Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

One of the subjects I'm thinking of for an On30 layout is a shingle bolt railroad. Very small loco and cars. The rolling stock would be all scratch built, the loco would be my tiny Bachman Porter. Maybe even get into building the mill. 1920ish time frame. Darius Kinsey has some great photographs of related subjects. Anyone who is interested in Railroad logging and related subjects should really study his work.

Steve

Sherrel, PM sent.

Steve, I hear you. On30 allows for some great scenery applications. The size you like is doable. Funny I tend to make my On30 'fullsize'. Even the little tank car at the end of the photo I made 4 extra feet long. Jim:)

Hi Jim. If you are looking for a small loco or rolling stock give Boulder Valley Models a look. They make some really nice little conversion kits for small On30 locos. Ask Dallas about his Mighty Midget. It is a 5 ton switcher built on a single power truck from an old style Bachman 44 ton switcher with dual motors. This thing is really small and really cool looking. It has been discontinued, but he may still be able to make up a kit for you, if he still has the molds. He has done this for me a few times now, on discontinued kits.
Ron http://www.bouldervalleymodels.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been rooting around MRR sites on the net for about a year now and a curiosity leads me to a question. Hard core modelers seem to gravitate to HOn30 (or 3). What is the main attraction? I can see some positives of it but also negatives...

Jim
I like O scale (notice I said scale ) because I can see to do some very fine work on my details. Also structures are much easier to get right. The scenery actually becomes a challenge for me because you can't trick the eye as easily. I have some full size O scale rolling stock and I would like to have it sitting on a siding or something to let people know what the true size is.
JPIII
I have dabbled in narrow gauge for years. I had and have many friends who are addicted to the stuff. I believe that it is several things that draw them to it.
1-The area and the scenery. Colorado narrow gauge. It is beautiful.
2-The small size of the engines and the rolling stock.
3-The need to scratch build almost everything (although there are now many great kits) and having a unique layout.

Steve

I can see the allure of modeling a specific narrow gauge RR (even Cedar bolts:D) but that is about it for me. I'm not looking foreword to building a couple hundred large fir trees to build a generic logging RR......a couple years of that will sate my "scratch building" urges (maybe I'll even get good at it)...if I live long enuff. I also have a passel of kit bashing to do should I find some extra lifetime on my hands.:rolleyes:

I've only been doing MRR for about a year and what I have planed to get accomplished stretches off into the distance a present with all the advantages of HO.

2-The small size of the engines and the rolling stock.
3-The need to scratch build almost everything (although there are now many great kits) and having a unique layout.
about sums up why I have HOn3 on my layout.
Check my build thread for pictures.

JPIII
I have always been a scale modeler and a hobby junkie. I really started when I was 6 or 7. I had an Uncle who was also a avid hobbyist. He was a huge help and influence for me. I started attending MRR club meetings at his shop and for many years I didn't know that there was pre-made track. Everything these guys did was aimed at the craftsmanship of modeling. I think this was the reason I went in that direction. That and maybe the lack of money to buy the things I wanted. I learned to build them or "bash" them out of parts and kits I could afford.
As far as having time left to learn skills or finish projects, I'll get to wherever I get. My work is probably the best now that it ever was. I also still divide my time between many hobbies and groups that I mentor and guide. I'm afraid that like I had to with my favorite Uncle, my daughter will have to figure out who gets all my crap when I die. I hope that's many years in the future. In the meantime---- ENJOY!!!!!

Steve

rlundy, I've had Boulder Valley on my 'Favorites' list for years. I know I purchase some archbar trucks from them. Good company. I'm not far into On30 at this point to make commitments to a lot of their stuff. Money! Jim :)

JPIII, Good question and well answered by Steve and waltr. All I can add to their answers is that this great hobby has so many different types of modelers that it is great to have subsets in and around the N, HO, S, and O scales. There is room for everyone. Scratchbuilders, nonconformists, the curious, the ready to run folks that just set up for Christmas, etc.

Specifically for HOn30 or 3 I would say the same reason folks are into N scale, space available. My little bedroom is a good N scale size and a perfect Z scale size. I suppose the perfect HOn fellow would have a smaller space than living room size, an idea that he likes greater detail in the HOn models, MONEY, and certainly a basic nonconformist attitude to not be like everyone else. This is not a bad thing. Ultimately though, he is a fellow with money.

Me? I'm not sure I've mentioned this but even my HO endeavors are tending toward small. I have a regular 40ft boxcar that I never use. All my locos are geared steam and the only mainliner is a 4-4-0. My boxcars are 36 footers. My two new flat cars are 40 ft but look smaller because they are low. My MOW stuff are only about 30 feet. So, by using smaller rolling stock maybe I am a narrow gauger in disguise? A 'want-a-be' if you will. Who knows? I made my stuff smaller to make the small layout seem larger, this I know I did. But, lurking in the background, there is probably a narrow gauger in me? I do have a few bits of On30 after all.

Hardcore modelers? Tough to define. Am I a hardcore or just a better than average modeler? Not sure I can tell what I consider hardcore. Probably too many subsets would have to be used for hardcore. Is an NMRA Master Modeler hardcore or maybe a person that spent 2 hours a week and worked 3 years to finish their project? Who knows? I look with great envy upon folks that can talk and understand electronics in our hobby and I have no clue. So I consider, hardcore tough to define. I don't think you have to be hardcore to be in a narrow gauge subset, maybe just rich. Jim:)

A very common technique in MRRing has always been selective compression. It works well to put more scenery in less space. It is kind of an issue when being a rivet counter. Also why many of us like "old time" cars and loco's or stay with 50's time frame and 40 foot cars.
Narrow gauge has always been the realm of kit bashers so they could use mechanism's from a smaller scale for their narrow gauge. N gauge mechanism becomes HOn30, HO mechanism's become Sn42 or Sn3 or On3o. Most of the really serious narrow gaugers I knew used dedicated locos and rolling stock of 3 foot prototype because they were modeling a prototype. Most of us that modeled 30inch, or to a lesser degree 42 inch, were more into made up railroads. We may use a prototype to base our stuff on but it's not a matter of life or death if there isn't a prototype to justify our "good idea". It allows a lot of scenery of a larger scale in a small space.

Steve

Skillman, I like what you said about “selective compression”. I model in HO, but in a way, I’m a closet narrow gauger. I’ve always enjoyed the compression of space in more of a vertical perspective. Kind of that 1920’s Colorado feel, with a Malcolm Furlow touch of scenery and old worn out engines and old mining or logging towns that had seen better days. Because of a budget, I used Mantua 1860 “old timer” series 28’ boxcars and flatcars, along with their small bobber cabooses. I used Roundhouse 34’ overton passenger cars. And for engines, the PFM Ma & Pa 2-8-0 Consolidation patterned after the 1912 Baldwin which is good for a 15” turning radius. I model the old Silverton Colorado railroads, but not so prototypical that I can’t make changes or freelance some. - Chris

Chris and Steve, Good stuff. Of course I've heard of selective compression in my fairly short modeling career. When I saw the explanation I said, "Hey, I do that myself." I never tried to, but it was interesting to see that I did it on my own. My basic philosophy is if it looks right (to me) then it is right.

About Malcolm Furlow: I've seen the photo of the layout featured in Model Railroader for years. I never remembered his name, if I ever knew it. I just looked up his name and rediscovered that photo and model railroad. Interesting to see his reasons for narrow gauge were basically the same as mine. From what I gather Mr. Furlow was a fairly accomplished artist in many disciplines. Lucky for all of us he gave model railroading a go.

Lastly, his photo I saw years ago has always sort of piqued my interest. IF I build one last layout, don't be surprised to see some of Mr. Furlow's elements in my 'Southern Division' layout. I only have a couple of more feet to work with, but I think my HO plan, posted here earlier, should work. At the very worst I may have to finally get rid of my workdesk! Jim:)

I like many of the elements that Bob Hayden and Dave Frary used in their articles on modeling Main two foot railroads. Malcom Furlow was more into the dilapidated aged desert scenery. He did have a great sense of of forced perspective and he was building to photograph. I remember his use of printer photo's that he cut out to put his friends into his layout photo's.
It seems that there is still a lot to learn from the older modeling articles. I may have to go through all my magazines and save the articles before I throw them out.

Steve

Another great series of articles were by John Olsen about his Mescal Lines R.R.. If I remember correctly, he worked for Disney and was a great influence on Malcom Furlow. Of course you also need to revisit John Allens Gorre and Dapheated R.R.. He was a huge influence on model Railroading and complete layouts. He also was a great advocate of whimsy on a layout. All are worth Googling.

Steve

That confirms the publishing date of my first MR mag that I picked up from a 2nd hand shop sometime in the early 60's, 'cause in it there were 2 layouts featured and 1 was the G&D in it's original 10 x 5 form (the other was an 8 x 4). Strangely enough the 8 x4 had a greater influence on me than the G&D at the time, although the bridge over the yard element is something I have always tried to incorporate in any layout design I've done since.

Back