BearClaw Valley Railroad

That really looks good. Nice work. Waiting to see the trestle installed. Thumb up.gif

Maybe someone here can help with an issue I am having . On my first waterfall I did not like that the rocks around the falling water looked dry . On some scrap I have played around with some black and brown washes but it still looks like dry rock , just darker . Does anybody have a suggestion on how to make the rock behind a waterfall look wet? I did also try some WS water effects and some realistic water . I did not really like the results of that either . Any suggestions?

Mod Podge.
Node:IOGLO000030000900001000040000H0001M0001L0000E000020000J0001Y0000200MF9.ViewAsset

That's what I used on the rock wall behind, and rocks around, my waterfall.

Scene looks great! Please explain materials and technique of the green ground cover,its exactly what Im looking for in an area of my layout. Thanks!

It is really a simple process . First I painted on a fairly heavy 50/50 mix of white glue and water and then sprinkled on some dyed sawdust to give the scenery shell some "bite" I had the sawdust left over from a previous attempt at a layout so that is why I was using it for the base . You could do the first with ground foam also , I just wanted to use up my sawdust .When its all said and done , you probably wont be able to see anything of what you put down first .After the sawdust was down in the wet glue I started to apply some different colored ground foams , just by shaking them out of the shaker bottle until I got the desired coverage . Your coverage will vary as some spots are really heavy in grass while other are thinner in cover to varying degrees to the bare spots. You just keep applying until you get what you like . I used WS fine summer lawn blend and fine green grass . I then lightly applied some browns and yellows . After I get it like I want it put a fine mist of wet water over all of it which acts to hold it in place a little and helps the adhesive to flow, then I used 4-1 dilute matte medium as adhesive to saturate everything then left it to dry . If I can do it , anybody can , its that simple !!! Hope that explanation was clear for you.

Jim if you like the clean look then I would say you nailed it. Personally I like to build the terrain up in layers adding many layers on the rock work and soil . Looks Great.

Interesting point you bring up Lynn . I was not really trying for a "clean" look and I know I need to do more but I am not really sure what to do .I am in the process of building more trees now. I don't know if its something so simple as to just start sprinkling stuff ( don't really know exactly what stuff is ) on all over or if there are certain steps to follow in sequence ? I do know that I need to put more on OR get some model goats out there :) I appreciate all suggestions .

I was able to plant some trees today and pour my first layer of water .I also am trying to use some info I got out of the latest MR about getting more from your point and shoot camera . Let me know if you can see a big difference in picture quality .

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

Interesting point you bring up Lynn . I was not really trying for a "clean" look and I know I need to do more but I am not really sure what to do .I am in the process of building more trees now. I don't know if its something so simple as to just start sprinkling stuff ( don't really know exactly what stuff is ) on all over or if there are certain steps to follow in sequence ? I do know that I need to put more on OR get some model goats out there :) I appreciate all suggestions .
Hi Jim Sorry I missed your question, been on a new schedule at work and spare time I've been dedicating time to finish up modelling.
For building up the scenery I would very highly recommend the following, first get some woodland scenic poly fiber, get an old blender from a thrift store, some dried up leaves twigs etc. get the poly fiber and start with a small blob and start pulling it out stretching and pulling as you go , should be almost transparent , lay it out on an area and just dab a few drops of white glue just enough to hold it in place , now give a shake with your woodland scenic foam ( course ) ... we'll come back to this, now take the old blended and a bit at a time grind up some of the sticks and leaves etc. Don't go too fine , you want small chunks but also finer . Same as sticks , think about what you would see in the wilderness, old trees fallen down , some deteriated some still showing solid wood, and of course the deteriated mess would be the ground up stuff from the blender. So now back to the poly fiber stretched out and the course foam shaken on it , so now you have a shade of green , no depth there so give a shake of course burnt grass color now back to the green now to the fallen trees and debre , get the idea? Build up in layers and keep changing the tones and when all finished give a shake of fine ws burnt grass and some fine ground up leaves and twigs. To tone it all down give a spritz of A/I . I very often use a shaker of baseball diamond dirt , again in different sizes with the smallest which I often finish off the scene with being from a small container with a panty hose for a cover so it just gives a dusting. With all this done you must remember sometimes to give the area after its been built up a bit a flooding of white glue and wet water mix. I make my own mix and its always ready to go , almost translucent looking. Hope this helps

Jim when I pour my water scenes I use envirotex and although I don't attempt to get it on the rocks , it will leave a shiney look. There are many items out there that will do the same like was mentioned the modge podge.

And here is a shot of my newest loco with a soundtraxx econami decoder in it . I thought it only fitting to have this , it is my local railroad after all :)

IMG_2408.jpg

Been a long time, Jim. Long story for sure. I left in 1975 .. Went overseas for 6 years .. Rode the train in 1984 .. Moved to St. Louis, then Temecula in 1990. My son who lives near Ventura, goes back there every couple years for camping and jeeping. I need to get back before I get too old to travel. My house has the blue roof.image.jpeg

Its a small world isn't it ? Silverton is becoming a summertime destination for side by side off road vehicles. The town has really embraced them . I always enjoy my visits there though it has been a few years since the last one.

Back