Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Monday, February 4, 2013

anim_coffee.png

TIPTONDEPOT-1.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to all the Raven fans out there.

I had totally forgot that the game was today. Not that it mattered as I'm not a fan of either team. Over the entire history of the Super Bowl, the only ones I've watched were the ones involving the Cowboys or the Saints.

Unless something changes this month, this will be only the second time since 1900 that the Birmingham area hasn't had a low temp all winter of 20`F or lower for two straight years. Last time we had two winters, back to back with no temps of 20 or lower was, IIRC, 1956-1957.

Got two Rivarossi Allegheny's in the mail for repair. One has a bad decoder problem, and the other has some damaged valve gear. Their owner was supposed to call me this weekend but hasn't. It could be due to the game, or other reasons, but there is plenty of time to accomplish this. He's one of our own WCWBrassHat's friends. I'm looking forward to finding and fixing the problems these two brutes have.

My Grandson has spent the weekend with us, since his momma had to work the weekend, and she has to be at work at 0500 this morning, so he has played with his Gop, (thats what he calls me), all weekend. His Gran has to be at work at 0530 herself, so I get to take him to his daycare later on. Since I'm having trouble sleeping tonight, I'm liable to be up all night until he gets to daycare later on. Then maybe I can at least take a nap.

Good Morning!

It's 21° F and sunny at the Jersey Shore. Another dusting of snow is predicted for tonight.

As an expatriate from Baltimore, I'm very happy that the Ravens won the Championship this year,

I'm in for several stress filled days so...........

Everyone have a great day!

Hi Y'all! Yup, the Ravens did it, and the party spilled out into the streets in B-more! As much as I was pleased with the result, there is no way, I mean NO WAY, you would catch me in Baltimore tomorrow when they get home. They are planning a parade from city hall to the stadium tomorrow. That town is gonna be a zoo!:eek: I'll stay out in the sticks, thank you!

Hi Y'all! Yup, the Ravens did it, and the party spilled out into the streets in B-more! As much as I was pleased with the result, there is no way, I mean NO WAY, you would catch me in Baltimore tomorrow when they get home. They are planning a parade from city hall to the stadium tomorrow. That town is gonna be a zoo!:eek: I'll stay out in the sticks, thank you!
My sentiments exactly!

Good morning. It's 49° with 87% humidity. It'll be cloudy with a fair chance of rain. The high will be 68°.
condmc-1.jpg
cond50.jpg

Nothing in particular planned for today. I might be able to get in some uninterrupted layout time today. Then again someday pigs will fly. Yesterday I had time to run a train around the layout a few times after I shut the computer down last night but not much else. By that time I was wiped. Looks like I have some older freight cars and bits and pieces headed my way. I'm also working on picking up a used loco or two. 70's and 80's era stuff. Looks like the projects will be picking up again. Good thing too. I need something to keep my mind off recent events. The more the better. Who am I trying to kid! It's just fantasy project work and I'm trying to bury myself and my feelings in it. I said good-bye to my mother a long time ago when she still knew who I was but it's still hard to take. I miss her so much.

DSCN0238-1.jpg

Love that purple text:D. Thought for a few moments that it would be fun to hop a train down for the parade, then reality sunk in, and I realized that I'm a tad old for this sort of celebration:D. So I will wear my purple, smile, and savor the win while I remain in the land of giants (gnats?):D.

Joe

Who am I trying to kid! It's just fantasy project work and I'm trying to bury myself and my feelings in it. I said good-bye to my mother a long time ago when she still knew who I was but it's still hard to take. I miss her so much.

My mom's been gone for many years, and I still miss her, Jeffrey. Your mom is the one person you will never forget. At least you got to say good-bye while she still knew who you were.

Joe

Oh yes...I remember being flooded with childhood memories. At the time my mother passed away she was living in an assisted-living center, 90% blind from two botched cataract operations and glaucoma. On top of that she would get nasty migraines at least 3-4 times a week. She was deathly afraid she would wind up confined to a bed in a nursing home.

As luck would have it, I called her the day before she died. My 50th birthday was less than a week away, so that dominated our conversation, with lots of laughter and reminiscing. The call ended on an upbeat note. The following morning I got a call from my youngest sister that Mom had had a sudden heart attack, her body was found by the pond in the Center's birdhouse garden. She loved the outdoors, at least her last vision of this world was a pleasant one.

On a happier note:
Hail to the RAVENS, Super Bowl #47 champions!!!:D:D:D

Good morning folks.

I enjoyed watching the Superbowl last night. I elected to watch it at home instead of at the in laws. I have to say, it's the first in a long time that I actually watched the game. It was actually a good football game.

I ordered long shank, Kadee couplers and Proto metal wheels for my Rivarossi passenger cars last night as well. I decided to try 33" wheels for a better look without having to modify anything. Hopefully the new wheels fit in the old trucks.

I'm at the store my myself today so there is plenty of time to do nothing!

Have a good one.

good afternoon, jeffery i know its sad i have been there with my mom in the nursing home,on day they had told me that she kept tripping so i went down sunday & pulled off her socks & low & behold her toenails were sooo long they were unbelievieble.
she was on the list to get them cut, i dont blame the nursing home the Lna's are overworked & i know they couldnt do it .
i ran home got clippers emeryboard& track cutters & we had a little nailcutting session with my railroad hobby tools :) she didnt really know who i was on the surface but deep down she knew, anyways i spent the day cleaning up her nails & talking to her so she could walk if she had to, well the next day we got the call she was going down hill , my sister came in from tucson, and sat with her tuesday all day i showed up, we talked to mom, then when we went to get something to eat she passed..... but at least we got to say our peace :)

It's been a busy day. Went to my fathers place for breakfast this morning. Then brought my great nephew here to see the layout in action. Boy when I turned on the room lights he thought he'd died and gone to heaven! His eyes got almost as big as his face. I showed him how to work the Zephyr and he picked it up real quick. He got to run a long train being pulled by three geeps and a slug then I showed him how to switch them off and put a trio of F units without touching the locos. After running the F units for a while for a while it was time to take him back to his mother. From there I went to town and got a couple of pizzas. I haven't yet had a chance to eat a piece of either one yet. As soon as I got back my father called and said he was coming to pick me up to go look at a new yard tractor. He needed to see how well it fits me before he buys it. Well I stuck the pizzas in the fridge and we went and looked. It's a large Murray-Ohio, 46" cut, 20hp Briggs and Stratton, hydrostatic tranny. With the exception of the parking brake which is set with the left foot, a plus for me, it's all hand controlled. With the left hand advance the drive lever forward or backward for forward and reverse. The further it's pushed the faster the tractor goes. Steering is by steering wheel. I would have nixed steering levers real quick and he knows it. I'm sure I'll have to make a slight modification so it can backed up with the blades engaged. I told him I like it and he bought it on the spot. We loaded it onto his pickup and brought it home and I put it in the shed. It's already been made clear to the others that I'm the primary operator. They'll have to live with the little MTD Yardman. Now why did he get this new one? Well the old Peerless is going away. After 15+ years the engine is still good but the rest of it is pretty much worn out and we can't get the parts we need to fix it any longer. The mowing deck is rusting out and the tranny is singing it's death song. He saw late in the season last year that I was having a hard time with the Yardman. Most of it's controls are set up for the right foot. That doesn't work well for me. Driving it in forward was hard enough, reverse was extremely difficult. This new one has the physical size and weight of the old Peerless so adjusting to it is no problem. Well enough about that. I now have some time to myself and I hear a pizza calling from the fridge.

Running Bear, I have a new tractor, and disabling the back up with the blades thing was as simple as unplugging the sensor next to the ignition switch. Took longer to find the sensor than to unplug it.

It's been a busy day and I'm wiped. Ran some trains for my great nephew today. He used my Digitrax Zephyr to change out motive power from a lashup of geeps and a slug to a trio of F units with minimal coaching from me. Well, time to pack it in. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011338.jpg

Finished moving my son and daughter-in-law into their new home today. The weather is going to take a little getting used to, it's a lot colder here than in Texas and this has been a VERY mild winter for us with hardly any snow and not a lot in the way of cold temperatures. It hasn't been quite as warm this winter as last but it's still been pretty good. It's still hard to believe that they are finally back in Illinois again. Just a little over an hour's drive instead of 10-11 hours!!!:):):)

. It's a large Murray-Ohio, 46" cut, 20hp Briggs and Stratton, hydrostatic tranny. With the exception of the parking brake which is set with the left foot, a plus for me, it's all hand controlled. With the left hand advance the drive lever forward or backward for forward and reverse. The further it's pushed the faster the tractor goes. Steering is by steering wheel. I would have nixed steering levers real quick and he knows it..

Sounds like its laid out just like my old Cub Crapette, cept it never had to have anything unplugged to mow in reverse....they didnt think of that stuff in 1967!!;):rolleyes::D

Good morning. It's 56° with 100% humidity and patchy fog. It'll be cloudy with a high of 72°.
condmc-1.jpg

Not sure what I'll be doing today. Depending on how I feel later I'll either do some work on the layout or go down and put the new tractor to work on it's first task, pulling the old Peerless tractor around to the back of the machine shop where it can be loaded for it's last ride, an all expense paid trip to Metal Mountain. Other than that I'll taking it easy today. The last week has been very busy for me and I've been pushing myself too hard and it's been having a telling effect on me. The relatives are headed back home today. I know my father will be happy about that. To him visiting relatives and old fish are pretty much the same. After a while they both begin to smell. No doubt he'll be very happy not to watch every step to make sure he won't be stepping on some toy. The last couple days getting across the great room has been like navigating a mine field.

P1011345.jpg

Well I decided I'd use the new tractor to move the old one to the back side of the machine shop. So I used a length of heavy electrical cable to hook them up back to back with the intention to pull the old one backward. I made sure the brake on the Peerless was off and the tranny was in neutral then then commenced to pulling it. The rear wheels of the old tractor skidded the whole way. The tranny was locked up! I got it to the other side of the machine shop but it was a fight. If I had tried that with the little MTD Yardman it would have just sat there spinning. It has the power but not the weight for that kind of work. Then I went to town to get some prescriptions refilled and get twenty pairs of new socks. I also picked up two cans of starting fluid for the van.

Back