Coffee Shop 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris I'm on a weight control type diet as well. Got approx. 60lbs to go on my exercise/diet thing---at one time I weighed around 330lbs!!:eek::eek: Now I'm down to 250lbs--:eek::rolleyes:

Well--we are going to get a bit of rain tonight and tomorrow--but then we's got told that tomorrow we's be getting that dang white stuff tomorrow evening---:mad::confused::eek::eek::mad::confused:

Chris I'm on a weight control type diet as well. Got approx. 60lbs to go on my exercise/diet thing---at one time I weighed around 330lbs!!:eek::eek: Now I'm down to 250lbs--:eek::rolleyes:

Well--we are going to get a bit of rain tonight and tomorrow--but then we's got told that tomorrow we's be getting that dang white stuff tomorrow evening---:mad::confused::eek::eek::mad::confused:

My ideal weight to the experts:rolleyes: is 160#,was 260, now i'm 230#= I got a long way to go:rolleyes::eek:

I got up to the eyeballs with two sets of Merchants Rows that will become the mainstays of the built up atrium---Honestly Jim it will get done--it's just not coming together FAST ENOUGH!!:eek::eek::rolleyes::D:D

Have a good night all---:D:D:p

Afternoon all.

I got the bench work for my layout done today. next week I will go and get the plywood sheets for it and we can go from there.

I'm going to use cardboard/chicken wire mesh to form the scenery, since it's going to be fairly flat. The plan (#6 in 102 track plans mag, also published in MR 2001) is designed as a north east/eastern location with tunnels at each end disguising the entry and exit point, however since mine is going to be a typical town serviced by BNSF and UP I will disguise one end with a highway overpass and the other with a ridge/cutting.

Yesterday I picked up some freight cars from the (dedicated) train store on the other side of town. I got a Red Caboose UP center beam flat and a Intermountain Trinity covered hopper for Minnesota soy, I also got 2 Athearn 57' Mechanical reefers, one painted for UP and one for SOO, and a Athearn UP boxcar, these are the factory weathered ones, which is pretty nice. The Red Caboose and Intermountain cars are NICE! I think I will quit buying Atlas trainman freight cars now, and buy Athearn, Red Caboose, Intermountain and Micro-trains cars. They are worth the extra few bucks over a trainman freight car, in particular the Intermountain ones. I will add some pictures soon.

Our PM is giving each person who earns under 100k a year $900 to stimulate the economy, It should arrive in the next two weeks via direct deposit. I will spending a large portion of this money on MR stuff. probably a couple of locos and some (alot) of freight cars. :D

I'm heading back down stairs to take some photos of the benchwork and the stuff i've picked up in the last week.

James

sooreefer.jpg

bnsf2527.jpg

more in wpf thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning pipples--It is currently Dull and showery this morn, have a showery day with a chance of T'storms this afternoon with the temperature dropping to 2C. We'll then get snowflurries---YEECH!:eek::(

James Nice catch! Was the SOO line box weathered? Or is that a different colour applied on the bottom edge? My ol' eyeballs must be playing tricks this morning---

Well, I'll be heading to the trainroom and start redoing the DPM's again----oh, of course AFTER thehoney do list gets done:rolleyes:

Good morning.

It's 41 and clear. The high will be around 67 and it will be partly cloudy.

Didn't get much done on the layout yesterday due to neck and upper back pain most of the day. I finally got a few small things taken care of. Hope to do more today. One thing I'm thinking about doing is tearing down pedestrian bridge and using part of the stairway for the outside stairs to Ezra's digs over the gas station. I'sure I can make use of parts of it elsewhere. It looks good but at the end of the day it just gets in the way. I have a barbecue to attend this afternoon at my niece's home. Think I'm going to miss that? Not on your life! I couldn't miss it even if I wanted to. She'd carry me over there hog-tied if need be! This is one of those 'neighborhood events' where any and all in the neighborhood can attend, and I'm sure there will be plenty of folks there.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/29/2009

Wind Chill: 39°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 36°F

So Far Today
High: 48°F
Low: 39°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 21mph NNE

Today High: 68 Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 45 Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN0025.jpg

Good morning!

"Flo, Just a pot of decaf coffee and BOC is buying;)!"

Well we got our rain:eek:! we must of got 1/2" of the wet stuff:) you can here my lawn say, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ya!" the weather man says it should clear up and be nice day! Might go for a nice bike ride:confused: something like that!

We did not get the storms predicted thankfully, just normal thunderstorms.

I need to lose weight too, but I need to quit smoking first. That has been a real struggle and with cigarettes just keep going up in price, the desire to quit gets stronger. I went cold turkey two weeks ago, lasted 5 days and gave in. I have to get back on the wagon this week, I want to spend money on my railroad, not nicotine.

I invested in my DCC system for the next several years yesterday. After deciding on an NCE PowerCab, I found out no one carried it locally. So I went to the other choice, a Zephyr, it was close between the two anyway and I wanted to buy the system locally.

James, sounds like you work for a good company. My company is doing its part in the economy by taking away merit increases, delaying bonuses, and laying off. This after the best year the company has ever had financially. And they wonder why they lose good people during a good job market and have a generally unhappy unmotivated work force.

TaeOH: Good luck on kicking the habit. I kicked it 15 years ago, cold turkey after smoking for 23 years. I just put them down and didn't pick them up again. If I found myself wanting one I found something else to keep me busy, work on the layout, do yard work, anything. After two weeks I didn't want them anymore. Good choice on the Zephyr. That's what I have and I have no regrets.

I never thought of fiddling with trains as a replacement. That could work, N scale can certainly keep your hands busy.

Just the price for a pack of sigs or carton, is most peoples MRR budgets! I don't smoke but was a beer drinking nut! a 12 pack of my favorite beer is $12, twice a week! the money I save not drinking is a lot in my book! and with my diet...the money I save on not buying junk food.......Now why am I still broke? LOL's

Afternoon, everyone.

I feel for all you going through the weight loss thing. I've been lucky. I once was up to 230 pounds and looked like Jabba the Hut! :) I went on an 1800 calorie diet and it kind of changed my eating habits permanently. That was about 10 years ago and I've managed to keep my weight down to 180. I'm a little over 5'8" and really should be at 170 but I like to think my extra 10 pounds is muscle. :rolleyes:

Now nicotine is another matter. It has been the bane of my life. I've never tried any other drugs because, if there's one out there I like as well as nicotine, I'd be in the gutter in a week. :eek: I quit while I was dieting 10 years ago and stayed off it for five years but those things kept taunting me until I just had to have one. With me, just one isn't an option. My wife is on a diet and I have a contract with her that, when she reaches her target weight, I quit smoking. I'll let you know in advance so you don't start pissing me off when I get grumpy. :D Tom, maybe we can both pick a quit date together and goad ourselves into sticking with it.

The cold front that I was really afraid of in terms of kicking up some bad storms passed through without even a cloud. All the upper air support just petered out this far south, not that I'm complaining. We've gotten over eight inches this month with no tornados or serious flooding, which is about as good as it gets in Alabama in the spring. It's sunny and a little cooler today but still 69 degrees. Everything is a green as the hills of Ireland.

Ah, yes...Nicotine. I knew it well! That is, until I banned it permanently from my life in June 1984. First 2 weeks were somewhat unpleasant, but after that I felt alot better and I've never looked back. I hope you guys can get off it too, it really will free up some money for more trains!:D

Jim I'm glad those monster storms never hit your region, yet you've still had 8 inches of precip. I bet your banana tree will be happy about that!

I've just about finished my SD38-2 article for Fugate, all that remains is I need to put the model on a Lazy Susan and take ~24 shots of it at different angles covering a full 360*. These images will be stitched together to make a virtual-reality 'spinnable' photo. I spent almost my entire weekend working on this thing, except Saturday around noon when I attended a meeting of the club Karl belongs to. Great bunch of people, I decided to join. Of course it may be a while before I get around to building a module...

Well I gotta run, time for me to go pickup Grandma and bring her over for Sunday supper.

Hiya folks!
Cool drizzle has given way to bright sun, now thunderstorms! Oh Boy!:rolleyes:
Flo, Can I have a nice juicy steak, baked potato and some apple fritters with a diet coke! Dont worry whose card to use, I have a little scratch!:cool:
Jim & Tom. Thanks for reminding me, yes I too have to put down the nicotine sticks too. But life has been too nerve wracking. First the divorce, then the diabetes diagnosis. Then I almost quit when I met my current wife, but 8 months after we married she was diagnosed with breast cancer. After she beat that then the bottom fell out of the automotive field and I have been idle since Christmas. The only thing that helped healthwise was dropping from 285 pounds down to 190, finally stabilizing at about 200. I'd like to set a date with you guys, but I've already promised to quit as soon as I get working again.:)
Chris, I was a 5th of Jim Beam a week guy until I met my wife. Havn't had a drop in 6 years, and really don't miss it. But I too, don't know where the savings went! :)
Ken, Can't wait to see the article online and spin the loco on the 360 degree thingy! Again, welcome aboard the FCSME. Remember I've got a spare 4 ft module frame in the garage. You are welcome to it if you want it!:D
"Do not resist the force young Skywalker, let it flow through you!!" :rolleyes:

Gotta run peeps, got much preparing to do for next weekend!!:eek:

Afternoon. Hope you all had a great weekend. I just walked in from a trip to Milwaukee. I will be happy not to see another car for at least a week.

Karl and Jim, if you are serious about quitting, I highly recommend this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616

While my success is still not certain since I seem to fall into the "just one more" trap, I used to drive myself (and my wife) nuts in pass attempts to quit. After reading this, it really is pretty easy to go cold turkey, my problem now is giving into the I can have just one thoughts. I have one, I am usually back to a pack a day inside of a week.

This book does a nice job of drawing a correct view of smoking in my opinion. One that it sounds like Jim is well aware of, smoking is not enjoyable without the nicotine, so this is solely a matter of drug addiction and not just because "I like to smoke".

Good evenin'. I just got rid of a whole bunch of junk from the home office and basement and I even managed to find a couple more of the DPM kits that went MIA on me---

Jim,Ken and Karl Little ol' moi had a 2pk/day habit something like 20years ago when I met Audrey. I quit for her. Aside from that the chief reason I had was my father's health was getting to me. Just a dry hack would come out everytime he caught a cold--and he caught a lot of 'em. I'm almost convinced that one really needs a reason to quit--your Health. Oh, that and more money in the pocket for MRR stuff--don't even think saving it--:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

I smoked for 20 years. I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day. Gave it up one day for my daughter. She was 8 and she didn't want daddy to die. That did it for me. That was 10 years ago. I tried to have one a few years ago. It was a bad day and it just sounded good. I took a couple drags and it tasted so bad I snuffed it out and never looked back. So how much is a pack of smokes these days? It was around $2.50 -$2.75 when I quit.

I smoked for 20 years. I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day. Gave it up one day for my daughter. She was 8 and she didn't want daddy to die. That did it for me. That was 10 years ago. I tried to have one a few years ago. It was a bad day and it just sounded good. I took a couple drags and it tasted so bad I snuffed it out and never looked back. So how much is a pack of smokes these days? It was around $2.50 -$2.75 when I quit.

20 years of smokin cost ya in the hood of $7,000+/-:eek: that would be the startings of a sweet layout:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back