C&O Allegeheny Sound

So titan & wow decoders are the best for articulated steam
& loksound & tsunami is at the bottom? ?

The really disappointing thing is that the H8's has a high pitched single note whistle, not a hooter or steamboat style one.

The H-8 had a hooter much like the Y series Mallets on the Norfolk & Western. My Rivarossi version from 2006 came with a Loksound decoder with horrible sound files that bore no resemblance to what an H-8 must have sounded like. It now has a Tsunami, but I am getting annoyed with that dated sound. The Titan decoders in my latest articulated steam are the cat's backside IMO.

The H-8 had a hooter much like the Y series Mallets on the Norfolk & Western. My Rivarossi version from 2006 came with a Loksound decoder with horrible sound files that bore no resemblance to what an H-8 must have sounded like. It now has a Tsunami, but I am getting annoyed with that dated sound. The Titan decoders in my latest articulated steam are the cat's backside IMO.

Having the Hooter whistle was my main concideration when going with the Tsunami decoder in both my Key and Rivarossi H8s,hoping the new WOW decoders from TCS will have this whistle as well,that's why I'm hoping someone will post a video.

Well when my wow decoder is installed in my H8 i will post up a video
That would be great.

Are you doing it yourself? ...couple of questions, if so:
1) Did your Allegheny tender have any speaker relief holes in its bottom side?,...and are you planning on any??
2) I believe I have heard of some difficulties insuring that the electrical leads to the motor itself offer some challenges of insuring a good contact?

From the ONLY actual audio recording I've heard, The H8 whistle was even more high pitched and shrill than the N&W freight hooters.

From the ONLY actual audio recording I've heard, The H8 whistle was even more high pitched and shrill than the N&W freight hooters.

Have you listened to the video I referenced a few years ago back on this posting?
Here is a VERY interesting video, the intermingling of the model's sound with that of the real loco.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgS8KMoKi6I

Listen to the model sound verses the real loco....about 4:10 minutes into the video
Listen to this real prototype whistle at 7:07 minutes into the video !!!

But the Loksound on his model train is just what I want to avoid....too 'tinny'.

The weathering on his model is WONDERFUL !!
BTW he responds to some viewers, that the 'old video footage' came from "Articulateds in Appalachia". I'm going to go see if I can find that video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allegheny's Whistle

Interesting discussion concerning the whistle on Allegheny's

And to think, all ...
And to think, all that time I had allways thought the allegheny's whistle sounded like 1218's!!

I would like to ...
I would like to know where you got the sound from supposedly there is no known recording of the sound of an allegheny

@lesterpm1 Yes ...
@lesterpm1 Yes there is

Nicely done, with ...
Nicely done, with the camera shake...not sure if you meant to do that, but I've seen so many railfan vids where the camera person is way too close to the tracks, underestimates just how massive a train really is, and ends up with just that kind of vibration/shaking. If that was what you were after, well, you nailed it!

The allegheny has ...
The allegheny has my absolute fav whistle

The easiest video ...
The easiest video to find is probably "Articulateds in Appalachia" by Sunday River Productions.

The C&O Alleghenies ...
The C&O Alleghenies had single note whistles, slightly higher in pitch than the N&W "hooters". B&O EM-1 2-8-8-4s also carried single chime whistles. Photographs of the H-8s show the long tubelike whistle mounted high on the boiler, just aft of the stack, on the fireman's side. The sound is from a 16mm sound movie originally filmed by Fred McLeod. I own both "Articulateds in Appalachia" and "B&O/C&O Steam with Live Sound". Both contain this footage, as well as N&W power and B&O EM-1s.

I'm not sure at all ...
I'm not sure at all. Supposedly, the Allegheny footage in Articulateds in Appalachia is the real thing according to the owner of the company. Their ad states that it has spectacular sync sound which meant that it wasn't dubbed. In Huddleston's Allegheny, Lima's Finest it states that the H-8's came with the Nathan standard freight whistle. He also said that, according to his knowledge, there were no sound recordings made of those engines. Does anyone know?

I feel that, due to ...
I feel that, due to the whistle, the recording used was of a N&W Y-6. They had that distinct single note whistle. I believe that the Alleghenies had the standard Lima 5 chime whistle. Lionel's Rail Sounds 4.0 for articulated locomotives has the same whistle. I think they may have corrected it in the 5.0 version.

I tried finding the ...
I tried finding the video: "Battle for the Alleghenies" but i had no such luck, I found the other two videos with no problem. Could you tell me the production company who mad the video? thanks! =D

Love That Whistle.
Love That Whistle.

okay,that helps ...
okay,that helps alot. thanks!

amazing job. 5/5. ...
amazing job. 5/5. love the sounds too!

does anyone have an ...
does anyone have an example of a REAL allegheny whistle? I did too think the allegheny whistle was the one in this video. any help would be appreciated

is that HO? what ...
is that HO? what model locomotive and what dcc decoder?

WOW that was too ...
WOW that was too cool!

The sound I used is ...
The sound I used is actually on 3 different videos: "Battle for the Alleghenies", Articulateds in Appalachia", and as you mentioned, "B&O/C&O Steam with Live Sound". But I'll give credit to Fred McLeod who originally filmed the footage.
I found that discussion HERE

I noticed these 2 quotes under that presentation, and I believe they are really correct.

I have a suggestion, the subwoofer is meant to be on the floor. The 1/4" is way too thin to be under the woofer. The plywood is vibrating with the sub. If you are going to leave it on the shelf you need to remove the plywood and replace it with at least 1" MDF. 1.5" would be better. You have to keep the shelf from vibrating or it will make the sub sound off.Scott

Put that sub on the floor and it might sound even better. It will certainly vibrate your benchwork less.

We have lived thru a remarkable period of time in the hobby. Just look at the level of detail in our plastic model trains,...unbelievable. In some cases it rivals those really nice (and really expensive) brass models. And with the all-wheel electrical pick-ups, and great little motors and motor controllers, they even run much nicer than the brass locos.

Somtimes it takes a little weathering to really bring out the details in these models (and that is true with the brass ones as well). Case in point, I present a pretty heavily weathered Rivarossi Allegheny I just recently purchased.
View attachment 34396

View attachment 34397

View attachment 34398

View attachment 34399

Its regrettable that this model will likely not be reproduced. It just doesn't get any better.

I've just run across ANOTHER posting of mine where the photos i posted are NOT available.....WHY??

As if that wasn't enough this loco came with an aux water tender...one of the Bachmann ones rebranded for C&O.

I don't think the Allegheny ever had need of an aux water render as their sizable existing tender was plenty, plus they didn't have that long of runs between water sources. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

But it does make for a looong package...
And another posting that I'm sure had a photo of the water tender that came with this loco I purchased??

Back