Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Hey Toot, It's some what unnerving to look over to the left and see this new Toot character. Is this some kind of ferry boat captain or Boston whaler? Or I guess Aussie whaler. - Chris

Nope, it's actually Carl Fredricksen from the movie "UP". I like to think of him as an inspiration to all us old fellas who won't take our ages lying down. And Chip, you're right, I can't be trusted not to take the mickey.

Chip, Welcome to the thread. I always enjoy learning new things even though my wife thinks I "know everything!" Contribute with some photos if you can and ask questions if you need to. Jim:)

Toot, Picky is okay. Actually the layout is oriented west to east. The pictures lately are on the westside. I trick you guys by calling it 'sunrise' sometimes. If I build another layout my one foot sliver of window light will be gone I'm thinking. Then lighting will be skylight and desk lamp primarily.

Why the avatar change? I was just getting used to the retired banker look. Jim

Stoker, NASA wants you to think all that stuff was staged. Keeps them in the news! My wife and I signed up for the "older couple" trip to Mars. I haven't heard back from them. Jim:D

HEY YA'LL ... A poster over at Trainboard put me on to this thread.
Sure cannot say that I am disappointed. Has taken me several days of several hours each to get to this point.

Another 24 hours have been spent trying to get former password to work, obtaining a couple more passwords - still have not mastered the avatar, but will get there. (Guess what? My first iPad and it is driving me nuts)

Jim, you are truly a master. I do not think that very many can hold a candle to your methods, skill, and ability. I stand in Awe! Fact is: You are not that far from me, and I would very much like to have the opportunity to "awe" in person before you decide to do something foolish and start over!

I have thought many times of trying to build another small layout in On30. It is a nice size for the older style and smaller engines and cars + with a free lance rr, one does not have to worry if something is not prototypical.

At the present time I am helping a neighbor with his 7.5" trackwork, two miles down the road from me. He lives on 20 acres and currently has over three miles of track on the ground.

Once again, Love your work and all the good comments from everyone ...

Sherrel, Welcome to the thread. Tell your friends! Certainly the more the merrier.

I'm going to try and incorporate On30 equipment in the next layout. If there is a next layout. My plan may not allow it in that I will have to come to grips with larger tunnel portals. If it doesn't look correct then no On30.

Interesting about your neighbors railroad. I'm going to my first garden railroad next weekend in Lakeside.

You are welcome to drop by the next time you come down. I will PM you my phone number so you can call me. Jim:)

Jim, Thanks for the warm welcome. I have become really engrossed with the "larger gauge" trains. Bob has been a lifesaver as for as my model railroading is concerned.

For a look at Bob's outdoor empire please go to www.frisco.org and look at the form "Other Scales" - thread: "Almost in my back yard".

It's free to join - We would welcome any and all of you to the group!

Sherrel, That is unbelievable. The turntable alone probably costs more than my house! I don't really know much about train sizes above G scale, I didn't realize you rode these. Thanks, Jim :)

Light was good this weekend and I got this:

Camp closeup.jpg

ALSO, remember to post your questions or thoughts here. We've had a couple of thousand hits in the last three weeks. Your contributions, as well as mine, are good reasons for those numbers. Thanks, Jim:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I knew more about the history of the climax. I know that there was say a set Baldwin manufactured model. But one more like yours, it seems as if people just took parts from different scraped train parts and built their own. Does that make any sense? You know, a boiler here, a drive mechanism there, a wooden cab. I do like the photo and the way you weathered the engine. - Chris

As Chris wonders, this loco appears to have been built on a flat car. Presumably the cylinders are hidden behind the wooden sides, how was the drive connected to the trucks? If it's a Shay (trying to remember, and find a picture of the other side) then it would have shafts etc over there. Otherwise what was used?

I have one of those climaxes like Jim's. I'm going to send it out to work the mines one of these days. I too am interested in it's history.

climax03.jpg

I was looking at the two Climax loco's and I see their are some very big differences between the two.
I also have one of the MDC/Rouundhouse climax and I have often thought of how I could make it look like the one that Jim has with the water on the rear deck.
Problem is the flywheel and motor of the MDC unit is in the way .
So.........Jim how did you do that ?
Is it brass, scratch built, static, ye ol huff-n-puff ? :confused:
T.C.

Sorry guy's
Most of the time I cant remember what day it is, much less what happened six months ago. lol
T.C.

Thanks all for the inputs. Chip has done his homework. My Climax is static. I didn't care for the overall 'look' of the Roundhouse kit so I cut the back off with an Exacto saw. I added a piece dowel for the water tank. I scrounged through my work desk drawers and came up with a cap on top. I added some basswood around the edges and some wire for handrails. Total time less than an hour including drying time.

I believe these different looking Climax locos were built in the Climax shop to begin with. Once they were delivered to the customer then they were open game for modifications. Many were sold many times. Different mechanics and would be designers figured out new configurations for their particular work environment. The history of the Climax is in book form and, of course, only a 'Google' click away.

Even my model is probably motorable. The water tank would have to be lead for balancing weight, but there are many folks smarter than me who can do this sort of thing. Jim:)

Since this has developed into an interesting discussion about the little climax, I did google, and read some of the history, and it did develop from a need in the logging camps for a more effective way to move logs and did evolve into different changes as the need arose. These photos are just from types that are on E-bay at the moment. - Chris

Chip, I getting there don't worry. I like your Roundhouse model. Is it powered?

Toot, most of this type of Climax was built on flatcars. Many were left overs from our Civil War in the 1860's. The were a convenient size, usually 27-30 feet, and were being phased out by the 1880s. So instead of getting rid of something a bit too small the flatcars got a new life. Jim:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back