Finally, Santafewillies layout thread

Willie, what is the "Western Auto Associate Store"?
Could that be a a classic black Buick regal parked out front?
You all are getting ahead here!;)
Louis - Western Auto Associates Store was the name used by many Western Auto Franchise owners, seen here and there around Texas. Most dropped the last half of the name eventually. Yes! They were famous for the Western Flyer line of bicycles.
Chris - Yes that is a Buick Regal there. I do think that it is a mostly generic model that doesn't model a specific year.

Our next stop in Maultown, moving north on Main Street is a block of businesses.
IMG_6704.001.JPG

I'll start with Walther's Merchants Row II, a cluster of three businesses.
IMG_7067.JPG
Anchoring the corner is Good Earth Natural Foods.
03-01-19 001.JPG
03-01-19 002.JPG
Next to it is the Western Auto Associate Store, commonly known as just Western Auto.
12-20-19 003.JPG
Once again one of those pesky mini cobwebs appears in the photo that's not visible to the naked eye!
The third business in this structure is Velocity Fitness, basically a gym.
01-17-20 002.JPG

On the other side of the access alley is the Salvation Army Thrift Center. This is a DPM structure otherwise known as B. Moore Catalog/Showroom.
10-11-20 023.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG
Next is Marvin's Hi-Ball, the local pool hall frequented by both bikers and non-bikers. There's a crowd waiting for the doors to open.
IMG_6614.JPG

This too is another DPM structure kit called Goodfellows Hall.
The last structure before leaving the downtown area is Vic's Barber Shop, a Walther's structure of the same name.
10-11-20 022.JPG
This is slightly modified as I made the front flat instead of using the recessed entryway.
In the next installment, we'll start out the highway out of town. No preview today since I have hit the ten attachment limit.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Last edited:
I'm back at it after a much too long break. We left off at the end of the downtown business district of Maultown. We're headed north on Highway 69 past a few businesses on the way to the Maultown Industrial Park. First though, we pass a derelict barn originally owned by the farmer who owned the narrow strip of land between the highway and the railroad. This is one of the very few scratchbuilt structures that I have attempted.
02-19-20 005.JPG
07-26-20 005.JPG
11-06-19 009.JPG

Moving next door, we return to civilization with a small restaurant called the Dew Duck 'N Cafe. It is one half of an older DPM Gold Series kit known as Popa Wheelies Saloon.
IMG_0835.JPG
Joanne's interest is suddenly captivated by Chuck and his restored sports car.
IMG_1628.JPG

Another eating establishment is next to it, a Dairy Queen which hasn't been converted to the modernized drive through yet. It's still popular with families. This is a Walther's kit.
09-30-19 013.JPG
IMG_6660.JPG

Oakleaf Shipping and Storage is next. It is a laser-cut wood kit from Bar Mills.
IMG_6647.JPG
IMG_7108.JPG
IMG_6668.JPG

That's the ten pictures per post limit for now. More to come soon.
Thank you for looking and feel free to comment if you desire.

Very nice Willie!
I’ve lost track of all this, the two girls waving at each other is a nice well thought out touch!

It's been far too long since the last segment, so I will try to get multiple posts this weekend. I left off at the Oak Leaf Shipping & Storage building. As part of the overall scene, there are three low-relief structures against the backdrop on the other side of the tracks. Two of the structures are rail served, a casket manufacturer on the left and Mikey's Mattress Manufacturing on the right.
IMG_7314.JPG

The mattress plant is named after a fellow Coffee Shop patron who suggested that it looked like a mattress factory.
As a small scene block on the North side of the Oakleaf building, is a Woodland Scenics offering of a billboard. I don't remember the name of the kit.
IMG_6657.JPG

The backside.
IMG_6666.JPG

Then we come upon a Woodland Scenics kit known as Fresh Market. This is an out of the box kit that I only added figures to; all details came with the kit. I just painted them as well as the building itself.
IMG_6648.JPG

The sidewalk is Evergreen sidewalk sheets.
IMG_6649.JPG
IMG_6651.JPG

Next door to the market is a gas station that is a City Classics kit.
IMG_7489.JPG

IMG_7490.JPG

The interior details came from an unfinished (unpainted) kit from JL Innovative Designs. I only used half of the details; the rest will be used in another station.
IMG_7486.JPG

That's it for this edition, stay tuned.

Last edited:
Our next stop in Maultown, moving north on Main Street is a block of businesses.
View attachment 179852
I'll start with Walther's Merchants Row II, a cluster of three businesses.
View attachment 179861Anchoring the corner is Good Earth Natural Foods.
View attachment 179853View attachment 179854 Next to it is the Western Auto Associate Store, commonly known as just Western Auto.
View attachment 179855Once again one of those pesky mini cobwebs appears in the photo that's not visible to the naked eye!
The third business in this structure is Velocity Fitness, basically a gym.
View attachment 179856
On the other side of the access alley is the Salvation Army Thrift Center. This is a DPM structure otherwise known as B. Moore Catalog/Showroom.
View attachment 179857
View attachment 179858Next is Marvin's Hi-Ball, the local pool hall frequented by both bikers and non-bikers. There's a crowd waiting for the doors to open.
View attachment 179859
This too is another DPM structure kit called Goodfellows Hall.
The last structure before leaving the downtown area is Vic's Barber Shop, a Walther's structure of the same name.
View attachment 179862This is slightly modified as I made the front flat instead of using the recessed entryway.
In the next installment, we'll start out the highway out of town. No preview today since I have hit the ten attachment limit.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
Always love the way you make use of the figures, considering how to use their body stances

All right, let's move to the last two structures in Budville. First is the switch tower next to Midtown Consolidators, that controls the junction between ATSF and the interchange trackage with SLSF.
This may be my oldest structure on the layout, nearly 40 years old. It is the familar to many Atlas Switch Tower. The only improvement that I made was to add clear styrene to the windows about 15 years ago.
View attachment 172679View attachment 172680
Here we have a Santa Fe freight approaching. View attachment 172681
Due to my era, I have no passenger trains or equipment at all.
On the backside is a small farm. The structure itself is a Branchline laser-cut wood structure known as "The Drayton House".
View attachment 172682View attachment 172683View attachment 172684
The outbuilding is a scratchbuilt structure, made from leftover wall sections from many of the Bar Mills structures that I have.
View attachment 172685
Behind the shed is an old-time family cemetery plot.
View attachment 172686
Note the garden on the other side of the house.
View attachment 172687
It's a bit crude looking in the picture, but from the 3' distance on the layout, it looks great. Looks like I need to vacuum the cobwebs soon!

For the next installment, I am going to move to the upper level and feature Jamestown, the first thing that anyone sees when entering the layout room. Here's a teaser.
View attachment 172689
If the mood takes you and you have someone who drinks tea dry the tea leaves scatter around and a little on the hoe garden to embed it, loving the thread :)

Begs to disagree, KARL. The railroad begins with the roadbed, then the ties, then the rail ... Now you have a railroad otherwise the trains will not run.
Beg to disagree once the idea has popped into your head and you have started playing with the idea you have a railway, and for sone who have had a railway, but circumstances have stolen it from them, photos or memories allow that railway to exist, and for sone who do do overs as only room for one, they have several ideas in my opinion they all count, getting the track down powered and trains moving IS the icing on the 🎂 cake 🍰 🧁 but there is no one way, for some their running railway is a computer programme not my personal taste BUT it brings immense joy to. many.
Here we have icing ….

Back