil? :D

I try and follow prototypical practice where possible. Mixing AC abd DC units, what's that, different grades of coal, or bunker oil? :D

AC/DC is some rock and roll band from "down under" isn't it?

In reference to steam engines, the terms mean "Awfully Cool" or "Darn Cool"

Bob

I like playing baseball.

I can't say much as well I don't have a layout to run on (I really should get on that).

But I creating a fictional layout, so I am going to go with A, meaning whatever is ready to go. Also the layout I plan to do, will focus more on local switching and the likes. I think I will be lucky if a train gets 2 engines!

I like baseball too! Go Indians!

As far as power goes, I don't have all that much to begin with so I use whatever's handy. I do like having the last unit facing rear though. Just looks better somehow.

I TRY to keep my consists based on the RR I'm representing with that specific train. (ie. USUALLY me WC SD-45's run together, and my BNSF SD40-2's stick close, etc. Although run-through power does happen from time to time.)

as far as AC/DC goes, I really only have 1 AC unit, a SD90-43MAC. Since it's a dummy I usually stick it dead in tow with my massive SP-UP-CNW merger era train (with 10 units up front the train SHOULD last the 2 weeks out on the high iron between Houston and points west)

I follow N&W Ft. Wayne Division practice circa 1973-76.

Any time, any train, any power, any lead, any combination, any orientation.

Exceptions: F units can't lead "long hood forward" :) Some non-mu equipped FM units cannot be used in consist.

That's one reason why I am adamant about motor/gear compatibility to the extent possible.

Example consist from reality: U30B long hood forward; RS11, GP9, U30C, GP35, GP7. Another example: SD45 (bicentennial), U30B, SD9 U30C. And so on.

Matched sets - almost never. N&W tended to run matched sets of locos only when that particular class of loco was new. Real new. I have a shot of 3 U30Bs leading an eastbound - it's the only one like it I have. I have no matched set photos of anything else larger than 2 units, and usually switch runs got 2 units - often an EMD/Alco pair. Most other trains had 3 or more, and never a matched set.

Andy

BASEBALL RULES, GO DODGERS, okay I had to say that.
Since I am modeling a ficticous Fallen flag, as if it had been succesfull and conitnued on into the mordern era, ie SP. My goal is to follow basic SP methods of running power.
My Espee will have a basic philosophy of how to match up power, but basicly that will just be a guid line.
For example I will try to keep newest and most reliable power such as new EMD SD60M's (ex UP) SD70Ms SD70M-2s GE Dash 9's, with priority trains, such as perishable, intermodle and other important trains, and then give less important trains like manifest, and extra trains older power such as SD40T-2's SD45's SD45T-2's
And then I'll assign AC power to heavy drag freights like Coal, Grain, and Lumber, shuggar beats etc.
But all this will be relative, as far as whats online, and whats ready to go when a paticular train is ready to leave the yard.
Also I am modeling SP in the rugged mountains of the Syskue line and Cascade line in oregon, with heavy lumber frieghts. So you'll see just about anything that is running and is ready to go pulling my trains over the mountains of Oregon.

Back