Engine Repairs?

Oh, I thought that was the automobile industry. No mechanics just part changers. Heaven forbid they should actually fix something.

In general you are 100% right - no such thing as a real mechanic now a days. All they do is plug a bloody computer into the vehicle, get a coffee and the read (or try to read if they can) what the computer tells them. Gee that's really worth $90 - $120 an hour aint it!!

Have to admit, I am lucky - I have a real, old fashioned mechanic who really gets his hands dirty and wont employ anyone who needs a computer to do their job.

Okay - emailed Mike and Robin replied already ... they don't do repairs BUT she did give me the name of someone who does N Scale stuff. She wasn't sure if he did repairs or not though. I have sent him and email and if he does do repairs, I'll ask him if he wants some free advertising on the Forums :) :)

Okay an update - I got a response from the contact that Robin gave me and yes, he does do repairs on N Scale engines, especially N Scale Steam Engines, repairs and DC to DCC conversion; HOWEVER, he has just had heart surgery so am not sure if he is taking on any work at the moment - he wants to talk to me o the phone before he commits to doing mine even.

I'll keep you updated though and hopefully, he will be able to help us - fingers crossed.

In general you are 100% right - no such thing as a real mechanic now a days. All they do is plug a bloody computer into the vehicle, get a coffee and the read (or try to read if they can) what the computer tells them. Gee that's really worth $90 - $120 an hour aint it!!

Have to admit, I am lucky - I have a real, old fashioned mechanic who really gets his hands dirty and wont employ anyone who needs a computer to do their job.
I have to agree that there are a lack of 'real' mechanics now, they are mostly trained to replace rather than fix, however all these sensors that our cars have these days are there to pick up small issues before they become big issues that require expensive fixes.

My stepson has just branched out to having his own garage and he aims to fix, rather than replace where he can. He says most of the time a fault is a sensor or a coil pack that has expired, and those parts are quite cheap, however finding out which sensor has packed in can take a good while. A fault in one sensor can throw up a code in other related sensors so it's a case of testing each one until you find out the fault one, and that can take hours. Its also very expensive to get the diagnostic equipment, the scanners cost an absolute fortune, the cheapest my stepson could find was a used one at £5k, and the manufacturers fault database access costs are horrendous too - the VAG group is over £8k to access alone, and you have to pay a top up fee to access data on each new variant of a model. Its the manufacturers that ultimately force these costs on us.

He is operating a business model where he'll tell you the fault, and give you a range of options from just clear the codes, to fix the issue and associated process parts. He's doing quite a good trade so far. One thing he has told is he refuses to work on JLR products because they use the cheapest of parts - we have a brand on sale in the UK called Dacia (part of the Nissan-Renault group), they are the cheapest on the market yet use better quality parts than JLR!

Back to loco repairs, I do all my own but I don't go near steam loco's!!!

I have to agree that there are a lack of 'real' mechanics now, they are mostly trained to replace rather than fix, however all these sensors that our cars have these days are there to pick up small issues before they become big issues that require expensive fixes.

My stepson has just branched out to having his own garage and he aims to fix, rather than replace where he can. He says most of the time a fault is a sensor or a coil pack that has expired, and those parts are quite cheap, however finding out which sensor has packed in can take a good while. A fault in one sensor can throw up a code in other related sensors so it's a case of testing each one until you find out the fault one, and that can take hours. Its also very expensive to get the diagnostic equipment, the scanners cost an absolute fortune, the cheapest my stepson could find was a used one at £5k, and the manufacturers fault database access costs are horrendous too - the VAG group is over £8k to access alone, and you have to pay a top up fee to access data on each new variant of a model. Its the manufacturers that ultimately force these costs on us.

He is operating a business model where he'll tell you the fault, and give you a range of options from just clear the codes, to fix the issue and associated process parts. He's doing quite a good trade so far. One thing he has told is he refuses to work on JLR products because they use the cheapest of parts - we have a brand on sale in the UK called Dacia (part of the Nissan-Renault group), they are the cheapest on the market yet use better quality parts than JLR!

Back to loco repairs, I do all my own but I don't go near steam loco's!!!
Unless your replacing the gears or rods on a steamer where you may need to Quarter the wheels (and you can now get a jig to help you do that) most wheelsets are removed completely intact, as you don't remove the piston rods, after that it's as near as you can get to a diesel.

Replacing the wheelsets back in a steamer is simple, as the wheels will still be quartered, and will slot back in correctly.

Okay an update - I got a response from the contact that Robin gave me and yes, he does do repairs on N Scale engines, especially N Scale Steam Engines, repairs and DC to DCC conversion; HOWEVER, he has just had heart surgery so am not sure if he is taking on any work at the moment - he wants to talk to me o the phone before he commits to doing mine even.

I'll keep you updated though and hopefully, he will be able to help us - fingers crossed.
At least now you have somewhere to start.

Tony I've torn down and repaire many HO scale engines both diesel and steam never N scale
problem that I can see is getting parts anymore and like mentioned we all getting over that damn hill :mad:

OH and someone cut the trailer plug off one of my trailers no one knows who or will admit but they were twisted back together wit tape
Gues who gets to fix it

Tony - all my locos are old, newest one was made in 1991. I buy them on ebay. I know many don't like that place but a savvy shopper can do very well there. With those old models there is no worry of "wrecking" something, fun to experiment as well.

I have a search set up and daily check what is newly listed in steam engines. I will get to know a model then that is what I buy several "junk" or "does not run" models. Not sure but you probably will not see the big selection in N like there is in HO.

I also learn many things, like the Bachmann 2-8-0 older models do not touch with a 10 foot pole. Even new old stock.

Varney makes a very good steam engine, however over the years made subtle changes, the latest "Casey Jones (4-6-0) (mfg dates 1959-196?) with the K in the number used some junk for their drive train, metal which actually deteriorated. However, the body casting is superior to the older models. I am currently rebuilding one of these.

I have one of the older ones, made about 1958, which has actually smoothed out a lot since I put it in service this spring. It did not run, however they had the tender wheels on wrong, that was the only problem with it! needed a bit of lubrication as well.

Another interesting detail that even though the model number is the same, the motor and gearings may be different between model years.

By the way, I do most of my auto repairs, in part why I drive a 1988 model year.

Dave LASM

Have
replace what they have ...
That is what I do, eBay is my friend. Most of what I need repaired is old stuff.

The modern Lionel stuff I can send to Lionel in North Carolina. So far only once did I have to send something to Lionel. They paid for shipping both ways and fixed it for free! Here is the kicker, the warranty had expired almost a year before I sent it to them.

Back