Darn, am I in trouble!!!

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Hey Guys,

I am going to be in sooooo much trouble ... I am going to build myself a "small" G Scale layout outside. Basically it is going to be an oval, of sorts, in an area that measures about 20' X 40' (give or take).

Why am I going to be in trouble - the Chief Engineer doesn't know - yet, so if I inexplicably disappear again, you'll know why :(

Now, I know what some of you might be thinking, he has an unfinished HO Layout, an N Scale Layout at an unknown stage (it is finished guys) and now he wants to build a G Scale - is he nuts?" Well, most likely I am but I need changes to generate more interest and I think thins will do that. Aside from that, I can't stand being in doors when the weather is great, so the G Scale will achieve a few things, get me out of the house, give me something to do out of the house AND, might even get the wife more involved being so much bigger than the HO Scale and being outdoors.

That's my excuse and I AM sticking to it! :D

Outdoor G-Scale layouts offer the additional benefits of gardening and landscaping. I thoroughly enjoyed my days of outdoor railroading, although maintaining my Koi pond was another story...

Good Luck!

"so if I inexplicably disappear again, you'll know why"
So you're saying there might be a small mound in that 20' x 40' space?

I got into G with a small starter set and grew from there.
Still no layout but the land is staked out. I used the same reasoning as you,miss good to be outside plus now gardening is involved so SWMBO is happy!

Hey Guys,

I am going to be in sooooo much trouble ... I am going to build myself a "small" G Scale layout outside. Basically it is going to be an oval, of sorts, in an area that measures about 20' X 40' (give or take).

Why am I going to be in trouble - the Chief Engineer doesn't know - yet, so if I inexplicably disappear again, you'll know why :(

Now, I know what some of you might be thinking, he has an unfinished HO Layout, an N Scale Layout at an unknown stage (it is finished guys) and now he wants to build a G Scale - is he nuts?" Well, most likely I am but I need changes to generate more interest and I think thins will do that. Aside from that, I can't stand being in doors when the weather is great, so the G Scale will achieve a few things, get me out of the house, give me something to do out of the house AND, might even get the wife more involved being so much bigger than the HO Scale and being outdoors.

That's my excuse and I AM sticking to it! :D

Make sure that you have plenty of hoppers, for when you're on garden duty, you know.....tidying up flower beds etc., etc., you'll need something to ship all that soil, dirt or whatyacallit in...

You might try to convince your wife to try bonsai trees. It will involve her in the process and give her something to do and make her feel part of the process.

Good luck if that doesn't work. :D

Joe

I am going to build myself a "small" G Scale layout outside.
Ok, if you are really going to do this it might be good to get terminology correct. There is really no such thing as G-Scale, it is G-Gauge (Even NMRA gave up trying to Scaleify it and calls it collectively Large Scale or LS). This is because that size track (45mm) is used for several scales. My G-gauge stuff is Fn3 Scale (1:20.3). It uses the G-gauge track to represent USA 3 feet narrow gauge. There are also three scales that use the 45mm track for North American standard gauge 4' 8.5" I don't know if they have scale designations, but they are 1:32 (also called "standard gauge"), 1:29, 1:25, and 1:24. Then there is the LGB that uses the same track for European Narrow Gauge (don't know what real size) but the scale is 1:22.5. To further confuse things, LGB does make other equipment for the North American market in the other sizes, so just because it says LGB does not mean it is 1:22.5. You need to read the boxes. Likewise Bachmann makes two sizes, 1:20.3 and one of the others.

So if one isn't careful they can end up with some really screwy looking (no ... ridiculous looking) train & layout.

Have you already purchased some equipment that will determine the scale your new venture is here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for it Tony!

John, Thanks and I am working on the principle of starting slow and small and building on it from there.

Say Tony,
Sounds like it might just work!

Trussrod, I'm hoping so. I think once the better half see's that it is going to be apart of our "BBQ" area and not just a model layout she will accept it and enjoy it. The big thing is it is going to be outside, so NOT inside mess to deal with :)

you will always be in trouble for something, might as well be for something good.

Outdoor G-Scale layouts offer the additional benefits of gardening and landscaping. I thoroughly enjoyed my days of outdoor railroading, although maintaining my Koi pond was another story...

Good Luck!

AyTrane, thanks and that is an aspect of it I really didn't think about all that much. I knew it was going to involve landscaping and "scenery" (aka plants etc) but didn't think of it as gardening. That is a definite bonus!

"so if I inexplicably disappear again, you'll know why"
So you're saying there might be a small mound in that 20' x 40' space?

I got into G with a small starter set and grew from there.
Still no layout but the land is staked out. I used the same reasoning as you,miss good to be outside plus now gardening is involved so SWMBO is happy!

Rico, could be a good chance of that mound appearing! My wife has a saying for people she doesn't want around the house ... "your more than welcome, IF you want to become a lawn ornament". Never considered that might apply to me though :)

I am adopting the same thought process as you, start small and build on that over time. I don't want this to become anything overly complex, but do want it to be interesting. I know it is going to be a learning curve and will have it's own, unique, problems and that is what I am looking forward to - I like to be challenged and to be pushed to make things work.

Despite having a 20' X 40' area, the whole thing will run around the edges, a bit like my HO layout with the main area being down one end. The rest of the area is going to be a BBQ area and grassed. The area I want to use has been "laid out since last year, boxed and ready for top soil etc so the perimeters are already in place. Until I saw the layout in Erie, I never thought about an outside layout/railway.

Make sure that you have plenty of hoppers, for when you're on garden duty, you know.....tidying up flower beds etc., etc., you'll need something to ship all that soil, dirt or whatyacallit in...

* And flatbeds with cylinder bucks to hold refreshment canisters from the refrigerated depot out to the track gang. :cool:

Guys, that is a great idea - use it as a "tool" for the garden! Will a G Scale train pull buckets of dirt etc though?

You might try to convince your wife to try bonsai trees. It will involve her in the process and give her something to do and make her feel part of the process.

Good luck if that doesn't work. :D

Joe

Joe, funnily enough, my wife likes those small (I think you could call them Bonsai) cacti - this could be an opportunity to incorporate a Cacti Garden. Thanks for the idea.

Ok, if you are really going to do this it might be good to get terminology correct. There is really no such thing as G-Scale, it is G-Gauge (Even NMRA gave up trying to Scaleify it and calls it collectively Large Scale or LS). This is because that size track (45mm) is used for several scales. My G-gauge stuff is Fn3 Scale (1:20.3). It uses the G-gauge track to represent USA 3 feet narrow gauge. There are also three scales that use the 45mm track for North American standard gauge 4' 8.5" I don't know if they have scale designations, but they are 1:32 (also called "standard gauge"), 1:29, 1:25, and 1:24. Then there is the LGB that uses the same track for European Narrow Gauge (don't know what real size) but the scale is 1:22.5. To further confuse things, LGB does make other equipment for the North American market in the other sizes, so just because it says LGB does not mean it is 1:22.5. You need to read the boxes. Likewise Bachmann makes two sizes, 1:20.3 and one of the others.

So if one isn't careful they can end up with some really screwy looking (no ... ridiculous looking) train & layout.

Have you already purchased some equipment that will determine the scale your new venture is here?

Horseman, that is one thing that has been confusing me and making decisions a little harder than simply buying track, engine and rolling stock. I have read the Wikipedia explanation and you confirm what was said there. What I concluded was I would need to pick a manufacturer (ie LGB) of track and stick with that manufacturer for compatibility sake. I also understood that the scale does not effect the truck size in terms of width as all track is 45 mm between the rails.

I think I am starting to understand the "scaling though" and that seems to apply more to engines, rolling stock and scenery. I agree if you were to have a 1:32nd scale engine with 1:22nd scale rolling stock it would look ridiculous. I suppose my theory concerning track will also apply to engines and rolling stock - pick a manufacturer and stick with them.

As a "start" I have purchased two lengths of LGB 10610 straight track, some Split Jaw Track Power Clamps and a bag of Split Jaw Over the Rail Clamps and a USA GP38-2 loco which is 1:29th scale. That is it for the time being.

Any insight with regards makes - most popular (available) scale etc would be greatly appreciated though.

By Aristo....I think.

ore%20car%205-11_1_1.jpg

Thought I read some where that Aristo Craft were out of business?
That is true in the technical sense. The Aristo-Craft officially went out of business about 18 months ago, but instantly (about 3 months later) Polk Generation X started. It has exactly the same product line. I got an e-mail from old the Aristo-Craft stating something to that effect. So I assume it was something like the passing of the company from the original owner to his grandchildren. http://polksgenerationext.com/

I also assume the 3 months delay had something to do with allowing all the dealers to clearance the "last of" the Aristo-Craft stuff.

USA GP38-2 loco which is 1:29th scale.
A few years back I passed up several amazing deals for USA locos. I am a sucker for a good deal and had to work really hard to talk myself out of it. Last thing I need is yet another scale to play with. As I recall I could have had an Alco PA, GP38-2, SD45, E8, and F3? for under $200 each.

I really like the LGB track. It is the best for putting together and apart. Seems to be most sturdy. However, I set up and take down the trains for shows and Christmas. If you are setting it up an a permanent basis I think the Polk might be better, because it has actual rail joiners with screws in them. No working the joints loose through time and usage. Polk also makes two different tie styles. Wide spaced for narrow gauge (like the LGB) and another tighter spaced for the standard gauge. I do mix the types but the LGB seems to stretch the Polk joiners just a bit. The LGB is also missing a "medium" curve turnout from their product line. Don't know why because it would be the most popular size if they made it.

Horseman,

Thank you for the input. I am planning a permanent setup so the Polk might be the best way to go then and would remove the necessity for the Split Jaw joiners, which are a little on the exy side.

I take it from your reply that you recommend sectional track over flex. Because I intend this to be a permanent setup, wouldn't flex be better especially from a reduce amount of joins? That being said, I looked at the Polk site and didn't see any flex track, although their site is a little confusing to navigate if you don't know what you are looking at or for.

After taking a second look at the area I have, and what it's main purpose is going to be, I will be restricted to a maximum of a 10' diameter so having a medium curve doesn't really effect me too much I don't think, especially as it is going to be a basic oval to start with. That being said, and not too sure what a "medium curve is considered", the more choices you have the better.

Good luck Tony. Go for it.

I have a friend who added a live steam layout in his back yard. (A couple of acres). He had a few comment from the other half about it, but when it was finally up and running, there were not problems, bruises or broken bones. Keep us posted on the project.

I take it from your reply that you recommend sectional track over flex. Because I intend this to be a permanent setup, wouldn't flex be better especially from a reduce amount of joins?
Well, just remember that a piece of sectional track in G-gauge can be only a foot long but that is the exception. A piece of sectional track can also and more likely be 3-4 feet long. So comparing it to HO and N sectional track is sort of an apples / oranges thing. Plus remember how heavy the rail is. A "flex" track in G-gauge is not nearly as flexible as a stick of HO. The base is 1/4" wide and we want to "bend" it? I've seen the aluminum flex track in the store, but I've never used any. Even my outdoor layout was stainless steel sectional track with 10' radius curves (each section is about 39" long) and straights are 4 foot sections. I have found almost zero need for flex track. I did at one time (back in the prior house I was going to go permanent in my back yard) start cutting my own ties to hand lay, but soon tedium gave away to the convenience of just buying a 5' section of straight. My time is worth something.

Outdoor layout for City of Hudson 125th Anniversary - August 2012.
ggaugeoutside.jpg

After taking a second look at the area I have, and what it's main purpose is going to be, I will be restricted to a maximum of a 10' diameter so having a medium curve doesn't really effect me too much I don't think, especially as it is going to be a basic oval to start with. That being said, and not too sure what a "medium curve is considered", the more choices you have the better.
Sorry I slipped into using old terminology. In general, in old G-gauge terms a short curve is like the LBG standard 1100 curve. Basically a 4' diameter circle. Medium is the 1500 for a 5' circle. and the large is a 1600 for an 8' or so circle. More recently they (almost all the vendors) have added many larger sizes and have just started using numbers R1 is the smallest, R2 is the next large, R3 etc. Unfortunately all the R1s are not the same. The biggest thing is to watch and make certain whether they are talking radius or diameter and compare the real number size (e.g. 1100cm) rather than the "designation" of the curve. Also locomotives will be rated on the most narrow curve it can take. My Bachmann K-27 requires a 10' diameter curve.

From the Maerklin web site - LGB track system (this is a good thing to memorize): http://static.maerklin.de/media.php/de/produkte/sondereditionen/lgb-tracksystem-160_large.jpg I wish the other vendors would do the same.

Back