Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Steve, Good points on the dye.

Post a layout plan and let us have a look. I'm toying with the idea of HO and On30 but the tunnel portals will look out of whack.. Jim :)

I'm not planning tunnels on either layout. The On30 will be more of an operating diorama. The HO will be several modules if it goes all the way. I drive through the little town of Roy everyday and it will be the basis for the HO town. It has two railroads that run through it. It still has the old NP water tank by the tracks and a really neat grain facility to bring loads into. I'll post some pictures and some drawings.

Steve

This is some lichen that I collected last year for use in making evergreens. It could also work for ferns as well. This is only one of the many varieties that exist in the woods. I'm not sure what would be available in other places.

Steve

P1030310_zpsdc477c33.jpg

P1030309_zpsb5da81bd.jpg

This is some lichen that I collected last year for use in making evergreens. It could also work for ferns as well. This is only one of the many varieties that exist in the woods. I'm not sure what would be available in other places.

Steve

P1030310_zpsdc477c33.jpg

P1030309_zpsb5da81bd.jpg

I like the look of that stuff. Pretty close to right for Cedar limbs.....kinda large for ferns. Did you find it on the ground or attached to a tree? I need a place to start rootin' thru the forest.:D

JPIII, There are plenty of forests near you. Head up to Mt. St. Helens area and look on the ground. One variety lives in the trees but this is probably found near the ground. Jim:)

Happy day today. I officially finished the PCM&T Co. layout today. My back is a bit better and I fixed the last couple of feet in the new tunnel. I let the glue dry for a couple of days and now the ballast is drying. So, I'm done.

Next step? I haven't quite decided yet, but I have a hunch this layout's days are numbered. Jim

JPIII, There are plenty of forests near you. Head up to Mt. St. Helens area and look on the ground. One variety lives in the trees but this is probably found near the ground. Jim:)

Ayup, I gotta go back up to mom's place next week. She has forest that won't quit......ya gotta look down to walk & bust brush....Looking up requires stopping.

picture.php

Once ya get passed this, there's this.

picture.php

Laying a path of bread crumbs ain't that bad an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the best areas for me are under a fairly dense canopy where there isn't a bunch of underbrush. There are usually several different kinds of moss in the same area. The stuff I like the best for evergreen boughs seems to be kind of area specific. Once I find it I try to remember these areas to go back to. Happy hunting. It's always good to take a walk in the woods.

Steve

rlundy
The only problem I see with this article is that they are drying their foliage before treating it. I don't dry the moss first.

Steve

I stopped and got some pictures of Roy today. Thought you might enjoy seeing them.

P1030713_zpsb1048abf.jpg

This is the grain facility.

P1030712_zps79f0fd5a.jpg

The old NP water tank

P1030710_zps5dbf8713.jpg

another view of the water tank.

P1030707_zpse17a6557.jpg

The old general store. Now a bar/resteraunt.

P1030704_zps9eac409b.jpg

A view of the town beside the road from over by the water tank.

Steve

Skillman, in the article it says to use fresh plants. In the article it also gives directions to dry plants as well. That is probably what you seen. The first couple of articles are on drying and then comes the article on using the glycerin. Ron:)

Steve, Most folks will never get to Roy. When my brother was at Ft. Lewis I'm sure we went to eat at the saloon. Old times. I like that water tower. Easy to build and steam layouts have to have 'em. Jim:)

Stoker, thanks for the comments and the sand painting. Guess that's me.

I've not heard of PEG for modeling. For every product however, there is probably a usage in some hobby. Jim:)

No historical society. I'm pretty sure the town still uses the water tank. It has always been maintained in my memory. I believe the little building off to the side is the well/pump house.

Steve

Here is my current On30 rolling stock. Not much but I'm trying to figure out how to make tunnel portals 'low' enough to not detract visually from the HO theme of the layout. IF I do a new layout!:D Jim:)

On30 Action3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back