How do you convert old horn-hook couplers with knuckle couplers?

How do you convert old horn-hook couplers with knuckle couplers in HO scale trains? What type of knuckle coupler will allow this Bachmann HO scale 4-4-0 to connect with other knuckle coupler trains?

4-4-0.jpg

I’m not familiar with that particular engine but Kadee (the coupler people) has a chart on their website with popular fitments.

Nearly every conversion I’ve done I swap in a Kadee #5 (or ‘scale’ knuckle equivalent) and it fits right in. There is also a coupler with integral spring that is even easier but can’t remember right off what number it is.

If possible, I would go with Kadee brand. They invented model knuckle couplers and do it the best.

beware of the imposter knuckle couplers on the market.
McHenry couplers look nice, but I would only use those on a rail item that I would only have on display. I actually refer to them as McHenry non-couplers. Might be OK for a short little train for the kiddies to play with, but anything more than a few cars and they'll flex and come uncoupled. Ya save a couple bucks on em though.

beware of the imposter knuckle couplers on the market.
McHenry couplers look nice, but I would only use those on a rail item that I would only have on display. I actually refer to them as McHenry non-couplers. Might be OK for a short little train for the kiddies to play with, but anything more than a few cars and they'll flex and come uncoupled. Ya save a couple bucks on em though.
Truth!

How do you convert old horn-hook couplers with knuckle couplers in HO scale trains? What type of knuckle coupler will allow this Bachmann HO scale 4-4-0 to connect with other knuckle coupler trains?

View attachment 180042
Sometimes they swap out very easily and sometimes not. I would go with the above suggestions but sometimes you may have to replace the coupler box as well, which may involve removing the bottom of the existing setup.

Kadee also makes replacement coupler boxes and little washers which may aid in getting the height correct. This may not apply to Bachmann but I have swapped out many vintage rail cars and run into all sorts of stuff.

Dave LASM

View attachment 180042
Kadee conversion chart says #5 or #148 if it is an older model (which this looks to be based on the box and that it is horn hook rather than Mc Henry), or #33 if it is a newer model.

Back