Firetacoma's Build Thread

Thanks for the props on the website... it's not that spectacular but for taking only an hour I think it accomplishes what I need it to! I love google. They make everything so easy! haha

1 bridge is done, 1 to go!
This is the first time I've built something like this so I'm kind of excited!
035.jpg

036.jpg

Looks like things are coming along nicely. I don't think you have to worry about the foam sticking - I'd worry more about the table collapsing from all that weight. :)

Nice work Firetacoma

What weight U talking about Jim?

If that bridge U talking about, it might only weigh a few grams. But I guess yours was just leg pulling :)

What would you say about this then :p that it would collapse the whole layout :p ?

woodenTrestle2.jpg

I'm planning of building about 4 or 5 similar to thisfor my layout, this was my first trial :).

At the moment I'm building the high dual arch curved stone bridge, pictures will come soon ( obviously I will open my own thread ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the table can handle it. It didn't go boom in the night!

Headed to the hobby store this afternoon and I'll see how things turned out after that!

Maxi, you have to check Fire's web site and see how he has the foam on the table weighted down. That what I was referring to, not his trestle. :)

Not sure if anyone is following this build or not, but there have been some updates I posted on the website: http://achurnside.googlepages.com/home

Let me know if you'd rather I post pictures here as I get things completed or if the website works for you. Eventually (probably already) it's going to be pretty painful for those with dial-up!

That trestle look good and the trackwork really looks professional. I can tell you've really put some time into the foundation of your layout. It's a part that too often gets skipped and guys pay for it later when everything derails.

Thanks! I've been trying to take my time and do things right. There are some rail joints that have gaps that are larger than I'd like, but overall I'm really happy with how it's turning out. One thing that helps is that I have no locomotives or power system yet due to budgeting constraints. So it's not like I'm rushing to get things running. I'm going to try to start in on wiring tomorrow.

Fire, it's good you don't have any trains you are itching to get running. You'd be surprised how a big fault in the benchwork and/or trackwork shrinks in direct proportion to the number of trains ready to run. Don't ask me why I know this. :)

Started wiring. Feeding small wires through a hollow-core door is a PAIN!

Pretty soon I get to re-affirm my poor soldering skills.

Use a fish wire to make it easier. Get some stiff wire like 20 gauge. Use a small bit of electricians tape to attach the smaller wires and then push the stiff wire down through the hole wth the fish wire. I would have gone psychotic putting in all my layout wiring without this technique.:)

I tried to use my drill bit but the hole is JUST the right size for the wire. Even a small amount of scotch tape just got stuck. I think I've finally figured it out. Drill, ream with bit a LOT, straighten wire as much as possible, stick it in the hole (hehe) and then HOPE it comes out the back. The first one took 20 minutes, the last one I did took 2. If I were doing a larger layout it might be an enough to drive me nuts, but I can do even the most tedious acts for a little while.

Loo0ks good from start to now. Fishing wires is just like the real thing . Takes plenty of patience !!!

Just an update, started soldering feeders to the track! About halfway done. Not as scary as I thought it was going to be. 40W iron, super small solder. No pics yet, but I'll get some and update my website in the next few days.

Also, I've ordered my DCC system. I decided (after MUCH thought) to go with the MRC Prodigy Express. I found it online for $108 which I must say was a definite influence. I think for my small layout with just me operating it will do what I need it to. Hopefully it will be here by the weekend. Then I'll just need a loco and I can go loco running trains!!

Well I got the feeders all wired. I think I may have painted myself into a corner though... I am trying to replace the ties I took out to join pieces of flextrack and have a problem. I've already glued my track down and I can't get the old ties thin enough to slip under the rails... especially under the rail joiners. I am thinking my best option now would be pc board ties. Are they thin enough I can easily slide them under, especially under the joiners? It seems like once painted and ballasted they would disappear visuallly...

Back