Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Ed, Just a little dab will do you. Best of all figures will come off the layout without breakage. If you put too much on no problem, just paint the glue a color of your choice. Jim:)

Finally the diorama to Japan.

Earlier I misnamed a diorama, here is the real thing. I got an email from a fellow in Japan and wanted a simple semi-arid display with a turnout. Okay. Simple is easy, but not really. You have to sort of make sure the customer or even you for that matter gets their money's worth. I was also constrained by shipping costs and a long airplane flight. First, the plan:

IMG_6532_zpsvfjplho3.jpg

Next it had to be light weight but strong. Extruded foam for sure:

IMG_6559_zpsavixtj7j.jpg

Simple sanding to create two levels:

IMG_6560_zps5aw6pcvx.jpg

Some ground covers and track laying:

IMG_6599_zpstfmrzrnu.jpg

It is important to everyone concerned that this isn't just plain! So, I figured a gully, stream and bridge would liven things up:

IMG_6605_zps8jqfhlmo.jpg

I also thought a dirt road would add to the scene:

IMG_66042.jpg

Overhead:

IMG_6606_zpsxnw7mn15.jpg

Up the creek!

IMG_6608_zpsryy5ak20.jpg

My customer love it. I even saw it in publications from time to time.
You close observers probably notice the layout in the background wasn't the desert layout. I built this in the middle of constructing my last Z layout which will appear next week. Jim:eek:

Jim,
What did you use to make the road? I'm considering using some dirt filtered through a burlap bag onto a spray glued surface.

Ed, Sometime less is more and more is less. Go figure.

RR, Simply white plaster painted and scored for tire tracks. I didn't have a problem with real dirt, but I built so fast I didn't have time for it. My whole philosophy was fast, efficient, and use easily obtainable products. I read once an article about real dirt, and how to have a "real" representation of an actual place you just had to go there and collect the real dirt. Sorry, I'm not sure I finished that article! Jim:eek:

Something Bigger; Last Z Scale Layout

Note this layout is so large in Z that I've decided to present it in at least three parts.

Part One
Layout # 5

As usual I draw a plan of the layout in advance. I can make changes, but seldom anything major during construction.

IMG_0758_zpserpl7pfx.jpg

Since we have new folks looking in all the time I thought I would start with benchwork to the finish. Notice a bigger backdrop.

IMG_1176_zpsch2pfmt2.jpg

Notice I've shaded the blue paint sort of like sky really is.

IMG_1271_zpssbeieaix.jpg

Now some clouds and a flat board for the town and yard.

IMG_1276_zpsj0gmm9rr.jpg

Jim:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Layout #5 Part Two

Once the woodworking is finished I had a big mountain to put in another unreachable corner, over four feet deep. I laid the track and subtrack and squeezed in to begin the mountain. No foam this time. Simply dress box cardboard.

IMG_1292_zpse2zqw79m.jpg

Next a covering of plaster cloth. I don't pay much attention to bulges or sags because they occur in nature. Just let the stuff dry. However, after about two hours plaster cloth can be molded into permanent shapes to suit your fancy.

IMG_1293_zpsnbrsyaes.jpg

After drying over night comes some plaster rocks and ground covers. The greenish cover you see is a green blend and topped with FOUR or more sprinkles of different cover colors. Looks more realistic the more you pour.

IMG_1299_zps5ufmq0ap.jpg

Moving on. Check out the plan of the layout. Notice the center of the plan just above the information shows a bridge. Many modelers don't seem to grasp the concept of adding the opposite (concave) of a mountain to their layouts thus depriving themselves of great modeling opportunities. By this I mean they can bridge a stream, but don't see a larger scenic detail. Let's see how this is done.

IMG_5685_zpsc5uyiqsz.jpg

Like a mountain, but concave. Same steps. First cardboard web and then plaster cloth. This use of concave is great on corners like in this instance and can easily become cliff side intends for bridges.

IMG_5688_zpsiiu6ngzu.jpg

Add some rocks. Notice I ALWAYS paint my plaster with Woodland Scenics Earth paint. I NEVER use latex paint because latex is a 'lifeless' color, to me, beneath eventual ground covers.

IMG_5701_zpsxsww5hen.jpg

I finished the scene in preparation for the big trestle.

IMG_5784_zpshceweklb.jpg

Lots of good fun hard work here. Jim:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Seem sort strange to me that you three are the only ones who comment or ask questions when about a thousand views a day happen here???? Jim:eek:

Yes, I can understand your puzzlement in that regard, the others are no doubt thinking the same thoughts, but feel that they'd just be repeating what's been said. So c'mon all you others, even a ditto will make Jim's day.

Toot, It is not about making my day it is about seeking information. I wasn't implying that praise was a concern, quite the opposite. Jim :)

I for one rarely comment because I'd
just be repeating what's been said.
To me that just makes longer threads that get watered down from the real work. IMO, 1000 views a day trumps 10 atta-boys posts. If I have a question, be assured I'll ask.

I'm looking forward to building the trestle. I have a couple to build on an N-Trak corner.

I don't comment Because I don't want to ask a question that might have already been answered, and also because I am just an arm chair modeler. I have nothing to contribute. But you do amazing work, and I don't want to clutter up this thread with just praise. if I have nothing to help contribute I really don't like saying anything. But I do check and follow along everyday and I do get inspired. But I can assure you Jim, that I enjoy this thread, Even if i don't say anything.

Walt and Bushel, No problem. This thread is here as a learning tool. Bushel, as an armchair modeler you should ask questions and all the rest too. This site/thread is open for all for the good of the hobby. No problem from management as far as clutter or length. I was just wondering with all the views if I've explained everything too well that few questions are asked?? Jim :)

Back