Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

I looked up murray-ohio 20 hp tractor on google images. There were so many different looking versions......but I ended up on my tractor forum and they seem like a bunch of good ole guys on there.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked up murray-ohio 20 hp tractor on google images. There were so many different looking versions......but I ended up on my tractor forum and they seem like a bunch of good ole guys on there.

Mike
Here's a photo of one similar. Mine is red. Don't let the photo fool you. This thing is BIG! If I lean over as far as I can I still can't touch the ground. It took four men to push it up an ATV ramp into the bed of my fathers truck. This b***h is HEAVY! It only took one man to unload it. I kicked it down the ramp and let it roll as far as it wanted to. Everyone else jumped out of the way for some reason.

murray46.jpg

murray46-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! does it come with a snow plow attachment? I don't care what that Woodchuck said, we still have winter to deal with.

Ha! does it come with a snow plow attachment? I don't care what that Woodchuck said, we still have winter to deal with.
I didn't see one. Then again there's no use for a snow plow here being that it only snows once every eight years on average and only lasts 1 to 4 days.

Looks like it's that time again. I'm calling it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1012669.jpg

Pretty cool Johnny Popper!:cool: Does it have a wide front end or is the picture just a little deceiving? Looks like part of a tire behind the blade. You need to get a heat housing for winter and an umbrella for summer. After all, you want to be comfortable!

Good morning. It's 51° with 100% humidity and dense fog. It'll be cloudy with a fair chance of rain. The high will be 68°.
condmc-1.jpg
cond40.jpg

Today I'll try to get the model# of the new tractor and maybe get a few photos. Later I can look it up online and maybe get a PDF copy of the operating manual so I can read it at my leisure. Knowing my father he's already squirreled away the paper copy and I won't see it again until parts are needed. I leafed through the manual initially to note enough of the operating procedures to figure out the controls and the dos and don't s thereof. Driving it is a lot like the old one but there's still a bit of a learning curve involved. With the Peerless the throttle and drive lever were tied together. On the Murray they're separate. The Peerless had shift on the go forward and reverse and could go directly from forward to reverse. The Murray can't go from forward to reverse without coming to a full stop first. On the Peerless hitting the brake disengaged the throttle and drive. No such luck with the Murray. There's essentially no brake until the drive lever is in neutral and by then it's stopped anyway so there's no point to it unless it's on a hill. Then the brake will keep it from rolling. In the next few days I should be able to experiment with it and figure out a bit more about it. From there I can figure out how to make it do things the know-it-all that wrote the manual says it can't do. Usually they're just going on notes that outline the procedures in black and white without looking at the gray areas in-between. The tractor came with a two year warranty. That wasn't quite good enough. We got a three year warranty with an option to extend it. Well enough about that.

If the weather should decide to preclude any outside activity I can always work on cleaning up the layout or work on a project and make a new mess.

Well last night I finally changed my Photobucket account to the new version. It didn't take long to figure it out and discard most of the things I don't want, like thumbnail IMG tags. I know some had a problem with those. So far the only thing I don't like is they did away with pages and everything is in one long string that reloads when I get to the bottom of the screen. That's a big bother if the photo I want is near the end. Maybe I can look around and possibly find a way around that.

P1012694.jpg

Pretty cool Johnny Popper!:cool: Does it have a wide front end or is the picture just a little deceiving? Looks like part of a tire behind the blade. You need to get a heat housing for winter and an umbrella for summer. After all, you want to be comfortable!

Here she is in her "summer clothes. No heat housings please, with my big feet, I need all the room I can get for mounting and dismounting from this thing. I swear, it was made for a kid to drive! I don't need an umbrella either. I'm not on it long enough to worry about it. With both tractors running (Me & the Mrs.) Were done in under an hour, including trimming! :D
JD40.JPG

I ran a big snowblower for years in a ski resort. Sometimes people would lay out long extension cords across the sidewalk for vehicle engine heaters and battery chargers. Then it snowed two feet or more burying the cords completely. In the early morning I come cruising down the walkway with the snow machine chewing up and spitting out wires on at least a couple occasions. :p

Mike

I ran a big snowblower for years in a ski resort. Sometimes people would lay out long extension cords across the sidewalk for vehicle engine heaters and battery chargers. Then it snowed two feet or more burying the cords completely. In the early morning I come cruising down the walkway with the snow machine chewing up and spitting out wires on at least a couple occasions. :p

Mike

Shocking! :rolleyes:;)

Did they chew on you for eating their cords, or thank you for clearing the sidewalk?

Did they chew on you for eating their cords, or thank you for clearing the sidewalk?
When it was snowing most people were happy. My boss always re-imbursed residents for the occasional small disasters that come with removing tons of snow every year. He understood the value of P/R. ;)

Here she is in her "summer clothes. No heat housings please, with my big feet, I need all the room I can get for mounting and dismounting from this thing. I swear, it was made for a kid to drive! I don't need an umbrella either. I'm not on it long enough to worry about it. With both tractors running (Me & the Mrs.) Were done in under an hour, including trimming! :D

Cool Deere tractor. Long time ago, I had a Cub Cadet with a plow. Never used it. Now, six houses later, I rely on a Craftsman self propelled snow blower which gets used on average, twice a season.

Joe

Took some photos of the new tractor this morning. Here's one of my father sitting on it. He's like 6' 5" so he makes it look smaller than it is. He's tried running it and has already scared himself off of it. See that pole in the background? He got a very good look at it as he just barely kept from hitting it! I wish I'd gotten a photo of the look on his face! It was PRICELESS!

DSCN3124.jpg

For those interested you can see more photos HERE.

Along the lines of snowblowers and plows, my 1988 Ford BroncoII came with the complete instructions on how to attach a snowplow to the front of the truck. What was real interesting was, we lived in Mobile, AL at the time and it only snowed an average of every 14 years down there and a 4" snow was huge! Another thing was, my sister also bought the same model truck as mine, but her's didn't come with the instructions. But what would you expect, my truck also came with the 4WD tranny, but didn't have the front diff for it. The transfer case on the side of the tranny was there, the supports for the extra drive shaft was there, but not the axle. Go fig.

Back