Greetings from PDX!

BrianRP1

After digging out my (emphasis on) OLD HO trains and track, at the request of my wife (for the benefit of grand-nephews), it looks like I'm getting back into the hobby - at least that's what the credit card statement says šŸ¤£
Everything I had was pre-1980, so the first order of business is coupler conversions. Also, I'm leaning towards a 5'x10' or 12' layout - 22" min. radius - any layout plans or suggestions for that size are welcome!

Welcome to the Forum Brian. As Ken says, a second credit card would be the first order of business. :)

Seriously welcome back to the Hobby, There are a number of software programs like Anyrail or Scarm which are available to use which will help with your planning, Also this might be worth a look through for ideas, it's a free download.

Last edited:
Welcome on board. BrianRP1. A good crew here.

Building a layout with Grand Nephews in mind? All well and good.
Make sure can all join in when together.
Don't over-complicate trackwork.
Make sure the layout can be operated by one person. Most of the time you will be the only one there.
We always say 'Have Fun'. Keep the Fun element there. It is a hobby. Treat it as such and it will reward handsomely.

BrianRP1, We welcome you. I'll scratch around for a 5x9 foot layout that I wanted to construct - if I can find it again?
It has the ability to be expanded in either direction too!

Here's some photos of my 5 x 10 HO layout. Hope that may give you some ideas.
DSC00335.JPG

DSC00336.JPG

If you were ever (I never was) into drugs, alcohol or wild, wild women, you won't be able to afford them now that you are a model railroader! (Somebody stop me before I kitbash another Mantua steam locomotive!)

Everything I had was pre-1980, so the first order of business is coupler conversions. Also, I'm leaning towards a 5'x10' or 12' layout - 22" min. radius - any layout plans or suggestions for that size are welcome!
One could fit a sizable layout in either of those spaces. Normally I am not the one that makes this suggestion, but in a room that could hold that size of a layout a better plan might be a 2 foot wide around the room plan.

Regardless, What sort of a plan are you thinking you would like. Set up and watch trains run, making and break up trains in a yard, switching cars from a train into industries and side tracks, or what ???

I've always been partial to these two ..
https://shop.atlasrr.com/p-44217-ho-20-the-out-and-back.aspx
https://shop.atlasrr.com/p-44247-ho-35-berkshire-valley-route.aspx
With 5 feet in width one could expand to 22" curves and maybe add more yard tracks or more industries.

Grand Nephews might like an alternate route type layout. Those are harder to design, but having a train disappear into a tunnel and pop out somewhere not necessarily obvious is great fun for kids.

Back