Firetacoma's Build Thread

Thought I'd put everything all together in one place as I build this layout, so here it goes.

Building the table:
001-1.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Foam cut to size:
012.jpg

Track, Turnouts and cork bought:
013.jpg

Laying out the track on the 1:1 printout:
015.jpg

018.jpg

Printout removed time to mark the centerlines:
021.jpg

That's the progress so far! Stay tuned.

Boy, I wish I did as neat a job as you're doing. My layout under construction looked like a scrapyard blew up. :) If I can make one suggestion, it would be to center those tracks so you have a little more clearance from the layout edge on the right side. I didn't do that so I have one long straight section that's only about an inch for the layout edge. It made putting up a backdrop a real pain and limited the amount of forced perspective scenery I could do there.

Thanks for the suggestion. There will be a mountain that hides the rear and those 2 tracks will be used as staging. It will all be up against a window so I can't really put up a backdrop.

I have such a limited space in the house we currently live in. But what you have done is a great idea!! Keep posting pictures please. I'm headed to Lowes next week and start on something like you have built.

Is this N or HO? Looks like N with so much fitting on that table. Oh and is that a door you used?

Also what program did you use for the 1:1 printout?

Thanks wheeler, I live in a condo so I am familiar with limited space. That pretty much dictated this size layout. It has to be small and I have to be able to move it should the need arise.

NYSW, it is N scale and is in fact a door. 28"x80" The 1:1 printout is from Xtrackcad.

Thanks wheeler, I live in a condo so I am familiar with limited space. That pretty much dictated this size layout. It has to be small and I have to be able to move it should the need arise.

NYSW, it is N scale and is in fact a door. 28"x80" The 1:1 printout is from Xtrackcad.

I was just going thru that Xtrackcad and looks alot more simple then the atlas program. Looks like i'll be busy tonight.

Where'd you get those legs, and more importantly, do they have narrower ones? I'm interested in building a small 1'x3' table with a felt surface, to bring to train meets, for displaying stuff, and folding legs like that would be sweet.

The legs are from Home Depot and no, these are the only ones they carry. They may swear up and down that they don't carry folding table legs, but keep on them and eventually you may just find someone who isn't an idiot. They told me they didn't carry such a thing. I said, "your website says not only that you carry them but that this store has them in stock." 20 minutes later we finally found them. I wonder how many other times they've told me they don't carry something they were just too lazy or too stupid to know what they carry.

Nice.

I like to paint the blue ASAP. The sooner it looks like anything (say dirt) than blue foam.

Unless you are building a Blue Foam Central.

I'm still a little ways out from that. I just marked my center lines (pain in the butt) and need to get my brides planned before I can carve out my creek. Then I can glue the foam to the board, get the track bed laid, and get the track laid for good. Then I will paint. I would paint before-hand but I'm worried about adhesion onto the latex paint.

Very nice indead, i like n scale for the reason you can fit loads of it into a small space but my eyes are in OO or HO scale which is why i don't do N scale, looking forward to the progress.

Good choice going with Peco switches. I am using Walthers code 83 (Shinohara) on my HO layout and they look great as compared to some others that are out there.

Back