Beginner's tunnel portal question

PMW

Hi, all! I'm working on a tunnel scene in which a single track at a 24" radius will pass through a portal. I'm wondering what the dimensions of the opening of a commercially available two track portal are to know if it will allow my trains to pass through.

Thanks!

Woodland Scenics inside dimensions should be 4 5/8 in w x 3 13/16 in h (11.7 cm x 9.68 cm)
I can recheck that later.
Thanks, Rico! I just threw a tape on my scene and that looks a little tight to me :confused:. The portal will be part of a wall I'm building from styrene, maybe I will try to build the portal with styrene 🤔

Double track is plenty wide enought for a single on a curve. I have one for a 22 inch curve. Clears everything except the centipedes. It i realign the position they will clear it too. It sits to one side a bit much Funny my Allegheny clears it fine and that is longer. Take the longest car or locomotive and check clearance with that to set the alignment of the portal

What I do is run a long car with the 0-5-0 switcher holding a marker at the center to mark clearances.
Ya gotta do that if you plan on running a loaded Schnabel car.

Double track is plenty wide enought for a single on a curve. I have one for a 22 inch curve. Clears everything except the centipedes. It i realign the position they will clear it too. It sits to one side a bit much Funny my Allegheny clears it fine and that is longer. Take the longest car or locomotive and check clearance with that to set the alignment of the portal
Thanks. Now I'm not sure if I'll buy one or build one into the wall myself.... To be continued. Tune in to my build thread this weekend to find out :D

Doing that with the schnabel car is the best way. Or a car of
Thanks. Now I'm not sure if I'll buy one or build one into the wall myself.... To be continued. Tune in to my build thread this weekend to find out :D
i have done both. Depending on what type of construction the portal is. Cut stone or comcrete, era and such

Doing that with the schnabel car is the best way. Or a car of

i have done both. Depending on what type of construction the portal is. Cut stone or comcrete, era and such
Thanks. The wall is a big concrete retaining wall so I think I'll try to just cut the opening and use styrene strips to frame it and see how that looks first

Thanks. The wall is a big concrete retaining wall so I think I'll try to just cut the opening and use styrene strips to frame it and see how that looks first
IMG_0225.jpeg

IMG_0223.jpeg
IMG_0222.jpeg

The first one looks like a straight approach but it goes into a 20 inch curve just before it enters. Itis wider than a single track, but narrower than a double. These are based on similar around Scranton Pa. Just some ideas

Hi, all! I'm working on a tunnel scene in which a single track at a 24" radius will pass through a portal. I'm wondering what the dimensions of the opening of a commercially available two track portal are to know if it will allow my trains to pass through.

Thanks!
This, unfortunately, is an instance where you MUST mock it up and do trials. Trains trailing behave differently from trains shoving, both in the prototype and on our scale tracks. Different engines and cars have different gauge loadings that the prototype can fudge with engineering and wide spreads of the ROW. On our scale models, we really do have to put them all in the intended configuration, temporarily, and see who they behave. Some cars will sideswipe, some steamer cab overhangs will snag on the sides of portals on curves. You must craft a real representation and try it out. Nothing like having to tear up really nice scenery because you had only hoped it would work.

Thanks for the help everyone! I got out of work early today and went to town on this :D. I wanted to post it here for those who don't follow my build thread.

I came up one piece of plastic short for the coping at the top but the front of the wall is just about done (still needs to be painted). I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks again for the help :D

Screenshot (347).png
Screenshot (348).png

Thanks for the help everyone! I got out of work early today and went to town on this :D. I wanted to post it here for those who don't follow my build thread.

I came up one piece of plastic short for the coping at the top but the front of the wall is just about done (still needs to be painted). I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks again for the help :D
I believe you have a winner there!

That's a great (real world) looking solution!

View attachment 186598View attachment 186599
Nice real world solution, well done.

Back