DESPERATE FOR DIGITRAX HELP

Hoopdog9

I am trying to use a Digitrax DCS 210+ system on my layout, using the DT602 controller. It has been a TOTAL NIGHTMARE.
I have tried for 5 days to get this thing to work. I cannot get locos to be assigned individual addresses, so I can run independent locos, which is the whole point of using DCC!!! Either they A) won't take programming commands, or B) if they do, once I get them off the programming track and onto the main line, they don't respond to any command at any address, even the default 03. IAfter 3 days of heartache, I actually got two Atlas Masterline locos with ESU decoders to work...until I tried to program a third loco and now, none respond. Now, I have three dead locos and nothing is working. I have followed the instructions in the manual. I have used the Digitrax CV calculator tool. I have had numerous chats with the Digitrax help desk and followed their advice. I have scoured YouTube for helpful videos. After 5 days, this system won't even run a single loco now and I have no idea why. I know it isn't some kind of short circuit.
I am ready to literally take a sledgehammer to all my Digitrax stuff. I went with Digitrax, because they got such good reviews and were touted as being easy to use...what a crock. I have to be a NASA rocket scientist to be able to figure this thing out. This is supposed to be fun, not have me literally in tears with frustration. I'm not a moron, I should be able to figure this out!
Is there anyone out there who uses the DCS 210+ and knows how to program locos using the Digitrax DCS 210+ system with a DT602 controller...or know someone who I can contact that does? An actual live person that I can actually have a conversation with? I live in the Akron/Canton OH area. I am to the point that I will literally pay someone to come to my house and show me what to do, since I can't get a straight answer from Digitrax and they won't call me.
I'm ready to get out of this hobby, if this is what I have to deal with. Can someone, somewhere help me, before I give up????
Thanks,
Mike

Wow. Does your system allow different modes for programming? Addressing should normally be done in Paged Mode. From there, all other programming is done on the new address in Ops Mode.

Assuming your system is getting the correct voltage, and that you are in Ops Mode, place only one locomotive on the rails and reset it, but use Add '00'. Remove track power.

Restore track power and acquire the lone locomotive on Add '03'. It should have reset and be at your disposal. If so, try addressing it again, but in Paged Mode. When the locomotive chirps or shunts during the 'enter' press after inputting the new address, you must tell the system how to set CV29 to configure the loco based on a 'long' or a 'short address' Most decoders take any addresses higher than 127 as a 'long address'. My own Digitrax DB150, an ancient system, prompts me on the throttle display by asking 'Y' or 'N' to a long address. I have few short addresses as most locos have cab numbers higher than 127, at least in my stable they do. So, I wait for the beep, shunt, shunt, and then the display asks me to press one or the other button. I press 'Y' and the system beeps and shunts again. Then, my Digitrax system REMOVES track power automatically. I must restore track power and then dial in the new address. From there, things work as normal.

If none of the foregoing works for you for any of your locomotives, you have a defective system. Either hand-held throttle, connection is intermittent, or the main unit is faulty. Or the power supply is intermittent.

Sorry to learn of your frustration!
There should be page, direct, ops, and service mode on the throttle as I recall. (Mine is boxed up right now)
Hit the program button to scroll thru. Also recommend a separate program track.
And whoever told you Digitrax was an easy system lied, if he’s dating your daughter put a stop to it.

Digitrax is a full featured operating system. It gives you a lot of support for small to gigantic layouts.
You can go with a cheaper system but then, finding others who have experience becomes more difficult.
Sorta like with computers. Windows is the predominant computer operating system and most people have experience from little to extensive. You can go with an Apple type machine, but finding someone who can help you with a problem is difficult. Yeah, many Apple owners, but not too many can go beyond choosing screen options.
As for your woes, it certainly sounds like you're missing a step or two somehow.
A separate programming track would be beneficial and even better if you had a computer linked to your command station so you could use JMRI.
ESU requires a LokProgrammer to do most of your programming, but JMRI can hit the basics for ya, i.e. address, direction, consist, etc.

WOW! OK, not sure why you're having so much hassle setting the decoder address, the DT602 menu is the same as my DS52 unit.

Sound as if you left all your loco's on the tack if you lost all three, if you did, now you know why you use a programming track or an isolated section of track for programming

Try the following

In the menu find Quick Decoder Setup and then read the decoder first, when it's completed it should show the short address as 3.
Now select 2PD; Direct on Prg Trk
Select 3: CV29 now select DATA and enter the CV value, and then select WRITE and allow the unit to write to the decoder,
Press SELECT again and now enter 2: AD4 then select DATA and enter the long address you want to use,
then select WRITE allow it to write to the decoder and then read the decoder again to ensure the changes have been written

Last edited:
Okay, let's see if we can talk you down.
First things first, grab a couple pieces of wire. Connect them to the "prog A" and "Prog B" connections on the command station.
Connect the other ends of the wire to a piece of track. You can worry about a more permanent solution later.
On your controller, select "Prog", then select "pg" or "pgd" depending on your controller.
Place a single engine on the track you connected the programming wires to.
Select "ad2" or "ad4" depending on what address you want to use.
Enter the address.
Push "prog wr"
The engine's lights should flash, or the motor will pulse.
Now push either "ad 2" or "ad 4", and push "rd".
The address you programmed should be displayed.
Don't forget to exit programming mode before trying to run anything. Your command station should have two toggle switches, make sure they are set to "run" and "HO".

If you perform the steps that smudge617 outlined you should be successful. I set up my decoders on the programming track and then set all other cvs on the mainline. Mostly soundtraxx and digitrax decoders with no issues on a digitrax 210+ system.

He's prolly happily running his trains.
I would think they don't feel they have enough experience to be able to contribute to fixes but they know where to come for answers.
We have all been there.

I am trying to use a Digitrax DCS 210+ system on my layout, using the DT602 controller. It has been a TOTAL NIGHTMARE.
I have tried for 5 days to get this thing to work. I cannot get locos to be assigned individual addresses, so I can run independent locos, which is the whole point of using DCC!!! Either they A) won't take programming commands, or B) if they do, once I get them off the programming track and onto the main line, they don't respond to any command at any address, even the default 03. IAfter 3 days of heartache, I actually got two Atlas Masterline locos with ESU decoders to work...until I tried to program a third loco and now, none respond. Now, I have three dead locos and nothing is working. I have followed the instructions in the manual. I have used the Digitrax CV calculator tool. I have had numerous chats with the Digitrax help desk and followed their advice. I have scoured YouTube for helpful videos. After 5 days, this system won't even run a single loco now and I have no idea why. I know it isn't some kind of short circuit.
I am ready to literally take a sledgehammer to all my Digitrax stuff. I went with Digitrax, because they got such good reviews and were touted as being easy to use...what a crock. I have to be a NASA rocket scientist to be able to figure this thing out. This is supposed to be fun, not have me literally in tears with frustration. I'm not a moron, I should be able to figure this out!
Is there anyone out there who uses the DCS 210+ and knows how to program locos using the Digitrax DCS 210+ system with a DT602 controller...or know someone who I can contact that does? An actual live person that I can actually have a conversation with? I live in the Akron/Canton OH area. I am to the point that I will literally pay someone to come to my house and show me what to do, since I can't get a straight answer from Digitrax and they won't call me.
I'm ready to get out of this hobby, if this is what I have to deal with. Can someone, somewhere help me, before I give up????
Thanks,
Mike
Hey Hoopdog...I am in same boat...not a coder, software engineer or an electrical engineer. I went to Digitrax website, opened a ticket basically saying same thing you typed above. Got a call within about 2 hours from a guy named Nate....he could not have been more patient and he spent an hour on the phone with me and got me up an running....long way to go but at least I can see some results for the hours I have spent trying to get this thing figured out. I told him about you and he said ...."tell him to put in a ticket and request him!!". Good luck.

Have you noticed how often new users show up with an urgent problem, get lots of answers and disappear, never to be seen or heard from again? I hope our hoopdog isn't one of those.
Well, often they will post their issue on several different MR sites, and whichever one answers first which is usually the one "across the tracks", is the only one they return to. We don't have the user base they have, so over there is is usually a matter of minutes or even seconds before someone replies. I've seen posts here go a whole day before we reply. This time it looks we were pretty quick, but who knows.

Back