BearClaw Valley Railroad

I have used the ws ballast exclusively for several layout s . Trick is to use the N scale for HO scale layout and plenty of soap in the glue water solution. When I want a dirty look I'll give an additional flood of A/I.

Lynn , what kind of dilution rate are you using for your A/I wash ? Could you sub water for alcohol ? Why did you choose the alcohol?

Lynn , what kind of dilution rate are you using for your A/I wash ? Could you sub water for alcohol ? Why did you choose the alcohol?
Jim I generally take a pint of as high an alchohol I can get and add probably 15 or more drops of india ink , basicly I add enough so when I dip strip would in I see a differnce. Trial and error . I've never used water in place of alcohol , the idea is the alcohol evaporates leaving the india ink. Alcohol will warp materials that are thin like laser cut material or even a roof. For delicate materials I will use Methol hydrate in place of the alcohol.

Guys , I am looking for a little help/advise with this part of the layout I am getting ready to start . I want to build an engine srvice facility ( no big maintenance sheds) for my transition era road . I am not really sure what I need .I do have both steam and diesel. Can you guys point me to what I must have , should have , and be nice to have. here is where it is going . The white pieces of paper are the general spot I think I would like it .

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

You can see the switch on what would be the lead in track . That needs to be somewhere in the mix as it will branch off to the empty area behind it to service the "town" that will eventually grow there . I could continue the radius of the track more and put in a wye to get a bit more room for the service facility and still keep access to the town . I am sorry if my ramblings are not very clear , I don't know how to draw on photos like I have seen many of you do to help explain it . I would guess that the rails would just run parallel to the yard tracks but that is also open at this time . It is a small area so I know I will have to compress and omit some things but any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks for any input .

Coal tower, 1or 2 stall engine house , ash pit, water tank, lots of scrap stuff and fences.

Hey guys , can you take a look at this and help me with what is missing? I know it needs lots of coal spillage and junk and the lift cables. All of that will be added when it is placed on the layout . What I was looking for was can you see anything else that should be done while it is still on the bench? Thanks for the input.

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

If the weathering is OK then I will give it a shot of dullcote.

Is that from a kit, and if so, which Mfr? Just curious.

As for what's missing -- some hardware for the coaling chutes perhaps? chains to lower and raise them, that is?

Sherrel , thank you . Some kind of fire protection should be present , I never thought of lightning rods before.

Erik , I do have "cables and weights" for chute operation , I just have held off installing them until after all painting is done . It is a Walthers Cornerstone kit . It went together pretty good , but it does have some very delicate parts to deal with .

Looks good from the photo although you can see if it looks good better as photos don't always show the same. Do a google on the coal towers on images and you will see better for yourself. I did this kit 10 yrs back. I have a campbells wooden on to do. I wouldn't dull coat the finish.

Actually Google images didn't bring up many wooden prototype towers, mostly models like the one you've got. Lots of concrete ones. Some of those had paraphernalia on the top, but looked more like radio antenna than lightning rods. Not sure they'd want to deliberately attract electrical charges to them considering all the coal dust, might be a bit like throwing a match among gun powder.

Hi Jim, The kit I got came with a piece of electrical conduit as well as a lamp over the door and shining onto the loading area. Also, I added a photo of a grain elevator with several lightening rods across the roof:

coal tower.jpg

coal towerII.jpg

coal towerIII.jpg

elevator.jpg

Dave , I like the light idea . That is something that really belongs there I think . Now I just need to find some somewhere . Thanks for the ideas guys .

Back