Engine Repairs?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Straight to the point - does anyone know of anyone who does N Scale Engine Repairs/Servicing?

I would prefer someone in the state of New York OR someone from these forums; however right now, I'd be happy with someone who did top quality work, that perhaps someone here had experience with, was reasonably priced AND (most importantly) reliable.

If we have an N Scale Engineer/Mechanic/Repairer in our midst who knew what they were doing with both Steam and Diesel - mainly Steam at the moment - then obviously I would happily pay them to get my engines back up and running.

If anyone can help, feel free to PM me if you would prefer, other wise I look forward to your recommendations.

PS: Please no comments such as - you need to learn how to do this yourself or there are plenty of you tube vids etc etc etc. If I had any interest in doing repairs etc myself, I would have learnt it a long time ago ;)

Tony, what are you looking for? Basic repairs? Coupler installs? Decoder installs? Damage repair?

Basic stuff like what you described I can do and do myself (except on Steam Engines) so no - I have a few engines that I simply don't know what is wrong with them - they just don't run. I don't know if they just need a "service" or if something has failed.

One of them is a Kato Mikado and I was going to send that back Kato, but after reading all of their "requirements" and not being able to tell them the problem, I don't think they'll fix it anyway. Kato USA is very picky about what they do and what they don't do from the looks of it. Essentially - they seem to only want to do what you (the customer) asks them to do.

Basic stuff like what you described I can do and do myself (except on Steam Engines) so no - I have a few engines that I simply don't know what is wrong with them - they just don't run. I don't know if they just need a "service" or if something has failed.

One of them is a Kato Mikado and I was going to send that back Kato, but after reading all of their "requirements" and not being able to tell them the problem, I don't think they'll fix it anyway. Kato USA is very picky about what they do and what they don't do from the looks of it. Essentially - they seem to only want to do what you (the customer) asks them to do.
Tony have you googled for a specific brand and then checked video links ? Now adays YouTube has so many offering. Back around 2005ish when I was installing decoders in my Bachman steam engines there was barely any info available online so a lot of it was basicly ringing out the wires and routing the wires to the schematic on the decoder. Troubleshooting I would imagine can be basic maintenance which would include cleaning and lubing.

This sounds like a business opportunity. I could probably make tens of dollars at it.

At the very least ....... let me know when you have found someone to get you going and how it all went 😂🤣
Tony have you googled for a specific brand and then checked video links ? Now adays YouTube has so many offering. Back around 2005ish when I was installing decoders in my Bachman steam engines there was barely any info available online so a lot of it was basicly ringing out the wires and routing the wires to the schematic on the decoder. Troubleshooting I would imagine can be basic maintenance which would include cleaning and lubing.

There are lots of video's etc - I just don't want to mess around with engines in that way, especially Steam Engines, they (to me) are just too finicky with too many parts to disassemble. I have gotten to a point where I don't have the patience to deal with things like that :(

There are lots of video's etc - I just don't want to mess around with engines in that way, especially Steam Engines, they (to me) are just too finicky with too many parts to disassemble. I have gotten to a point where I don't have the patience to deal with things like that :(
Tony, you are not alone. I can't even work on my O gauge Lionel trains anymore. Arthritis has made my left hand all but useless and my right is not far behind. It is all I can do to lube and clean them.

For various reasons there are many people like us who need a good mail order service center.

I wish you luck.

Tony, you are not alone. I can't even work on my O gauge Lionel trains anymore. Arthritis has made my left hand all but useless and my right is not far behind. It is all I can do to lube and clean them.

For various reasons there are many people like us who need a good mail order service center.

I wish you luck.

Mate, if I find someone who is "honest, reasonably priced and very reliable" I'll let you know as you are 1000% correct. Not everyone wants to repair etc their own engines or are capable of doing so, for a variety of reasons.

I am honestly amazed at how this is such a technical hobby yet no one seems to have considered a "Repair Busines" for it. To me it is almost like having an automobile industry with no mechanics/garages/repair shops, that you are expected to do all your own work. That does seem to be the attitude of some people in this hobby as well - your engines, your responsibility.

In conclusion, I am sure we are not the only ones who are in this position but due to the attitudes of some, I think a lot of people just keep quiet and muddle through OR replace what they have rather than being ridiculed.

At the very least ....... let me know when you have found someone to get you going and how it all went 😂🤣

And I can’t even imagine in N scale.

Tony, this is a stab in the dark:

I would give Mike Fifer an call(Fifer hobbies) If he doesn't repair, chances are he knows of a person to recommend. Hès been at N scale a long time, and probably has contacts we don't.

Tony, this is a stab in the dark:

I would give Mike Fifer an call(Fifer hobbies) If he doesn't repair, chances are he knows of a person to recommend. Hès been at N scale a long time, and probably has contacts we don't.

Mike - your a genius!!

I know Mike and have dealt with him for years, why I didn't think of him is beyond me. I'll email him now - Cheers Mate!!!

To me it is almost like having an automobile industry with no mechanics/garages/repair shops, that you are expected to do all your own work.
Oh, I thought that was the automobile industry. No mechanics just part changers. Heaven forbid they should actually fix something.

Example. My diesel Excursion decided it didn't want to start. Garage said oh the xyz board is bad need to replace $2500 for the part and similar for labor. I took off the part ( whole 15 minute operation ), looked at it. noticed two surface mount resistors had become unsoldered. Soldered them back in. 5 hours later good to go. That was over 10 years ago and still running great.

Last edited:

Back