Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Not much going on here. I hope you are all busy model railroading! So, what am I doing today. My first love, wargaming. Jim

Fr.%20vs%20Br._edited-1_zpsfiiw7zdj.jpg

FLORIDA CALLING

OPPS, I PREVIOUSLY SAID JAPAN CALLING. MY MISTAKE. HIS COMES LATER.

As my rep started to grow, now late 2007, I received an offer from a modeler in Florida. He wanted a Z scale diorama for photos. Off to work. He gave some ideas for me but said he would trust me on this. One thing he mentioned was that most of his photos would take place against green bushes.

I thought I would put a tunnel portal at one end. This would allow him more photo choices.

IMG_31661_zpsqpqe5zgh.jpg

IMG_3171_zpsobtswijo.jpg

After that it was pretty simple to make it all work. This diorama is around 21 inches x 9 inches.

IMG_31731_zps8ecx9pc8.jpg

IMG_31701_zpsapnortto.jpg

IMG_3135_zpsmtuaojho.jpg

Lastly a shot against the green bushes in my backyard. Fun project. Jim:)

IMG_3164_zpsigvyqb2f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! I have been contemplating a diorama for snow photos. I think something like this may work. I'd have to make the back and right sides higher because most photos will be with greenery behind.

Toot, I'm not sure, although I saw it published in a Z mag a few years after.

RR, Dioramas are easy and the perfect practice ground for later projects. They are also portable and give a nice platform for photos. I may do one in HO later this year, but slowly my closet is emptying into the trash! Jim:eek:

Toot, I'm not sure, although I saw it published in a Z mag a few years after.

RR, Dioramas are easy and the perfect practice ground for later projects. They are also portable and give a nice platform for photos. I may do one in HO later this year, but slowly my closet is emptying into the trash! Jim:eek:

Per your last sentence: I sure don't like to hear that - especially when I am only an hour away!
I have thoroughly enjoyed watching, reading, and visiting in person your exploits. I really hate to see you hanging up your spurs.

Sherrel, Not much to see in the room now. Going to get a bed for the room tonight. Feel good that I use all your wood you gave me for bridges and other projects. Hanging spurs is correct. While you are older than me, I'm pretty sure I had a much more physically demanding life. With that, little bouts with cancer, (another operation on April 5), heart issues, I'm just plan worn out. I'm sure not embracing 'railroading' had something to do with my retirement, but not too much. Scenery seemed to be 90% of the deal for me?!

Lynn, I hope all this extra stuff is exciting. I always tried to do different settings. It was great working up through the scales as well. Many folks miss that opportunity and I think that is a pity. Naturally, this thread is all about inspiration. Knowing that even one person learned something is enough for me. Cheers to you both, Jim;)

Hey, Jim can we ask you a favor?

First module endeavor for the 2008 National Train Show!

Scenery reputation grows. Members of the ZOCAL Z Scale Modular Group needed some way to fill their allotted space at the National Trainshow. As I was a member they asked me if I could scenic this plan.

IMG_4202_zpsy4mniaxt.jpg

In these situations, young and dumb, one can only say yes. Check out the dimensions. Here I've started on one module of the center piece.

IMG_4196_zpsg0pnvikg.jpg

Here is a finished example:

IMG_4226_zpsqsxmeeat.jpg

And a close up of another module. Each of the four were different.

IMG_4235_zpsaat7yvmj.jpg

A friend of mine points out the obvious, what goes here?

IMG_4273_zpswt39sepp.jpg

Then the real work begins!

IMG_4277_zpsfncn03wv.jpg

The center piece had to look like SoCal so I did my best.

IMG_4289_zpsiuvubuau.jpg

This was a pretty tough build. It had to be durable, simple, and travel in the back of a van. Here's a close up.

IMG_4358_zpspsaithun.jpg

Finally is it finished. My best friend Evie checks it out.

IMG_4344_zps4tnj2fuz.jpg

In place at the National Trainshow 2008.

IMG_4443_zps5eetzs0k.jpg

Difficult, but rewarding. This total module allowed us to fill 30'x40' of space. Jim :)

In the Z-scale diorama, how big was it?

I've got a piece of plywood I've eyed to use as a base that is 24 X 30. My version will be HO-scale, so obviously I'll have to size accordingly. To me, it's too deep and not long enough.

RR, I made most of the Z dioramas about 10"x22". They seem deep because I think the main use of a diorama is for photo taking opportunities and presentations. Having a diorama deep allows for more scenery, sort of like real life. I have one coming up that I still have. I has a turnout and a side track as well. I'm going out to measure it now; wait a minute!.....Back, it is 24"x10". For HO I would probably do one 28" or 30" x 15". You could get my with 24"x12" if you just want a display item or just to take photos of locos for example. Post some photos when you get it going. Jim:)

Two weeks ago I had to put down my cat Evie. You've seen her and read my comments about how she was always apart of this hobby and my most constant companion, seldom more than a yard away from me for almost 13 years. Prophetic she lasted from my first layout on the boat to the tearing down of the last layout. I hope not! Hard to express the pain I'm feeling. Love of my life gone....don't tell my wife! Jim:(

P1010055_zpsu9jvzda9.jpg

IMG_0385_zps0fuv7vqn.jpg

Aww, JIM! No Layout - now, No Evie? Your home must feel like an empty shell when your wife is not there.
How are you going to pass the time?
Idle hands are not good!

Jim I am so very sorry for your loss. My faith tells me Evie is in a better place now, but that is not going to fill the void she left behind. I can only imagine how you feel. Having lost my Bessy (cocker spaniel) a few years ago and than my Noel (cat) only weeks ago. I lost my Dalmatian Mickey over 16 years ago and I still miss him. We love them like our own flesh and blood. they truly are family to us. The pain they leave behind is far out weighed by the joy they bring when they are with us.

They can never be replaced, but it does help to share the love you have to give with another pet. I took in a rescue beagle, Tucker and my son got me another beagle puppy, Sophie only weeks after losing Bessy. At first it was hard to love them. but easy to take good care of them. Taking care of them helped to keep my mind busy and now I love them as I have my other pets, more like children. They are each individuals and our relationships with them is as unique as they are.

Noel and Bessy were fast friends, but even she grew to love the beagles and they loved her.

The first picture is Noel and Bessy. The second picture is Tucker and Sophie. The old chair they are napping in was Mickey's chair and I never had the heart to get rid of it. The chair has to be 30 years old. I picked it up for Mick to sit/sleep in next to my desk when I did paper work. My wife once suggested I get rid of it but the look on my face told her to never ask again. I did recently buy a chair cover for it.

God be with you my friend, I am so very sorry to hear about your loss.

Attachments

• Bessy & Noel.jpg
    Bessy & Noel.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 197
  • PC241545.jpg
    PC241545.jpg
    780.9 KB · Views: 181
Sorry for your loss Jim. I've got a ten year old-ish Beagle that we rescued. He's crazy and getting worse, but he's my little pal. My wife doesn't get it and I can't explain it.

Back