Engine won't move, poor DCS signal

CSXMATT

Still trying to figure this one out. My layout is s 5x8 double loop . I am using all MTH brand components, DCS commander, mth 12 pin spiltter, mth realtrax with 3 power terminals. Now before tonight, my train would run on either track no problem. I just hooked up my 3 buildings & 1 yard light, now my engine signal flashes indicating poor signal. Am I running too much on track power? Do I need to run dedicated power to the buildings? Do I have s ground issue? Any info/ insight would be appreciated. Here is my layout yo give you an idea.
6cf3bfb6ec0fdb283deac6fe9e82fb71.jpg
51b31cd7961a3c9d501b6893fc4d8964.jpg

You may have too much amperage being drawn down the line by all those lights, and perhaps the voltage is not quite up to snuff in any one locale as a result. If you could check voltage accurately, it would help. Perhaps one more pair of feeders, well connected, would help.

I am using all MTH brand DCS commander. Now before tonight, my train would run on either track no problem. I just hooked up my 3 buildings & 1 yard light, now my engine signal flashes indicating poor signal. Am I running too much on track power? Do I need to run dedicated power to the buildings? Do I have s ground issue? Any info/ insight would be appreciated.
I do not use DCS nor have any experience with it, but if I am reading their manual correctly there is no power output specifically for accessories. So my guess is you have plenty of power, but the signal is being diluted or corrupted with the lights. I think you need what they call an Accessory Interface Unit (AIU) to put between the commander and the accessory. You might want to call MTH and ask them to be certain. However, if it were me, I think would just find an alternate power supply for the lights. That would probably be both easier and cheaper. Command system power is expensive (whether it is DCS, DCC or other), why waste it on something that simple AC will work for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooked up separate power supply, everything seems to be working fine. The lights on the buildings seem a tad dim though.

Hooked up separate power supply, everything seems to be working fine. The lights on the buildings seem a tad dim though.

Either you are drawing too much power with the loghts, or the power supply doesn't put out enough voltage to make the lights as bright as they should be.

How many volts do you have the transformer set to put out? If it is a variable voltage unit, like the ones that run trains in DC mode you can up the voltage by moving a lever or dial. Don't put out too much voltage or you will burn up your lights. You can check the output with a multi meter.

Light bulbs don't care what powers them. They are a simple resistance type electrical device.

Then I would suggest putting them on the DC side of the transformer and adjusting the voltage, being careful not to go to high and damage the lights. I power some lights on my 4x8 layout with an old track transformer set to the correct voltage. It works great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back