Benchwork question

holshot14

Ok, I have a small dilemma on my benchwork. I have an area which sits lower to the rest. This is where my bridge/ river scene is. I'm looking for ideas how to "hinge", or put a pulley system to raise this. Now for the record, no I can't move this or raise it up to the same level as the rest. Worst case I leave it a duck under, which is not preferred. Any practical ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 184
Here is some additional info:

This is for HO scale
4 main lines going across
The two lower sections and the angle sections of bench work MUST stay together
I am replicating the rockville bridge which will span the length
I will be adjusting/moving other leg work

I see a duck duck duck under in your future![emoji6]. I have one as well since I didn't want to mess with fancy contraptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the width of the section and what you've got going on there, i'd suggest leaving it a duck under. Too much to go awry with a gate that big/complex.

Hmmm, looks like it might be the perfect storm for a duck under.
Since it is a lower section, lifting it (either straight up or from one side) becomes problematic.
Since the bench work is square to surrounding bench work, doing a swing out into the center of the room from either side would require some major re-work.
A 90 degree slide out toward the door would basically block the door and defeat the purpose.
I was going to suggest a double hinge and open it like a set of saloon doors, but the placement of that one outside track over that very center section rather negates that idea.

Hmmmm.... I had given up but... . Dropping both sides might make enough room to walk between those two short sections. To do that the hinge joint would have to be perpendicular with the tallest rail head (or anything else that butts together there), otherwise the Pythagoras is going to pay a visit. The two middle, that hinge would then have to be able to have legs that fold up as the sections came down.

This would also make any scenery on those two sections in harms way of people strutting through the gap.
Hinges2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Swing door is a problem i see eather a duckunder or a lift out. which will pose differt problems may need to make your benchwork narrower at the door.

If you hinge it, hinge it on one end and it will have to be lifted at the other end. However, that means that you must also angle the closing faces on the end away from the hinge. When they meet as you lower that end, there will be contact unless you have them shaped like this: ====\\=======@. The end needing support can rest on blocking, Power the rails on the bridge via the brass hinges (feeder wire ends bared and wrapped around screws holding the hinge parts).

Back