Help me pick my first HO locomotive.

I'd recomend an Atlas starter set, if that's what you mean.
As Les sez, plans are good.

Get an Atlas Trainman set. GP38-2 is a good one. DCC ready locomotive, runs great, 4 freight cars, 4'x3' oval of track, powerpack. You can be up and running in less than 20 minutes. Can find them for $125.

If budget is no issue. Why not get an Atlas Gold series with DCC & Sound. I have 4 of those. They run beautifully and sound great.

I have the Dash 8-40CWs. They all have dual speakers.

i was looking at those. they're good, huh?

Yes indeed they are.

IMG_0710.JPG

no budget, whatever's best.
plans?

I am not up to speed on your interests...are you? The hobby has many 'flavours', and it is almost always a good thing to spend some time up front trying to narrow down your approach to the hobby. For example:

What era? Pre-WW I, Depression, War, Post War, Modern? The hardware varies with each era. So would the look. Many railroads that existed 60 years ago no longer exist. We call them Fallen Flags. New York Central, Missouri Pacific, Pennsylvania Railroad, Norfolk & Western, Santa Fe, Great Northern...you get the idea.

If this really is, and ought to be, simple, and you just want something with a motor that looks pretty, then for diesel, among the best looking are the Genesis brand. The best drives are from Kato, and they also look pretty good. Atlas has a sterling reputation. I love my Fairbanks Morse Trainmaster H24-66 with QSI decoder in it.

For steam, it is hard to beat Broadway Limited Imports. The best detailed engines I have, though, and they are completely reliable, are the Rivarossi Allegheny 2-6-6-6 and my little Proto 2000 Heritage Series switcher, the 0-6-0.

For value, still with steam, it is sometimes hard to beat the Spectrum series from Bachmann. Their wonderful 2-8-0 Consolidations are gems. I hear their Heavy Mountain with its all metal construction is also a gem, but they are rare.

Selector hit it on the head, as usual. I personally am not a fan of Broadway Limited. I have 2 of the 2-6-6-6 and one of the heritage 0-6-0. I also like the heritage Berkshire. I like Proto 2000 for diesel, I don't know if they come DCC equipped as all of mine are older.

wow, i love Santa Fe trains. What does it mean when it says "powered".

It means that you don't have to push it... :)

It might help to watch YouTubes of different engines, just to find out whether you like steamers or diesels. Myself, I like steamers because of the moving driving rod assemblies on the wheels.

Greg

If sound is not a big thing to you. I would recommend Kato locomotives. Which I will admit. I dont have any Kato loco's myself just yet. But being a BNSF and CNW modeler, I will.

Back