gday from australia

James S

G'day fellas. My names James and i'm from sunny Brisbane, Downunder.

I'm a member over at MR but can't post (computer problems) so i've come here :)

I've been lurking for a while...

Anyway, I have an N scale Garage layout, roughly 32ft of mainline run. I have a grain elevator and plastic pellet elevator and also a warehouse for some industries for switching, my main prototype is UP and BNSF from about 1998-2008. That way I can run, SP,UP,C&NW,BN,ATSF and BNSF locomotives and rollingstock. The odd NS or CSX SD70M or AC4400 will appear on my layout too.

At this stage my layout is almost completed track laying wise, I just need to add my buildings and scenery now... and of course buy more trains. :D

what kind of HO stuff do they sell down under? i've always like how different the australian loco's look compared to the us counterparts.

NYSW F45, we have quite a few RTR mfg. In Oz. Mainly catering to the NSW, and standard gauge prototypes, but also Victorian.

www.trainorama.com.au www.auscision.com.au www.austrains.com.au are some of the main players.

I also have a few HOn3.5 models of Queensland equipment, but most of this is in kit form but there is a couple of guys who will build them for you.

www.wuiskepromotions.com.au www.blackdiamondmodels.com.au

However a majority of modellers are in US prototypes or British.

If you like I have a few photos of the real QLD stuff, which I can share. :)

Howdy, howdy, howdy, James! Good to see you on the sunny side of the street. I've gotten so I do most of my posting over here to avoid the nonsence that goes on over there from time to time.

You will find this to be a very friendly and helpful crew over here. I look forward to those photos and don't forget to pop in to the Coffeehouse from time to time.

James, good to hear from you....at last. :p One of our members here, Jim, has under his signature, "fleeing from Al". You are fleeing from server glitches. What a headache. I am still not getting any email notifications of private messages. No word from Bergie yet what the heck is the problem.

You will find this a quiet neigbhourhood where folks still hang their wash on the line and chat over the fence. No thump-thump cars at midnight over here. :D

-Crandell

LOL, Crandell. Welcome aboard, James. We've got a few other Aussies on the board and it's always nice to see another one. You will find this to be a little less busy than "across the street" but that's partially because we don't have page after page of insults instead of model railroad talk. :) I'm sure we are all interested to see any pictures you have of Australian trains, plus your own models, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ya OzJim
Good to see you again and on this side of the tracks. I do lurk here and in the Diner on the other side but don't post much. Looks like you have gotten quite a bit done since you switched back to the American type of railroading.
That's about it
Talk to you later
Duke

I see you not only live in the best country in the world but you live in the river city. Welcome and I'm on the north side.

Gabby

hey thanks for those links. only 1 worked, the austrains. I trying to google stuff but coming up empty. I do like those cememt hoppers that i saw. Is alot of this in brass? i'll have to do teh conversion from australian to us dollars. im sure its going to suck for me with such a crappy dollar.

Hey James, going thru railpictures.net i was able to find what i was looking for. Does anyone down under make the big 6 axles for pacific/qr national and national rail or even the iron ore companies?

Hey James, going thru railpictures.net i was able to find what i was looking for. Does anyone down under make the big 6 axles for pacific/qr national and national rail or even the iron ore companies?

Hey mate, The six axle Pacific National/National Rail locomotives, known as the NR class are available from Austrains, but they sell out very quickly! Ebay is your best bet, or get into contact with some aussie LHS. The QRnational ones are being made by someone, but aren't available yet. The 5000class is basically a C44-9W with a slightly different body...much lower.

The Iron ore SD70ACe and AC6000, C44-9W (now Gevo's) aren't available, except the BHP AC6000 which was made by BLI. The details aren't identical, so if you wanted an exact model you would have to add details.

The others you could simply buy an undec. unit and paint it into the colours. The Bachmann ore cars are a good match for the ore cars used there.

It is strange that the links don't work, so try these couple of hobby stores for stock. www.casulahobbies.com.au and www.trainworld.com.au

hope this helps :D

also, not much of this is in brass. Most is made in china, probably in the same factory as Atlas, Bachmann, Life Like etc. :D

G'day, James, and Welcome! I remember you from a few years back, I once was a regular in the coffee shop across the street - until the Great Lockdown of October 2005 which drove alot of MR forum people over here [myself included]. Then this became my 'home' forum, even though I do spend time over there as well (mostly lurking).

Nowadays I don't post as much as I once did, I found that I wasn't getting any modeling/layout stuff done because I spent too much time online!

Back