BearClaw Valley Railroad

jim81147

Guys , I should have started my other threads here to begin with so it would all be contained in on spot , but as they say , hindsight is 20/20 . Anyways , I will post the rest of my escapades here so that other new people like me can maybe learn through my mistakes instead of making them on their own .For myself , this board has been invaluable with advice , pictures and instruction .Hopefully I can contribute something back besides hogging up bandwidth :) You can see my other 2 threads about this layout here:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?38393-Guess-I-am-committed
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?38439-looking-for-some-advice

So I thought that I would give coloring the rocks a try tonite . Here is how they looked when I started .

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rock colour looks good, will look even better with some vegetation on it. The portals came out great, real nice colour.

Jim,

Yep, everything is looking good, did you ever think that you could do this? :D

It may just be the pictures but, and this is only a personal preference, perhaps the rocks could be a little darker, maybe a light wash of IA/Alcohol to give them definition and highlights. Other than that, I think you have done a great job.

Thanks Lynn , the color is minwax Jacobean. It is the same color I used on the trestle . I thought it had some of that creosote quality .

Tony , I too think some more definition would be nice but I wanted to let it get good and dry first to see exactly what I did have there. I made the mistake of making it too dark ( for my taste ) on some rock work on the other side of the layout so I figure I can add more easier than take some off.

Jim,

Valid point. Keep in mind to "seal" what you have done though, if you don't, it will fade. All I do to seal the color in is give it a spray with either a 50/50 mix of white glue and water or matte medium. You can still add more color and definition over that if it doesn't look right.

Thanks Chet , I am now trying to figure out water so I can get that done before the trestle gets placed .

Tony , I have not heard nor ran across the sealing process before . Can you expand on that or send me to a site that talks about it ?

No don't spray it with white glue mix, that will make it shiney. Just leave it, looks good to me.

Jim,

If you are using woodlands colors, and I think you are, they fade if not sealed and fade fairly quickly, meaning days. Sealing the color stops the color fading, it "seals it". Go to the woodlands site and look at some of their tutorials, that will explain things. I can show you "grey sections" on my HO layout that were done with woodlands stuff and given a "light coat" of medium matte that are now white.

One of the reasons I stopped using woodlands stuff for "final coat colors" is because it does fade. I only use woodlands for the base ground color knowing it will be covered with scenic express ground covers.

So that is something that is related to Woodland colors only? I made the washes using acrylic paints like the kind in small bottles at walmart or craft stores. I just diluted them and applied with a spray bottle .

Jim did you get some clear silicone for the waterfalls? Figured you would have laid some out to setup a while back.

Lynn I am trying the silicon and W.S. water effects and realistic water. I saw pics of that on you tube and thought it looked very realistic , so I thought I would try both and see which I liked best . They are both drying . I do have to do the stream beds and stream itself also , that's what I am trying to figure now , I have never done any water effects before .

I've tried the water effects and still have a half bottle and found that the silcone works just as goos.

So that is something that is related to Woodland colors only? I made the washes using acrylic paints like the kind in small bottles at walmart or craft stores. I just diluted them and applied with a spray bottle .

Jim,

I'd still seal the color just to be sure. Using "craft paint" (the better option) may not require sealing but as said, I'd still give everything a coat of matte medium or 50/50 elmers/water.

I also have used "water effects" and to be honest, if silicone works just as well that would be the way I went. I used the water effects stuff on my HO layout and had to use a "lot of it" with little visible results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lynn , the color is minwax Jacobean. It is the same color I used on the trestle . I thought it had some of that creosote quality .

Tony , I too think some more definition would be nice but I wanted to let it get good and dry first to see exactly what I did have there. I made the mistake of making it too dark ( for my taste ) on some rock work on the other side of the layout so I figure I can add more easier than take some off.

Now, if you could duplicate that creosote smell -- That would be great!

Don't touch the color you have now. Most everyone makes the colors on their RR darker than real life. I once read an article about why that is, but it's hidden in some dark crevice of my mind. Trust me .. Your colors look fantastic!

Now, if you could duplicate that creosote smell -- That would be great!

Sherrel , you have never been in an enclosed room with me after a big dinner , it can be done !!:eek: I was trying to keep things a bit lighter in color , around here things tend to run on the lighter and redder side. I did get some red , but not as much as what I was hoping for.

Back