cheap ballast

mowman24

still can.t decide what to use, of course I am in no hurry, as I still haven't built the table, let alone laid track. I will be using O gauge 3 rail. I wonder if some of the sand that they sell at Menards would work. I know I can fall back on kitty litter, but think I would like something with , more heft. Also considering crushed walnut shells, Almost forgot chick grit. Possibly best scenario..

Last edited:
Crushed walnut shells is what Woodland Scenics makes theirs from. Sand is probably too fine for O gauge. Kitty litter...I don't know!

25.00 lb. Walnut Shell 24 Grit Fine Abrasive Media​

$27.99

HFT 25.00 lb. Walnut Shell 12 Grit Coarse Abrasive Media​

$27.99

Careful with kitty litter, some will expand well over twice its size!
I agree with the nut shell stuff, as long as you have no allergies.🤧

Oh and if you use coffee grounds you’ll get an added bonus… real little shrubs! Also known as fungus. 😝

Oh and if you use coffee grounds you’ll get an added bonus… real little shrubs! Also known as fungus. 😝
I've been using some cheap, clay kitty litter as ballast on my O-gauge stuff. Yeah, it does expand when wet (during the gluing phase), then shrinks when dry. Fortunately, in my case, the shrinkage hasn't been too bad at all in most places. In the few spots where it was, I just sprinkled in some more litter, applied more ballast glue, and problem solved.

I'm currently working on screening the stuff, so I can get a little more consistency in granule size. At least, get rid of the bigger particles, which are just a little too big for my tastes.

Coffee grounds: I make from spent coffee and boil for several min and then bake in oven for several min at a high temp hence no fungus.
Color with very thinned latex paint, let dry, crush any clumps.
Use a "wetting agent" -- they will float away otherwise.

Last edited:
Funny this thread should come up. I have recently been thinking the same question.
The cemetery across from my house recently re-graveled all their roads with a nice, fine, white crushed rock. Naturally, they had a little left over at the end of the job and left two huge piles for the ground crews for repairs (filling pot holes, etc.). After a quick little stroll and some grave robbin' later, I had little bucket full of sample material.

I used a big strainer to get the bigger rocks out. They'll work great for rip-raff and what not. I thought at first it would good O Scale ballast, but after checking it on a section of track, I think it's too big.
53571513290_348583ffdb_z.jpg

After a the big rocks were out I ran it all through a fine siv to get all the dust and thing too small to use out. Then I picked up a cheap flour sifter from Walmart and broke down the remaining into two smaller sizes. The former will work great for O Scale, the later is perfect for HO:
53571076601_ee393d3c9d_z.jpg

53571513285_8677f7f710_z.jpg

Still a touch dusty, but not too bad, and it seems to disappear when with wet water and glue.

So, fine crushed white stone, some sifters and a little bit of time and voila - instant ballast. Real rock, too.

53571076576_569c324989_z.jpg

Back