Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Good morning. It's 65°, partly cloudy with a small chance of rain. High of 88°, wind SW at 5 to 10 mph.
cond20-1.jpg

Not feeling good this morning but what else is new. Plan for today is to stay inside and catch up on my movie watching. Layoutwise there are no new projects to work on so I see no reason to mess with it. If I feel better later I might get some scenery materials out, at least what little I have and see what I can do. I have some trees on the layout that the foliage has rotted away, they need some attention. Humidity here is murder on scenery.

DSCN1049.jpg

Good Morning

Wherein we can has one of those days of heat some haze and a bit of humidity for our viewing pleasure. Supposed to go to 82F for the high feeling like 88F today....

today will be our BBQ day as well as relaxing from a day of doctor appointments and various other things...my CT scan is scheduled for next month....:eek::rolleyes:

MMMmm BBQ sounds good Barry! 82.9* degrees and sunny here. Going to see about school bus driving job today as the factory job I started two weeks ago has inflamed my lower discs again. I have a commercial and school bus drivers license.

Mike

David,

Sorry to hear your Mom had to go thru all that!

If Vicky and her sister had their druthers, she could go straight back to my SIL's house and be visited there by a physical therapist. But home health visits of that type aren't covered by her insurance [ don't get me started...:mad: ], they only cover inpatient "rehabs". So - just as it happened last time - she'll most likely deteriorate and have to go back into the hospital as she languishes in the warehouse-for-the-elderly. And the whole cycle repeats itself...
I cannot speak for other states and their oversee of nursing homes, but in Alabama anytime an incident report is filed the State does a follow-up investigation. If negligence is found, heads will roll and the nursing facility's license to operate is put on notice and possibly fined, all dependent on the follow-up action. Too many of these and the license will be pulled. They also pull frequent and unscheduled inspections that look into records, patient care and welfare, food, staff, hygienic conditions, etc.

This doesn't mean that accidents and cases of neglect don't happen, but....have you looked into the incidents and neglect at your local hospital? Also, we must always take into consideration that these "residents" are very old and many very sick. It doesn't take much for them to injure themselves or be injured by routine procedures. Many times the concerned family members yell neglect without waiting for the facts. It is unfortunate that cases like David's mother happen, but they do. Hopefully, these institutions will continue to improve care as they have since the "Old Folks Home" of the past. There, you only got food, bed, and a rocking chair. The care given was mostly from non-professional workers that only did what was absolutely necessary.

Are nursing homes needed? Yes, for what they are designed to do: give medical and personal care that can't be done at home or where the care is not justified at a hospital. I doubt you would find very many "residents" that are happy with their situation, but those I have talked with have accepted and made the best of it, although many times grudgingly. (Me?? Well, if someday I have to go to a nursing home, I will probably be biggest SOB there.) Let's face it: growing old is a blessing, but can be a PIA without the gifts of youth.

[If you really want a good gripe, gripe about those in a nursing home that haven't worked a day in their lives and it cost nothing to them (Medicaid) vs. those that have worked having to pay until their entire savings, homes, valuables, are completely gone in payment. Didn't know that, did'ya!]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Afternoon...

Sitting out back with the laptop and enjoying the fresh country air...while BBQ'ing some Angus Beef Burgers....:D

Had a bit of a surprise this morning...boss showed up with company bonus check...knew I missed something somewhere........which means more ca$h for mrr....hopefully...:rolleyes:

So much for a quiet night. Looks like we have storms moving up from southeast Texas. Looks like it could get noisy.
strong to severe thunderstorms developing over southeast Texas and eastern portions of central Louisiana will move northeast at 20 mph. Rainfall rates up to an inch an hour will be possible in and around Kirbyville and eventually Newton as well as Marksville and Opelousas. Small hail, gusts to 40 mph, and frequent lightning will be possible with these storms.

On cajun pawn stars....big daddy's little brother Johnnie declined to buy a real old taxidermy lion.....teeth were all yellow.....probably stunk to high heaven too I would guess. :p Good show though! Jimmie made a cool $4000 profit on an old knife/pistol combo. :eek:

Mike

Hi yall,

More greetings from the Blue State. Don't know the local weather stats and frankly, I'm feeling too lazy to check them out. At least it's not raining.

First, an update on Grandma: This new rehab she's at seems much better than the old one, probably because that's all they do - no nursing home involvement. She's regaining her strength gradually, and yesterday when Vicky asked how she felt she said "great". One can only hope...

On the mrr front: I'm trying to cross all my T's and dot my I's in preparation for that long-anticipated first op session on the new layout. Seems I've stepped into a new quagmire: carcards. Not only do I have to redo half of them, but today as I was making some up for one of my new op scenarioes, it dawned on me [as I tried to put it in writing] that this particular one really stretched the limits of plausibility! So I wound up striking that setout from the plan. I suppose I'll figure this thing out eventually though...

Hi yall,

More greetings from the Blue State. Don't know the local weather stats and frankly, I'm feeling too lazy to check them out. At least it's not raining.

First, an update on Grandma: This new rehab she's at seems much better than the old one, probably because that's all they do - no nursing home involvement. She's regaining her strength gradually, and yesterday when Vicky asked how she felt she said "great". One can only hope...

On the mrr front: I'm trying to cross all my T's and dot my I's in preparation for that long-anticipated first op session on the new layout. Seems I've stepped into a new quagmire: carcards. Not only do I have to redo half of them, but today as I was making some up for one of my new op scenarioes, it dawned on me [as I tried to put it in writing] that this particular one really stretched the limits of plausibility! So I wound up striking that setout from the plan. I suppose I'll figure this thing out eventually though...
Best wishes on all fronts Ken. Glad you're getting a little MRR time! :)

Mike

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Thursday, September 13, 2012

coffee-pouring111.png

InterurbanTIPTON_CH.png

Interurban passenger and freight depot, Tipton IN-1930s

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN

Good morning All!!! Thanks for putting out the coffee Bill. Many hoops to jump through this morning, so I better get going. Have a great day everybody. :)

Good morning. It's 69° with 100% humidity. There's a fair chance of rain. The high will be 88°.
cond040-1.jpg

Storms passed through last night. Not much rain but a lot of noise. Looks like we may get some rain today. I really don't feel like working on the layout today. There are no projects to work on so I just don't see the point. I have a Bowser Roadrailer kit but that would take all of about twenty minutes to put together. What then? I have nothing to use it with. It's just one of those things I have for possible trading material. No news on my mothers condition. In that respect no news is good news.

P4230206.jpg

Morning from Mount Dunderbush! Sunny and 70* with speculative high temp said to be 83*

I managed to see again our ohio central short train that comes from newark ohio 15 miles south...up here to mount vernon a couple times a week. One EMD SW1200 switcher and one short SD or GP locomotive and about 3 or 4 boxcars and grain hoppers. Why they need two engines for this few cars....is unknown to me. Redundancy perhaps? Just testing out new repairs maybe? :confused:

Mike

Morning from Mount Dunderbush! Sunny and 70* with speculative high temp said to be 83*

I managed to see again our ohio central short train that comes from newark ohio 15 miles south...up here to mount vernon a couple times a week. One EMD SW1200 switcher and one short SD or GP locomotive and about 3 or 4 boxcars and grain hoppers. Why they need two engines for this few cars....is unknown to me. Redundancy perhaps? Just testing out new repairs maybe? :confused:

Mike

Might be leaving one at the other end? Probs not though...I'd go with testing...

--------------------------------------------------

Good Morning

We are having some warmish, muggy days back for us'uns...84F feeling like 95F today as well....:rolleyes:

Today is picking up a bunch of laundry related stuff and a few new things for the studio....:eek::)

Have a good day!!:)

CSX: Good to hear she is doing better...keeping prayers going!

Why they need two engines for this few cars....is unknown to me. Redundancy perhaps? Just testing out new repairs maybe?
Back in the 80's I noticed a pair of locos, a GP40 and an F7A were being used to move short strings of cars going to a stop on a branch line. It was always the same two locos for this run and the train was always twenty to thirty cars. I never paid much attention to which loco was doing what as the crew was in whichever loco was on the lead, be it the geep or the F7. I found out later it was a mother/slug set. The F7 was the slug but the pair could be controlled from either cab which is rare as the cab of such a slug is usually dead. This made sense. The loco and the slug had the pulling power of two locos with the fuel consumption of only one.

Mike

Possibly a facing point switch somewhere. They wpuld separate the two units, and use the rear one to shove the cars in and out, while the lead unit would pull the rest of the train out of the way.

Possibly a facing point switch somewhere. They wpuld separate the two units, and use the rear one to shove the cars in and out, while the lead unit would pull the rest of the train out of the way.
Yes, I think this is exactly what they're doing with the two power units. I saw the train downtown again today a little while ago. Only using the switcher today. Farmers truck their grain to the elevator downtown...then the train comes to get it twice a week. Then maybe rolls-royce receives parts shipments in boxcars.

Mike

Back