CSX Palmetto Spur

alcanman

Hi from a new member in the UK.

To intoduce myself, I thought I'd share a few pics of my recently completed small HO switching layout based on Lance Mindheim's 'Palmetto Spur' which featured in his book 'How to build a small switching layout'

I've also made a few videos of the layout which can be found here

http://youtu.be/45LPlmEbIr8

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays

Mal

That is a very nice little switching layout you got there! The detail on everything is very good and the lighting for the photos is great! Great job all around, look forward to seeing some more pictures and perhaps any plans for a larger layout?

Thanks Josh.

Having posted a few pics of the completed layout, I thought I'd go back to the beginning of the story.

A couple of years ago, whilst searching for a new project, I stumbled upon Lance Mindheim's 'East Rail' layout and was immediately inspired by the look and concept which was so different from anything I'd seen before.

Although, a small layout, East Rail was still too big for the space I had available - 9ft x 15ins. However, when Lance used 'Palmetto Spur' as a design for his book 'How to build a small switching layout' I figured I could fit a similar plan into my space.

For me this would be a radical departure from my usual layouts. Firstly, no run-around track and no hidden staging. I'd also dispense with electrically operated turnouts and Kadee magnets,uncoupling manually with coupler trips pins removed.

Benchwork consisted of my usual (UK style) 3'' x 1'' timber frame topped with 1/2'' MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) and 1/4'' cork floor tiles. The cork enables track to be pinned before final positioning and also has some sound deadening qualities.

Peco Code 100 track and medium radius turnouts were used for their robustness and reliability.

Here is the track plan and a pic showing the layout, half completed.

More to follow later ....

Mal

Very interesting switching layout. Proof that you don't need a lot of room for a railroad.

Hi,

The layout sits neatly on some furniture units from IKEA (see previous pic ) Very conveniently, the unit at the right hand end has some drawers which are perfect for exchanging and storing stock.

Normal operation sees a loco and 3 cars staged, partially hidden by the non-rail served warehouses, where it is supposed to have arrived from Bradenton, FL. The loco shoves the cars into Palmetto, switches the industries returning to staging with 3 new cars. This operation usually lasts a relaxing 20 to 30 mins.

I've added a few more pics to illustrate and this video shows a typical ops session http://youtu.be/RI4d77zMG-c

Mal

Thanks Josh.

The original track plan had a team track which provided a great excuse to run all different types of cars. However, I felt I would really like to use the track for another small industry. Searching around I found a couple of plastic pellet transloading facilities at Deland, FL and Eustis, FL (see pics below)

View attachment 28765

View attachment 28766

View attachment 28767

I decided to use the 2 small silos which had been located at the food processor (now a beer distributor) and place them at the end of the team
track.

View attachment 28768

A video showing plastic pellet operation at Palmetto can be seen here.

http://youtu.be/45LPlmEbIr8

Happy New Year

Mal

Great work, Mal and welcome to the forums! I have seen your work on YouTube as well... Love the shots and yes it definitely shows how feasible it is to do a finished layout.

Hi,

For the second year running Santa Claus failed to deliver an Atlas Gold CSX Dash 8-40B:(

However, I did receive a Noch Grassmaster static grass applicator.:)

Now, I've always thought they were too expensive and I couldn't justify one for my small layouts but I'd take the plunge and look at the purchase as an investment.

I know some people make their own with a fly swatter or tea strainer(here in the UK) but with my electrical skills I'd probably end up electrocuting myself.

Anyway, here are the results so far, which I'm quite pleased with.

regards,

Mal

Thanks Greg

Yesterday, I added more static grass to the beer distributor spur to give it an overgrown, disused look.

Today a delivery of beer has arrived:)

cheers,

Mal

Back