Gaudy Paint Schemes..

Ok wait... Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse...

image.jpeg

What does one think of when they or someone else sates thats a Gaudy paint scheme?

BCK RR

View attachment 56421

That's not really a paint scheme. I mean it is, but it's a re-paint of a UP paint scheme. They added just enough to make it not be a UP loco any more. I don't think that was "designed" so much as sorta happened?

I don't know if it is gaudy but how about a technical eye sore...
images

Seen in person, they don't look bad. It's a nice color scheme, with some GN heritage in there.

IMG_1197.jpg

I was always a fan of the Executive Units, aka Grinsteen (sp?) Green shown on the third loco. But the cream color wasn't well suited to the dirt and grime of railroading.

I don't know if it's gaudy but I can't bear to look at this scheme!
View attachment 56458

Yeah, that one didn't fly well. It was a decent concept. Combine the "Cascade Green" and the "Warbonnet" paint schemes in a way that honored both. But, while it may have looked good on paper, it didn't look so good on steel.

Well you're right Bob, it turns out it was photo shopped!
Still, wouldn't put it past them to try that when they were experimenting with the merger.
Okay I'm going back to my original submission then...

Seen in person, they don't look bad. It's a nice color scheme, with some GN heritage in there.
I've seen thousands in person having worked only 1/2 mile from the 23rd street loco shop and having walked down ever day a lunch for about 10 years. It was sad seeing the blue, silver and red, and green locos slowly give way to a sea of pumpkins. But I didn't say they looked bad, I said they are a technical eye sore. Recall Art 101 - An eye sore is a combination of colors that will make the human eye tired (or sore) when looked at for a long time.

The idea was supposed to be a GN heritage scheme, it just didn't come off well. Wrong orange, wrong green, yellow not gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day...That looks okay to me...I quite like the diagonal red and white stripes..Is it an old UP..That mustard yellow looks very much like that to me..Cheers Rod..

G'day...That looks okay to me...I quite like the diagonal red and white stripes..Is it an old UP..That mustard yellow looks very much like that to me..Cheers Rod..
Rod,
How did you Guess .yes it's an EX u.p. RR SD40 Series Locomotive. Why lower case on union pacific , it is one of my least favorite rail lines.

BCK RR

Back