Atlas Genset Pics

Can someone take a shot of the handbrake area on their painted version please? I have 1 1/2 holes in the box under the actual handbrake. Just wondering if this is meant to be like that or am I missing something.
Nope, my UP version has those holes. I kind of remember those holes, or similar ones, being on real locomotives to access the chain for the handbrake.

Mine runs a lot better since I removed the capacitors from it, better low end speed, smoother throttle response, and no more bucking bronco. I repaired the LED's that were damaged, with one exception: The headlight in the long hood. The assembly is glued in place, I don't want to damage the long hood prying it out, and the area is too small to get my soldering iron up in there. My unit may just have ditch lights on that end... And it pulled a string of properly weighted boxcars (10+ caboose) around the club layout. More than that on my home layout would look ridiculous. I can do a test to see how many it will pull, and compare it to Larry's. We can see if they are roughly the same, or if that performance is all over the place as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0mg2VKttuU

Thank you both for the help. It just looked like something was supposed to be there to me. Now on to the tread kit for these demons.

Mine runs a lot better since I removed the capacitors from it, better low end speed, smoother throttle response, and no more bucking bronco. I repaired the LED's that were damaged, with one exception: The headlight in the long hood. The assembly is glued in place, I don't want to damage the long hood prying it out, and the area is too small to get my soldering iron up in there. My unit may just have ditch lights on that end... And it pulled a string of properly weighted boxcars (10+ caboose) around the club layout. More than that on my home layout would look ridiculous. I can do a test to see how many it will pull, and compare it to Larry's. We can see if they are roughly the same, or if that performance is all over the place as well.

How about you use a very small drilll bit to "destroy" :D the LED out of the hole ? or some CA debonder, since it's glued from the inside

I ran my 2 gensets yesterday at the local hobby shop test track layout on standard DC running. I found them to be quite quiet and smooth running like the prototypes. I was very happy with them.

The assembly is a surface mount LED mounted in a bracket. The bracket goes over the light pipe. The light pipe provides light to the two headlights. Carefully, with pliers, you can take the bracket off of the light pipe, and the light pipe should drop out because it's held in place with white glue.

How do I know this? I was installing a decoder and the engine tested my patience. I was inpatient so I tugged hard at the shell and broke both of the leads off of the surface mount LEDs. I had to wire in new 3mm LEDs for the headlights. The headlight in the cab is shrouded by a piece of electrical tape, and the headlight in the long hood is held in place with scotch tape. There are no holes or grills for the light to get out so I decided that it was not worth the effort to put a shroud around the rear headlight.

Also, of my two gensets, one sounds like a coffee grinder on DC. The noise went away when I installed a decoder, but comes back if I MU it to the other genset.

NS Genset

I just picked up my Genset in Norfolk Southern Scheme road number #300. I ran it around the layout at the club 2 times and it was nice a quiet. Decoder was nice and easy to install and setup. I hooked it to about 15 to 20 cars if I remember right and it pulled them with no problem. I did end up breaking a handrail but I can fix that easily. Other than that the Genset is really a sweet engine and really nice and quiet to run.

Eric

Back