Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Good late morning from the Coarsegold foothills,

Not too much going on here either with MRR'ing.

I've had a darn defective turn signal switch which needs to be replaced on my Eclipse and will try and get it done today as it seems simple enough. remove the steering column covers and un do three or four screws and unplug the old unit and plug in the new one. At least I hope it's that simple, I think it should be?

Say Ken, Glad to hear the positive news about Vicky's Mom.

Say Jeff, I'm also glad to know your Mom is doing Ok too.

Take care guys, talk with you all later.

Had a bit of a concern this morning. It was time to change the dressing on for lack of a better name my foot when I noticed it was bleeding more than usual. In fact it was bleeding like a stuck pig. Those of a squeamish disposition will want to stop reading now. All others continue at your own risk! Your sanity may be in question or you may discover a masochistic tendency you didn't know you had. You've been warned. A quick examination revealed a bit of bone sticking out of the wound. I cleaned a pair of needle nose pliers in alcohol and went in after it. A bit turned into a piece of shattered curved bone an inch long and almost half an inch wide. Got it out of there and cleaned up the site then bandaged it up. It stopped bleeding fairly quickly so there doesn't seem to be anything else cutting up in there. If it starts up again I'll get it checked out. Looks like I'll have to limit my activity for a while. Those of a squeamish disposition may continue reading at this point. Went down to my parents place to have lunch with my father. I had to turn down a trip to the nursing home due to the aforementioned problem. I'm definitely not up to any long walks and anything over fifty feet for me is long. I'll be down there again this evening for dinner. I had just a little bit of train related work to do. A tank car turned up with a locked wheelset. Somehow a bit of ballast got wedged between a tread and the cast in brake shoe on the truck. It was quickly popped out with a small screwdriver.

Ouch Jeffrey! I'm going down to the local MRR club H.Q. later on to see if anyone shows up tonight. They have a giant landscaped HO layout with digitrax DCC. They get together on a couple thursdays a month......not sure which ones though.

Mike

Good Evening..

Audrey and I are seriously looking at the solar panel idea for our place now....heeheehee

We had a lovely day today...all of 84F feeling like 95F ....nice and muggy...

Going to be a rainy kind of day tomorrow supposedly...high? ... 68F?

Anyhow...got some things to finish off here then off to...g'night!!

Time for me to call it a night. Had dinner with my father tonight. We got quite a bit of rain, don't know how much yet. Wind is SW at 4 mph gusting to 21. I have to be at my parents place in the morning to meet the repairman for the a/c unit. Condenser coil needs to be replaced. See y'all tomorrow.

P4230172.jpg

NS Heritage units

I've just got the latest (to my local magazine shop) issue of Kalmbach's TRAINS Mag.

I've always wondered why, with all the colors that are available to paint locos, why NS chose nondescript black. Now I see why, with 20 fallen flag schemes to deal with, it was the only color left that wouldn't tread on someone's toes :confused::rolleyes::eek: Now I mght be tempted to include a couple. And they call UP the "Ultimate Predator".

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

Today is Friday, September 14, 2012.

coffee-pouring111.png

Richmond__PRR_bridge.png

Pennsylvania RR bridge in Richmond IN built 1902-03.

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN

I've just got the latest (to my local magazine shop) issue of Kalmbach's TRAINS Mag.

I've always wondered why, with all the colors that are available to paint locos, why NS chose nondescript black. Now I see why, with 20 fallen flag schemes to deal with, it was the only color left that wouldn't tread on someone's toes :confused::rolleyes::eek: Now I mght be tempted to include a couple. And they call UP the "Ultimate Predator".
Black can be a striking color.....but in the sun it absorbs huge amounts of heat....which is not convenient if it's a car seat....or a machine you are trying to keep cool. Then if it's wintertime or if you're trying to build a solar heater.....black could be useful.

Mike

Well after two years not working I had a new job in a candle factory for two weeks....but had to make the unfortunate decision to quit a few days ago due to my aging arthritic lower back not handling the conditions. Bummer dude! :eek::rolleyes:

I'm tempted to run ads in local papers looking for someone with a building or a large empty home they'd like to have watched by a reliable live-in security guard....which would be me. Then I could set up my train layout in there and get back to important stuff. :cool::)

Morning Everyone. Well this week-end and next week-end promise to be VERY exciting for railfans in the Birmingham Alabama area. Yesterday, Southern Railway 2-8-0 # 630 from The Tennessee Valley Railway Museum,arrived in town for this week-end and next week-end. This week-end's trips are for employees of Norfolk Southern,and next week-end's excursions are for the public. So needless to say,there will be many pictures taken this week-end.:cool:. I already have my camera ready to go,as well my scanner. William.

Morning Everyone. Well this week-end and next week-end promise to be VERY exciting for railfans in the Birmingham Alabama area. Yesterday, Southern Railway 2-8-0 # 630 from The Tennessee Valley Railway Museum,arrived in town for this week-end and next week-end. This week-end's trips are for employees of Norfolk Southern,and next week-end's excursions are for the public. So needless to say,there will be many pictures taken this week-end.:cool:. I already have my camera ready to go,as well my scanner. William.

Are you using film, or have you gone digital?

Good Morning

Gonna be a dull rainy day today...high of 70F expected....

mmmmm...that reminds me...fall cleaning project number 34...remember to go after all the cobwebs behind my effect racks....eeeeewwwwwwwww.....:eek::eek:

That's a great looking scene, Jeff. What's the building with the 3 vent stacks?
Model Power's American Foundry Company. It's also offered as a dual loco shed, a machine shop and several other structures with slight alterations.

Good morning. It's 70° and mostly cloudy with a fair chance of rain. The high will be 88°.
cond040-1.jpg

I'm at my parents house this morning waiting on the a/c repair guy to show up. He's supposed to replace a condenser coil on the system in the east wing. I'm on the far side of the house in the west wing where the a/c is working beautifully. He's supposed to know what door to come to. Looks like the weather is going to be wet and rainy today so no outdoor projects for me. Later I may get some work in on the layout. Depends on how I feel then. If it's how I feel now I may just go back to bed. The dizziness has returned and my ears are ringing. Hopefully it clears up. No more trouble with the Athearn tank car yesterday. The GP9F's got a good run.

P4170132.jpg

Morning all.....

You never realize how much space you take up until you empty it...LOL I have everything down to 2 cabinets and 1 table, and 14 boxes so far....Still have to pack up the flex track and some of the cork yet. I was able to get a lot of the used cork back into the original box with the new cork I still had that was unused. I'll just need to make sure I use the old first.

When it comes time to re-lay the roadbed, I have had great success using a pocket steamer to soften the cork back out for recontouring. A pocket steamer is what you would use at a hotel to get the wrinkles out of a suit or shirt in order to wear.

Well the a/c repairman came while I was putting together my morning post. He replaced the condenser coil and did a couple of other things my father wanted done. Total was $1400. Glad that's not my house. I took a look at the electric bill one day. My bank account screamed and fainted! The repairman left shortly before 10:30 so I returned home. Turned on my computer when I got here and discovered I had no internet service. A quick call to Suddenlink on my cell phone revealed that there was an outage in the area and that it would be corrected soon. Internet service was restored about 11:30. Had to change the dressing on my foot as I was leaving a trail. I feel better than I did earlier so that's a plus. I may get a little layout work in later. There's always something that needs to be done.

Good Evening...

A nice wet day was had by us up here..it is all sunny and a lot warmer now than it was earlier..

Been a quiet day as well...picked up a few things from Lee Valley tools and had a rather nice lunch at a diner near here...then started work on another elevator..this one may end up being a center piece to the blob at the end of the peninsula....:eek:

Back