Atlas Genset Pics

Remember, guys, these are the Trainman locomotives, and Atlas' intent was to make them "close", not "perfect". So, the headlights may not be in the right spot for all roads, and the handrails may be a bit different, and other differences from the (most likely) one they measured. No holes for handrails is not "close", however...

Ugh, those handrails... Grrr. In any case, Josh should be getting mine this week, so I should have mine soon!

On the topic of ditch lights. Is CSX still running flashing ditch lights? I know out west, BNSF & UP no longer flash at crossings. They're on while running, and off when the headlight is dimmed/off.

NS and CSX are the only Class 1s left with flashers.

Atlas has already told us why the trainman have rougher details and large handrails. Larger parts = less fragile. Since the parts are less fragile, and there are less delicate parts to apply by hand, they can pay less expensive workers in the factory (the workers that handle the delicate parts are paid more due to the nature of their job, as well as the rate of which a worker can finish a unit. More separately applied parts = takes more time = costs more). The savings are passed on to the modeler, which is why Trainman is less expensive.

They came up with Trainman Plus as an in-between line since it would be too expensive to tool every variation, but would be a shame to release a somewhat unique model in plastic without grabs. The next Trainman Plus product will be the trash flat car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked with Atlas today. All of the undecorated GenSets come without the holes drilled in the front and rear pilots for the hand rails.

Did Atlas tell you whether it was a mistake or was it intentional? I don't see the advantages of intentionally not drilling out the holes.

I am hoping that someone releases a sound file for them soon. If not, I am around the type of generators that are used in these often. I might just have to bring a mic next time I am at a test.

archaic? It seems like a good idea
Maybe so, but it has no useful reasoning. If the flashing worked like intended when some idiot was at a crossing and heard the horn, and saw the lights flashing they'd know it was too close to cross... :eek:

I'm not sure what the trade off is behind flashing or not, but they stopped flashing ditch lights out west a while ago.

I don't know... they just seem cooler. The reason why most railroads don't have flashers anymore is because if it's there, it must be maintained. FRA requires ditch lights, but does not require crossing lights (flashers) yet. (key word is yet. They'll put billions of dollars into research and then make up some data about how the flashing is safer than not flashing)

Has anyone tried to pull any cars w/their Genset engines yet?
I ran a lot of trains today. Long & short bunches of boxcars. here's what I found w/my BNSF genset. I hooked it up to 10 50 & 60ft. boxcars. One boxcar has a pc. of masonite that I use for a track cleaner. The Genset would not pull the cars unless I pushed them to get the set going. This is on a straight track. The cars are weighted. When it got in a curve it stopped completely & the wheels started spinning.
I hooked up an Athearn GP40 BNSF to the same boxcars w/out the Genset. the Athearn pulled them w/out any spinning at all. In fact, I added 10 more cars & the Athearn still pulled them w/out any hesitation at all.
Now, I know the Genset is a switcher. So, I hooked it up to 4 flatcars w/loads in my yard. The wheels started slipping right away. So, guess I'll try to add some weight to the engine & see what it does w/another test. Has there been anykind of load test that Atlas has done?

Larry,

So now you're having pulling issues with the Genset? Are you still having pulling issues with that Athearn Genesis?

Are you sure your track is clean? Did you glue the wheels on all your rolling stock? LOL

That's just weird.....:confused:

Larry,

So now you're having pulling issues with the Genset? Are you still having pulling issues with that Athearn Genesis?

Are you sure your track is clean? Did you glue the wheels on all your rolling stock? LOL

That's just weird.....:confused:

I want to know if anyone else has been using any of their Athearn Genesis & Atlas Gensets on their layouts yet?

Larry, what is the radius of the curve? The gensets are longer than your typical geep so narrow curves may be a problem.

Am I the only person on this forum that has actually hooked up a bunch of cars to their engines & tried to pull them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back