First Try at Programming CV Changes in my Digitrax.

Brakeman Hal

My Digitrax DCC Controller works great, but the sound of the Diesel Horn, Bell, Cab Chatter, Brake Squeal and Coupler Clashes are all too loud!

The CV for Master Volume is 58, and the range of volume is 00 to 15, with the default value of 09.

When I get into the loudness value, I want to drop it considerably, because even with the loco at 26 feet from my operating position, its way too loud!

Hal

Hal, first thing I do is the address change to the cab number. Second thing is to reduce MV in whichever CV it is for the decoder by half its stated range. Often I go down from there, but half is my first entry for a figure. Then, from whenever it seems to play nicely with the other locomotives, I start dealing with individual sounds. I can't stand the incessant pop-off, injector, and other neutral sounds; they compete with other sounds too much. So, with the MV cut by half, maybe down to 6/15, I reduce other 'noises' until I can just hear them and know what they are. For example, and even though it's a steamer...after all..., I'll knock down the chuff sounds, usually the turbo-generator sounds a bit, bell and whistle by quite a bit.

Customizing sounds takes but a few minutes after getting the MV down to a scream where it doesn't overdrive the small speaker. I do this to every locomotive, and it makes operating a DCC/sound layout so much more enjoyable.

SELECTOR:

What is MV? Muzzle Velocity?:D

I tried the instructions carefully, but a scrolling message across the bottom of the Digitrax screen says that I cannot make any CV value changes, because the MTH decoder in the loco is not compatible with the Digitrax DCC codes, even though a switch under the tender sets it up for DCS or DCC.

Therefore, I'm stuck with a loud Whistle, a loud Bell, and Really Loud Cab comments between cab crew and yard master. The Chuffs are fine, both drifting and laboring.

What I really need is a loco with a straight DCC decoder, NOT one from MTH, but it has to be one with no more than 6 drivers for my curves of 42" 45", and 50" radius, and it must be a Western road, like SF, UP, SP, WP, or GN. As stated earlier, my layout is O-Scale 2-Rail, not 3-Rail Lionel.

I don't have a Programming Track either. My one locomotive runs on my 127 ft folded dogbone, with no sidings or switches.

Thanks for listening...
Hal Pollner, age 83

Last edited:
"I don't have a Programming Track either. My one locomotive runs on my 127 ft folded dogbone, with no sidings or switches"

With only a single locomotive on the track at any time, you can just use your existing track as "the programming track".

I agree with the post by J. Albert, although there are some caveats. It is often best to do address change programming via paged mode. At least, it used to be that way...perhaps decoders have changed recently and they can be programmed more easily in operations mode, or 'programming on the main'.

Also, you can programme single locomotives while others are 'listening' to the DCC signal on electrified tracks at the same time. BUT....BUT...you must be doubly sure that you are NOT in paged mode, or broadcast mode. Otherwise, all decoders will incur the same changes to all the CVs you alter. Instead, you make doubly sure you are in Ops Mode, or 'programming on the main'. And, you make sure that the decoder you wish to alter is active on the throttle. Whichever decoder is currently active, that's the one that will accept the CV changes you enter.

It is true, though, as J. Albert says, that if only one locomotive is on the system at any one time, then you can use whichever programming mode you wish, and alter any CVs you wish, without fearing that you are making a mistake and are going to have to go back and fix all the changes in ALL the decoders if you use Paged Mode. In that sense, the entire track system can act as a 'programming track'.

One last tip for layout design: depending on the era, you can isolate a small length of track on the layout and make it a programming track. If you consider that at some point you're going to have to place the new item, if that's what it is, on the layout, why not place it onto close-by rails that also double as progamming tracks? In my case, I have my turntable and roundhouse close to the front of the yard module, so it's well within reach. The lead from the last turnout affording access to the turntable is gapped at the end of that route at the turnout, but also is naturally gapped at the lip of the turntable pit. I wire that segment of rail to an SPDT which I can flip and the rest of the layout goes dead...only that small lead has power and signal. Now, with the new locomotive set on that length of lead, I do all the programming I need, including address change, master volume reduction, and adding momentum and inertia effects, as examples. Once I am done, I flip the toggle back to energize the rest of the layout, and I can run the new loco either into the roundhouse or back to the turnout and onto the rest of the track system.

Back