Deciding on my first serious loco

About DC engines on DCC-managed layouts: my experience, about 22 seconds long, and my reading of the descriptions of others' experiences, is that it isn't a pleasant thing at all. Due to the nature of the signal, its frequent pulses, the DC engine squeals in response, although it improves a bit as the speed of the DC loco increases. I feel that most people give up on that idea pretty quickly. Since some of them must have faster chips upstairs than I have, they would have decided in something less than the 22 seconds it took for me to make up my mind. :rolleyes:

However, for the sets that do allow running a DC engine, you have to dial in voltage on your throttle under address "00" to get the engine to run...it won't take off on it's own.

That's really interesting. I would be too confused with all the wiring if I tried to run both. Too bad you don't have a video of that 22 seconds and your face afterword hehe

Well I've narrowed my selection down to these. The first 3 that are DCC ready I want to make sure can handle everything, sound, smoke, lights if not included (including interior lights).

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/bac-82503.htm

This one has a great price, cheaper than even almost identical versions. Not sure why.
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann_HO_84114_Spectrum_4_6_2_K4_PRR_5475_p/bac-84114.htm

This is another version of the last one but is $40 more. If there is a difference, let me know.
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann_HO_84014_Spectrum_4_6_2_K4_PRR_1361_p/bac-8414.htm

This one comes equipped with DCC and sound. Since I don't know the difference in brands and quality, I was wondering if this is a better buy in the long run, or would I save by getting the chips/controls separately.
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann_HO_84402_Spectrum_K4_4_6_2_Pacific_p/bac-84402.htm

It doesn't matter which of these I buy just as long as I can upgrade at will.

I'll answer your last question first. The Tsunami is a top sound decoder. $169 is a good price. The chip alone will go $100 plus.

The difference between the others has to do with popularity. The less popular the model (higher inventories) the cheaper it will be.

I have two Bachmann Steamers. Both run well. Some people say that Bachmann has inconsistent quality. Maybe so, I've not had issues. But I do know that their customer service is great and if you get a lemon, they will make it right.

The Bachman spectrums have as good quality as any other in my opinion. They have to live with their reputation of questionable quality that was earned over a long period of time. This will pass as long as they keep up their current quality and customer service.

I can answer definitively about the two K4s's. The second you show is none other than #1361 that, up until about 10-12 years ago, was pulling excursion trains, and may still run out on the rails if a few people can get their poo together. That one engine, of which my own BLI all-metal version is a model, is going to be very popular, as Chip suggests, and will command a few more dollars out of your wallet if'n you want one.

-Crandell

C-water-tank.png

Varillion,
Chip, Selector and some of the other guys on the forum have a lot more working knowledge of DCC than I do, that's for sure. Also as Chip points out DCC seems to be the way things are going too and with ability of on-board Control and Sound it gives you quite a bit of flexibility for sure.

The point I was trying to make about a single person operation is that the ability to operate two trains independently at the same time on the same track would seem to me to be a recipe for disaster and that is why I suggest just running one train at a time like the real engineer does. He may have two locomotives double headed to pull a larger consist but he still is only operating one train at a time.

I believe the enjoyment is in watching the Loco and cars as they move through the various parts of your layouts scenery along with making stops here and there for various things such as water, Coal/wood etc.. That to me is the highpoint point of operation along with signalling and maintaining control of your train.

So if a person is trying to run two trains at a time going in different directions using DCC it would seem to me that he be running back and forth trying to check everything that was happening to each train to try and avoid a collision with something or other mishap such as a derailing and the problems that can cause and he'd be so busy he loose the enjoyment of watching the operation of just one train!

So in doing this it would seem that the enjoyment of operating a single train and being able to watch it's movements and signalling would more than take up all of an operators/engineers time and concentration and of course it's the only prototypical way too!

The sound DCC Offers is very nice if the sound decoders put out approiate sounds which not all do so I heard for myself and been told. The ability to run multiple trains on a single operators layout make no sense to me as mentioned above.

So for a single operator having DCC control is a bit of over kill except for the convience of sound and not having to have your layout broken into blocks but depending on the run of the mainline and possible spur line added boosters my be required but not normally with a smaller layout to my limited knowledge of DCC.

There are plenty of Pros & Cons in setting up a layout using either system of powering the trains and it might be wise to investigate both?

Last edited by a moderator:
Say Crandel,
That's quite a nice job on the cable banding around the water tank. Did you the maticulous painting painting?

If so it look great!

I think because of the ease involved with DCC and the possibility for new technology coming out, I'll stick with it. If I want to expand, I can always put a DC layout together in the future.

DCC is the way to go. Once you use it, you'll never, ever want to use a DC engine again. I'd snap up that sound equipped right quick. As Chip said, the sound chip alone is worth almost as much as the engine. Once you have sound and DCC, everything else will seem boring. Trust me on this.

David, running two trains on the same mainline would be a challenge but I do regularly run two trains, one on the mainline and the other doing switching in the yard or an industrial spur. DCC makes this a breeze compared to block wiring and control panels.

It is a done deal. Just placed the order. I can't thank everyone enough, and I'm sure I'll be in many more threads in the coming years. Now, it's time to turn this lumber into something I can use :cool:

Say Crandel,
That's quite a nice job on the cable banding around the water tank. Did you the maticulous painting painting?

If so it look great!

Thank-you, Sir!

The bands are green heavy thread that came with the kit. I was dubious about it looking halfways decent once completed, but deferred to the fellows who designed and made the kits, thinking it was to represent 3/4" cable or something like it. It seems to look okay. Imagine that!

-Crandell

Thanks, Chip! :) The irony is that I had felt the same way as you. When I finally tackled this dusty kit in late October, I hadn't run a train around the layout for pleasure or built a single thing in months. Sorry, I did build two new fir trees so that I could improve my trestle shots. But no kits, no play, since about April. :eek:

I had to put some spark in the ol' engine, and going for broke on a kit I had been putting off seemed the way to succeed...or go down in flames. I am happy with the kit, in my experience in building it, and that you find pleasure in its rendering.

-Crandell

How could one not find enjoyment in that? :D One of the most astonishing things to me is when you can look from a few feet away or snap a picture, and then you have to concentrate to actually see it isn't real. It blows my mind what some of you guys can do.

Varillon- i figured out the difference in the two engines:
$69.00 is PRE-War slotted pilot, $99.00 is POST-War modern pilot.
They have 8 in stock of the Pre-war, 4 in stock of the Post-war models.
Depends on how critical your era is to you vs. engine price.:rolleyes:
Mikey

Varillon- i figured out the difference in the two engines:
$69.00 is PRE-War slotted pilot, $99.00 is POST-War modern pilot.
They have 8 in stock of the Pre-war, 4 in stock of the Post-war models.
Depends on how critical your era is to you vs. engine price.:rolleyes:
Mikey

Talk about minor. I probably never would have realized that. Well, I have the K4 equipped with DCC on the way now, so at least I don't have that to worry about. And GEEZ I'm sore. About half the wood is cut with some of it already assembled. Apparently spending all this time in grad school and on a computer has put me terribly out of shape. :(

I need a little help choosing a locomotive. I've decided to go with HO scale since I plan to build a 4x8 table. I'd like a 4-8-4 steam loco with DCC.

I don't wanna burst your bubble too much, and I don't think anyone has mentioned this before me, but a 4-8-4 on a 4x8 is one of two things:

1. Impossible.

2. Not good looking.

4-8-4 locos don't really like much of anything under 22", as I learned on this forum earlier. I'm really not certain you have a wide enough table for that size. Better to scale down to a pacific or smaller if you want a nice steamer on a small table.

If by some chance you get a northern that can tolerate 18" curves, it will look so bizarre on that tight radius that you might not like it.

[EDIT] Kay, nevermind. I see you picked out a nice little loco. In that case, good luck with your artistic expression!

I don't wanna burst your bubble too much, and I don't think anyone has mentioned this before me, but a 4-8-4 on a 4x8 is one of two things:

1. Impossible.

2. Not good looking.

4-8-4 locos don't really like much of anything under 22", as I learned on this forum earlier. I'm really not certain you have a wide enough table for that size. Better to scale down to a pacific or smaller if you want a nice steamer on a small table.

If by some chance you get a northern that can tolerate 18" curves, it will look so bizarre on that tight radius that you might not like it.

[EDIT] Kay, nevermind. I see you picked out a nice little loco. In that case, good luck with your artistic expression!

No worries :) I am going to attempt to have 24" curves with a little splicing to my 4x4 sections. I just finished the platform for the most part. Once I'm satisfied, I'll have to grab a couple of shots for you guys.

Back