Coffee Shop 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Sandy, I saw some video of the whiteout in Denver. I'm glad you think it's fun. Yuck! Unfortunately for us, your storm is racing across the plains and will hit use early Saturday morning. This is the one I'm really worried about. It will have all the dynamics to set off a real tornado outbreak. Probably won't get much sleep tomorrow night either. "...a pot of curried lentil stew and have a cup of Sleepytime tea steeping." Are you sure you don't live in Boulder? "

Jim...I bathe on a regular basis...I only own one pair of Birkenstocks...I don't have a 'Torture Bush and Kill Cheney' (they do actually have those) bumper sticker on my car...and I am not a Vegan, so nope, I don't qualify for residency in The People's Republic of Boulder! :p I do, however, LOVE my Sleepytime tea and am seriously thinking about becoming a vegetarian. :rolleyes:

The snow is absolutely lovely. Of course, I don't have to go anywhere in it, so I can truly enjoy it!~ I hope it lessens in intensity as it heads south. Maybe you won't have to get out your kitty-picker-upper! :eek:

I have my trailer set up so the electrical lines, the trailer exterior and the sheet steel on the overroof are grounded to the trailer frame then directly to ground. Since 1995 the trailer has been hit several times. I've had no damage from the strikes as the energy is all channeled to the ground like an inverted Faraday cage. I also have a 'whole house' surge protector as well surge protector strips for sensitive electronics.

I looked at getting lightning protection installed, but it was very hard getting company recommendations in my area. It is not common. One contractor looked at me like I was over reacting, that the odds of getting hit again were really slim. So I dropped it. But every time a big storm comes through, we worry, so for piece of mind I might have to start researching again.

Hi all!
Just got back from picking up the car. The repair bill for replacing the two window lifts wasn't too bad. I thought it would be around +$800 but it was $615 (I think they felt sorry for me :rolleyes:)
We got another inch of rain last night and they are predicting another 2-4 inches overnight and tomorrow.:eek: Guess their original forecast of 5-8 was in the ball park.

Jim: I'm with you: I don't know what my IQ is today, but I get by. It always cracks me up when so many try to assume brain power with a high number IQ when the test is only relative to the type test of the many used by ratio or deviance, the mean value used, and those that tested with that methodology. Einstein never tested, but his IQ was estimated at 160-180 using the older ratio methodology. This can show you the huge differences in values that some of the more modern methods come up with.

TaeOh: One easy, inexpensive thing you can do that will help protect your home's electrical is to install more ground rods and separated at your meter box. Ask a good electrician. (Of course this doesn't prevent a direct lightning hit and nothing will ;) )

Chris: If I may suggest, go with bacon and eggs for breakfast and take a cholestrol pill. Cereals are for wimps!

Sandy: I once had a job interview for a company in Boulder...then I found out the cost of living. Where the salary was excellent for here, we would have to apply for public housing there:eek:.

James: the beginning is always exciting. I remember going non-stop all day for days at a time. Great fun!

:):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex...Boulder is breathtakingly beautiful. Sitting at the base of the Flatirons with the Rockies just beyond...it is awesome. Somehow, however, it has become a bastion of liberal thought. (Boy...is that an oxymoron!) :D I suppose the U of CO has a lot to do with that. It seems to draw in the Ward Churchill's of the world.

And it is outrageously expensive. But there are so many things to do. One of my borhters graduated from CU and I used to drive up and hang out in Boulder now and again. It truly is a beautiful town.

Afternoon, everyone.

Phew, Sandy, you had me worried there with that lentil stew. :) My son went to CU and lived there for nine years after he graduated. He was slowly brainwashed and now there are some things we just don't talk about. I don't know why it is that some places of great beauty, like Boulder and San Francisco, seem to be populated by a greater proportion of nut cases than other places in the country. I'm sure the snow is beautiful - as long you only have to look at through a window. The hard part is going to be finding where your car is buried.

Rex, sounds like you got off reasonably cheap with the window repairs. I'd still like to get the GM engineer that designed those lifts and pop him one. You'd think GM would be profitable from just selling replacement parts. :mad: We got tons of rain here last night, with two inches by this morning. That makes four inches in the last three days and the ground is completely saturated. I'm glad I live up on a hill since it looks like another couple of inches is on the way.

Tom, our house got struck by lightning when I was a kid. Scared the living crap out of me. It is fairly rare for a wood structure to get hit by lightning but it does happen. Doing the grounding things Rex talked about will help in a near miss but there's no grounding system that will survive a direct hit. Having your house hit again by lightning is about the same odds as winning the state lottery twice in a row, if that's any consolation.

Yeah, where is Bill? Haven't seen him for while. Probably afraid Chris will stick him with the check. :p

Phillip, you sound a little more like your usual self so I guess things at work must be slacking off a bit. Remember the idea the God doesn't give you more than you can handle...or at least that's the theory.

Jeffrey, I guess one of the advantages of an all metal house is that you can use the Faraday cage principle to ground it pretty effectively. Now, we can just hope those tornados stay away. I never had a problem with my satellite in bad weather either although heavy snow did cause problems when I was living in my RV. That and the wind. Satellite dishes really don't like to rock back and forth. :rolleyes:

Corey, I like your book versus movie analogy. Building a layout really is like reading a long book. I used to help my late wife in her florist shop at prom time. If you think the kids and moms get hysterical about tuxes, you should have seen them when it came to corsages. :eek:

Tom, you make me so glad I don't do project management any longer.

James, good to see you again and hear you're still making progress on the layout.

Chris, you really don't have to worry about bananas. They are harmless. I have it on good authority, from guys that fly black helicopters, that those raisins in cereal can read your thoughts and transmit them back to that secret base. You should take Rex's advice and stick to bacon and eggs. The government hasn't figured out a way to turn those against you yet. :D

Actually seeing some sun here now but that won't last for long. Another low pressure wave is forming along this morning's old frontal boundary and we should start getting some storms from that around midnight. It should storm most of the night and then give us a break until maybe noon, when that giant low pressure system that was causing the blizzard for Sandy races through here. It should come through just at the peak heating hours, which is not what I want to see happen. Jeffrey, it looks like a pretty good line of storms is already forming up in your neck of the woods. We had one small tornado north of us early this morning but I fear tomorrow will be the real deal. :(

Good evening--My internet dropped out of sight on me last night because some-----------, --------ing idiot just had to dig up buried cable along with phoneline service when they were doing a trench to lay in brick foundation for the townhouse complex behind us. :mad::mad::mad: They had all the buried cablework properly marked but they didn't-------care. 'Too inconvenient' this idiot said---I was like to have mangled his fool neck more because he also knocked out landline service---grumble grouch:mad::mad:---didn't even get on internet until now:mad:--

Anyhooo--my spleen has been vented:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Glad to see everyone made it through storms so far:D:D;)

Jeff and all doing 'pooter thing I now have 3 clients for my fledgling IT business:)--even started mucking about with comp animation stuff for somebody---nuthin' like gettin' up to the neck in it--innit?:D:D:D

Phillip, you sound a little more like your usual self so I guess things at work must be slacking off a bit. Remember the idea the God doesn't give you more than you can handle...or at least that's the theory.

I'm not sure, but I think He just might have a little more confidence in me then I have!

That was a ROUGH week!

. Somehow, however, it has become a bastion of liberal thought. (Boy...is that an oxymoron!) :D I suppose the U of CO has a lot to do with that.

Sandy, funny you should mention that. My nephew graduated from there 2 years ago. He comes from Democrat parents (my neice even has the "hillary cut") so much so that my political discussions with my sister have been compared to a Limbaugh vs Pellosi cage fight. Anywho this young man graduated, moved back, spent 2 weeks with his parents, got a job, moved out and is doing well for himself. His older sister is still waiting for a career to drop from heaven while she continues her post graduate career at 26.

I don't know what happened out in Colorado, but ya gotta love that boy!:)
And yes, the scenery is pretty awesome out there!

Evening, everyone.

Well, model railroading sure doesn't seem to very important after reading the news that Ken (D&J Railroad) posted in the Layouts section. His first wife died in 2001 and he remarried in 2002. His wife has been having some cardiac problems but it sounded like they had them under control. He came home Monday and found her dead. :( Having lost one wife, I can't even imagine the pain of losing my second love. If you have the chance, it would be nice if everyone posted a sympathy message to him. I'm sure he'd appreciate it as he must be going through some pretty horrible and lonely times about now.

I cannot imagine losing my wife, much less have it happen twice in my lifetime. I am truly saddened to hear about this and don't know what to say in the thread. Maybe tomorrow.

Evening, everyone.

Well, model railroading sure doesn't seem to very important after reading the news that Ken (D&J Railroad) posted in the Layouts section. His first wife died in 2001 and he remarried in 2002. His wife has been having some cardiac problems but it sounded like they had them under control. He came home Monday and found her dead. :( Having lost one wife, I can't even imagine the pain of losing my second love. If you have the chance, it would be nice if everyone posted a sympathy message to him. I'm sure he'd appreciate it as he must be going through some pretty horrible and lonely times about now.

Truely sad news:(.....I'll keep Ken in our prayers!

" Flo, I'll have two eggs over easy and two strips of bacon and cup of decaf. coffee." and Put that on Philip's Tab":D

Well made it through another work week:eek:, the ball season is starting get on my nerves like it usualy does:rolleyes:. I started a new diet and work out program 7 weeks ago:eek: Cause I'm tired of looking like Mr. potato head!:mad: I'm happy to say I went from 260# to now 230#:eek::eek: I'm very pleased with the results:) My wife is besides herself with the progress that i'm making. My weight loss should be better as I cut out my morning killer cereal. My diet is tough(1000-1200Cal.) and the workout program is even tougher(3 days of weight training and 2 days of 2hrs. of cycling or walking or running or swimming):eek: I got plenty of fat pic's of me:eek::eek: If I keep this up I should look 100% better a year from now!LOL's:D:) My goal weight is 160#-170#!!:eek:

Well, got to go I got to get the mower ready to mow a couple of yard's and do some home repair.......and try to get a bike ride in before evening:rolleyes::);)

Good morning everyone -

Flo, if you could whip up a Western Omelet for me with a tall OJ I'll be a happy camper...

Jim - that is tragic news about D&J Ken's 2nd wife!:eek::( I've got him in my prayers. My stepmother went thru a similar experience, her 1st husband died in late 1972 and then my dad died unexpectedly in 1975. #3 lasted 30 years until December 2007.

BOC - good luck with your 'putor support business, looks like its off to a good start!

Chris - if you really want to speed-up the weight loss, try doing your mowing jobs with an old-style push mower instead of a ZTR tractor

Karl - I'll see you in Mt Airy at noon.

I've had my nose buried in this article I'm writing for Fugate, about 80% of the way thru it and anxious to get it done. Writing sure does take away a lot of my modeling time, but hey - I desperately need the spare change ;)

Yall hava good'un!

Good morning.

It's 43 and cloudy. The high will be 60 and it will clear off to partly cloudy.

Nothing much done on the layout yesterday as I was occupied doing a backup on my computer. A DVD can only hold so much and I went through quite a few of them. I'm really not sure what I'll be doing today. I got a really interesting phone call yesterday from a guy who said he was with the IRS and had to discuss something with me about the amount of reportable income on the tax return I filed this year. I knew this guy was a scammer right from the start but decided to play his game up to a point. Apparently he had questions about how much I earned each month and needed to check it against my bank account activity. Of course for this he would need the number of the account in question. This was all very amusing and I was trying my best not to burst out laughing. You see, I had no reportable income last year and there was none listed on my income tax info, all that was listed was simply a 'not required to report' since my income was below the amount that can be reported. He tried the old 'if you don't tell me what I want to know I'll sieze your account' routine, (an account he didn't have a number for in the first place, otherwise why would he be trying to get it) at which point I hung up on him. There was no phone number data on the caller id entry so I have to assume he was using a caller id blocker. If he calls back (He's a fool if he does) I will be recording the conversation. I'm just wondering how he got my number. Only a handful of people know it, mostly fellow modelers. The main thing that tipped me off that he was a fake early on was when he said he was looking at my return and noted I was living in the New Orleans area. The only thing I have that's from that area is my phone number area code. I'm on the other side of the state and a heck of a lot farther inland. Texas is only 18 miles away. Boy, some of these scammers are D-U-M-B!

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/28/2009

Wind Chill: 35°F
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 30°F

So Far Today
High: 55°F
Low: 43°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 34mph NW

Today High: 60 Mostly sunny. Cooler. Highs around 60. West winds 15 to 20 mph.

Tonight Low: 38 Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN0947.jpg

Good Morning pipples

Got sun, got some wind and it is kinda nippy but it's supposed to go up to 11C.:):)

Jeff --LMAO!! My dad did this trick on some telemarket scam guy where he strung this guy along for about three weeks and then let him talk to a friend who played the role of my dad's lawyer!:p:D:D

Ken We's be doin' what we can down here!!:p:D

Jim I sent D&J a note--if you can send our condolences to him as well. I'm still trying to figure some of those things out--I hope he got our message.:(

Well got a bit of yard stuff to do before the next little bit of rain falls---have a good'n:)

Afternoon, everyone.

Got a note from Ken. He's hurting, as you might expect, but has a strong belief in God and a church family that's supporting him. He posted a picture of Wendy in the Layouts section. She was a beautiful woman and only 53. :( As I wrote to Phillip, God doesn't give us more than we can bear but sometimes we have to bear an awful lot.

Chris, good for you. Losing that weight will help you stay with us longer. Now I know why all that food has been taunting you. :)

Ken, that must have awfully tough for your stepmother too. I hope your article comes out well.

Jeffrey, in my experiences with the IRS, the first communication is an official document in the mail threatening you. :eek: I guess it's the right time of year for that scam again. It's likely thay got your number at random by just using an automated dialer that starts with area code, prefix, and then goes though all the possible number combinations.

BOC, I'm sure Ken got your note and I have expressed my own and the group's condolences to him. From my experience, that second week, when everyone's gone and you're all alone is the hardest so try to remember to drop him a quick PM.

Had some good storms last night and another inch of rain, There were a lot of trees down in the area but no tornados that I've heard of. It's still warm here but there was so much convection along the Gulf Coast last night that it looks like it has cut off all the low level support for any more severe storms as the cold front comes through later this evening. I sure hope so because I need some sleep after being up most of the past three nights watching these storms.

Jeffrey, in my experiences with the IRS, the first communication is an official document in the mail threatening you. :eek: I guess it's the right time of year for that scam again. It's likely thay got your number at random by just using an automated dialer that starts with area code, prefix, and then goes though all the possible number combinations.
Earlier today my sister was telling me that they've gotten the emailed scam warnings where works and that this one was one of those listed.

Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, good for you. Losing that weight will help you stay with us longer. Now I know why all that food has been taunting you. :)

Hardest thing is watching what you eat!:( So many food are a no-no now:eek: 1800 cal. is not a lot of food either:( Just going from eating like a hog to eating like bird is a itch:rolleyes: and still maintain a active life style:eek: "Eat to live" not "Live to eat!" We just got home from wally world doing the grocery shopping and just walking by the no-no's is tough!
also Went to Tractor Supply Co. and got some new Justin work boots!:)

Got some much need rain comming:D I hope it's a lot!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back