CSX Palmetto Spur

Hi,

I've now finished adding static grass to the layout by giving the staging track an 'overgrown' look. I am pleased with the results and can certainly recommend the Noch Grassmaster

regards,

Mal

It looks great. Now all you have to do is make some believeable palmetto scrub to go on the layout. The stuff grows almost everywhere, and is what the town is named after.
Actually, those of us from that general area call the town "palmghetto".

Very nice work.

Did you add sound to those locos yourself or did they come factory equipped? If the latter, what is the manufacturer please? Thanks.

Thanks Ken, both locos have factory fitted sound. The Atlas GP40-2 comes with a QSI Quantum decoder. The Athearn MP15AC has a Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder. Mal

Hi,

For some time I've been searching for a new loco for Palmetto. I finally decided to make my first purchase direct from the US and ordered an Atlas Gold (dcc sound fitted) CSX U30B. I like some of the older CSX paint schemes, although about 20 years early for my contemporary layout.

I placed my order with Trainworld, Brooklyn, NY last Tuesday and the loco arrived on Friday here in Blyth, NL, England. Excellent service and tracking with UPS.

Here's a couple of pics

Hi,

Having recently purchased and read Lance Mindheim's excellent new book 'How to operate a Modern Era switching layout, I was inspired to produce a new video.

I've learnt a lot about US switching operations and was keen to demonstrate this in the video.

Hope you like it.

http://youtu.be/EZXi0mlWqJE

regards,

Mal

Mal,

Fantastic work! I'm also working on a layout using Mindheim's "How to build a small Switching Layout" as my guide and your experience is very inspirational.

I wanted to ask why you decided to switch the track plan around so that the lead in runs from right to left?

Also, what colors did you use to paint the track? I like the color.

Regards,
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Thought I'd share a couple more pics of my new U-Boat.

regards,

Mal

Hey Mal,

Lots of great work you're showing us. I really love seeing the U-boat.
Back in the late 90's there was a Conrail U-boat running on the branch line. Couple of times I chased it about town with a camera.

Found this pic on line:

Mal,

Fantastic work! I'm also working on a layout using Mindheim's "How to build a small Switching Layout" as my guide and your experience is very inspirational.

I wanted to ask why you decided to switch the track plan around so that the lead in runs from right to left?

Also, what colors did you use to paint the track? I like the color.

Regards,
Ken

Thanks Ken, The only reason I reversed the track plan is because there is a small cut out in the baseboard, approx 6ins x 6ins, at the right hand end on the layout which is there to allow for the bedroom window curtains.

The track is painted with Humbrol Enamel dark brown (no 98 matt chocolate) with a little grey added.

regards,

Mal

Alcanman,
Ya can't fool us! That was the prototype! Seriously, fantastic job! What do you use for uncoupling the cars? Strategically placed between-the-rails Kaydee magnets or what?

Back