Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Well at 2pm today I went to my parents place as they had asked me to. Lo and behold there was no one there! So I waited for their return. After an hour I put the time to good use and sacked out on the couch. My mother and her minder came in two and a half hours later. She'd been out to get her hair done among other things. Got her dinner for her and after a suitable time passed checked her blood sugar. It was very high. Called MD, instructed to give five units insulin and check in an hour. An hour later it was higher. Called MD again. Give ten more units then check in an hour. At that time my father was home and I handed everything over to him. Glad to be back home.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN1182.jpg

Good Evening...or whatever after midnight is called anymore.

Tests came back positive..start the BEEEEP!!! treatments Monday.....:eek::mad::mad:

I spent the day, outside of hearing THAT "wonderful" piece of news, in my studio trying to rewire/patch my effects racks and other such recording paraphernalia...when I looked at the back of the rack it was loaded with cobwebs...where do these spiders come from?!?:eek: I thought my patch cords were bad enough but cobwebs on top?:eek:

Tests came back positive..start the BEEEEP!!! treatments Monday.....:eek::mad::mad:

I spent the day, outside of hearing THAT "wonderful" piece of news, in my studio trying to rewire/patch my effects racks and other such recording paraphernalia...when I looked at the back of the rack it was loaded with cobwebs...where do these spiders come from?!?:eek: I thought my patch cords were bad enough but cobwebs on top?:eek:

Sorry you didn't get good news mate, just gotta keep fighting against it, keep as busy as possible, keep the mind and body active.

Cables and wires behind electrical gear is spider Nirvana.

I think it's called morning. Very early morning.
Ouch. Is it the same, in the same place, or is it different, or in a different spot this time? Not sure which would be "better".
Sounds like the area behind my home theatre. Ugh.

Barry: Sorry to hear the test came back positive. I hope they can stomp it out this time.

Good morning. It's 66° with 100% humidity. The high will be 65°. It'll be mostly cloudy with a fair chance of rain.
cond40.jpg

I have no idea what will be going on today. I may get some layout work in later if I have the time. I don't want to get started on something only to have it interrupted ten minutes later.

It looks like we may get some rain today. While we do need it there's a good possibility it'll make things messy too. The parish has managed to screw up the road pretty badly. It was a good gravel road with good drainage. They hauled in a bunch of clay rich dirt and graded it out so the edges are higher than the middle. That doesn't allow drainage and has the predictable result.

DSCN1162.jpg

I've been inside all day today. Woke up this morning with bad pain in my ankle. As much as I was on my feet yesterday I wasn't surprised. It only got worse as the morning went on so it was imperative I stay off my feet as much as possible. Well my father calls a little before noon to tell me he's leaving for work soon and will I come down to keep an eye on my mother. I told him no and why. He says all I have to do is sit with her. Well it's not that simple. It's constantly get up and get this, do that or go here or there. So no, I didn't go down there. Good thing too. By 1pm I was having a hard time getting from my bedroom to my kitchen, a distance of about ten feet. Add four feet to get to the computer chair. This is bone pain that I'm feeling and it is intense. I seriously doubt I could have stepped down the front steps. I'm not quite as sore now. Will I be able to get out tomorrow? That's a good question. Even if I can I probably won't. This needs some time heal. If he doesn't like that it's just too bad. My health is more important to me. I don't need another bout with osteomyelitis.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN1049.jpg

Good evening [or morning to our friends on the opposite side of the globe].

According to the Weather Channel forecast model, Hurricane Sandy has Baltimore in its crosshairs. Sustained winds will be 65mph. But wait, it gets even better: this is a very slow-moving system, so the high winds and torrential rain will go continuously in my area for 72 hours. That will prevent me from using my generator when the power dies [an event as certain as death & taxes in my neighborhood:rolleyes:]. So I've been busy buying supplies of batteries and non-perishable foods that don't need to be cooked. Tomorrow I'll gather up all my trash cans, lawn chairs, and other loose paraphernalia and put them in my shed. No mrr activities in my immediate future.

Well even though it was very painful I had to get out to take care of a dangerous situation. A tree came down on my power and cable lines and snapped the service pole off at the ground. So now the lines are down but I still have power and cable. However the lines are hanging low over the road. I tied a couple of white T shirts and a couple of those snap-lite green safety lights (those break and shake things) on the lowest line so they can at least be seen. The power company has been called (niece called) but they probably won't be here until morning. Seems if it's not one thing it's another. Old Murphy definitely seems to be getting his jollies!

Good Morning....

I'm up and getting a few things cleaned up in here...all kinds of rain has been falling on our'n heads here and, of course, with Sandy getting ready to to do her thing I'll be watching my inland lake/ocean thing here...in fact, our neighbour to the other side of the crescent has already been seen creating a canal so the water can have somewhere else to go other than straight through my front yard...

Our forecast has us getting at least one more day of good ol' fashioned downpour city...a small sunny break or two on Sunday..then, right back to the swing of things with a few inches of rain...oh...and wind....

Well, with the generator here all prepped and at the ready...we'll see what happens around here...everyone be careful!!!:eek::eek:

Good morning. It's 44° with 100% humidity. It'll be mostly sunny with a high of 62°.
cond026.gif

I didn't get much sleep last night, a couple of hours at best. Around 10:45-11:15 last night a tree fell in my yard and pulled down the power line and TV cable. It also snapped my service pole off at the ground. The power and cable however are still on and functional at this time. The power company was called last night. I expect them to show up sometime today to cut the power. The question now is where am I going to get a new service pole? Later this morning I'll move the sparse contents of my fridge down to my parents place. I also have medication that must be kept refrigerated. Other than that there's not much that needs to be done. I'll still be able to access the forum from my parents place. I have an old computer set up there.

P4280248.jpg

According to the Weather Channel forecast model, Hurricane Sandy has Baltimore in its crosshairs. Sustained winds will be 65mph. But wait, it gets even better: this is a very slow-moving system, so the high winds and torrential rain will go continuously in my area for 72 hours. That will prevent me from using my generator when the power dies [an event as certain as death & taxes in my neighborhood:rolleyes:]. So I've been busy buying supplies of batteries and non-perishable foods that don't need to be cooked. Tomorrow I'll gather up all my trash cans, lawn chairs, and other loose paraphernalia and put them in my shed. No mrr activities in my immediate future.

Ken
Are ya still going to Timonium this weekend?:D:D:D I am!!:D:D
Just got an updated weather map!
;)"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!":rolleyes: With apologies to Fred Rogers :cool:

Ken, I put my generator in my detached garage, and leave a window open, with a long extension cord going to the house. Is that an option for you?

Ken, I put my generator in my detached garage, and leave a window open, with a long extension cord going to the house. Is that an option for you?

No generator here :( but I do have candles and a wood stove:D
Lots of Ice in the freezer if the power goes out, even though its never been out more than 2-3 hours before in bad storms. Just gotta hope for the best at this point. Not a generator in stock around here right now~!

Ken
Are ya still going to Timonium this weekend?:D:D:D I am!!:D:D
Karl,

There are 2 reasons it is impractical for me to go to Timonium:

1) Insufficient CA$H
2) Sandy preparations

Terry - mine is in a shed in the backyard, with a heavy-duty cable going to a transfer switch. To run it I need to leave the shed door open [for the exhaust to escape] and have it sitting right beside the door, which faces north. Nada problem if there is rain without high wind, or wind without rain. But having both wind and rain together means the generator would get drenched, and I definitely do NOT want to learn the possible consequences if that were to happen...:eek:

I have a so-called "Basement Watchdog" battery-backup sump pump. The battery is rated to supply power for 24 hrs if run continuously. Since the pump only runs intermittently [30 seconds every 2-3 minutes], it should last at least 3 times as long [hoping and praying].

Last edited by a moderator:
Back from the train show!!:D

Lotsa stuff, just not what I need right at this moment.
I did find an unbuilt Sears house for 8 bucks, an undec Walthers bay window caboose for 10 bucks, and an Athearn BB F7, super powered decorated in Western Maryland for 20.. The engine is not for me, but for the Grandsons 1st layout,,,,even though it runs real nice,,,,,I may be tempted to keep it!!! LOL!:D

Good evening folks

It has been a while since I had a chance to post. Lots of things going on with work, and family. Some have been good some have been not so good. We are between volleyball seasons; high school is over and it is two weeks to club try outs. My son’s freshman football team is still playing until mid November so I am still running some. Wife is getting better since she is now seeing a chiropractor to help with her back after her fall in Florida back in June. My daughter received the Coaches’ Award for varsity volleyball.

I will get some time in the basement tomorrow. Unfortunately it won’t be for trains. We will be moving stuff off the floor just in case we get water through the window well. We have done all our outside preparations for Sandy. Furniture is in the garage. Fish pond pump is cleaned and stored and the plants have been sunk in the deep end. The gutters are cleaned. We don’t have a generator so we will hope the power won’t be out for long.

Of course just as it looked like I was going to have time for trains the weather interferes.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Back