Assymbling a wood trestle

balsaman

Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I have been building trestles(bents) for a n-scale christmas railroad for next year. Anyway, I have about 12 of the 24 bents that I need and am now wondering how you line it all up to assemble it. I made a jig for the bents and figure I must need the same. Anyone have a website or such.

Thanx....
Nels

By the way lots of GREAT work on here, you guys are awesome!

Make the deck first...the stringers and the crown caps spaced as needed to scale and prototype. If the deck must be curved because the trestle comprised part of a curve, you must lay the stringers a certain way. Let me know and I'll point you to a template.

Then, you can use clothes pegs to hold the glued bents at the right attitude so that they are vertical and spaced properly. You invert the deck so that it rests on its top surface, and the bents all stick in the air. Use clothes pegs or anything that won't shift but that the bents can be held by or rested against so that they stay vertical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Selector,

Thanx for the reply, I was figuring I needed to build it upside down. I have drawn an 18" arc on a board and was going to temp glue the stringers down then lay out marks for each bent. If you know of a site let me know.

Here are my bents and the jig I used. One is the metal plate and the other is the strips of wood glued to my workbench for chopping each peice.

IMG_1364.jpg

You have done great work judging by what I can see in your supplied images.

I would continue to build the bents...you need the cross bracing between each frame cap/sill before you begin to assemble the greater structure (mate items to other items already built).

Here is a link. Halfway down the page, on the left margin, is an obvious heading. You want Figure 7 (I think) that will help you to figure out how to lay the stringers so that they provide the requisite strong support and the requisite curve.

http://members.cox.net/sn3nut/trestles part 1.htm

thanx for the info. I went for the garage floor, as I couldn't wait. I glued down some temp peices and ran my stringers, 3 sets of 1/16 by 1/8 each. I have run out of wood and will lay the cross peices etc. tomorrow. By the way it is going to cross between a sofa table and silverware dresser that my wife has all of this Dept. 56 stuff on. I have a couple of bents missing also, always need more wood...

1368.JPG

Made some more progress

For a scratchbuilt-looking-at-books-and-internet it doesn't look to bad.

tres1.JPG

The cross braces seem a little fat. I will be adding more and I am not doing a serious scale job here just having fun. I plan on getting an Atlas 2-6-0 and some passenger cars to run around the wifes Christmas village... If you are wondering where I am going with this.

tres2.JPG

Dang!!!, it is really rigid and strong too! Quite amazing for balsa...

Nels

Base

Ok, so I had some foam lying around and decided to make that the base.

tres2v5.JPG

First coat of plaster, foam was scored using a hacksaw blade.

tres3.JPG

Now I cant figure out how to set the trestle in without getting plaster all over the bents. I decided to use the newspaper idea on the yellow foam. Once it is dried I can easily punch through that and set the trestle in and finish up with some gravel or what not.

the wife has decided that her Christmas village lighthouse will go on top.

Looks like a nice trestle job to me. It does need more cross bracing but it will look just fine for a Christmas villiage. I probably would have set the trestle in the foam and then plastered around it but your method should work equally well.

It was often the case that wooden trestles used what were called sills to support the bents off the ground and away from water. There were mud sills and timber sills. What you ought to do, if you'd rather keep the timbers free from plaster, is do a series of fittings, marking out where each bent will need a timber sill. Scour out a shallow channel where you make each mark, and actually stain and set a suitably cut timber in that channel. Make sure it is level and square so that the bottom timbers of each bent are not going to meet a canted or twisted timber.

This will take some patience....so pace yourself. Get it right. Test fit, scrub, shift, cut, gouge..keep at it until all your timbers support each bent. Don't be afraid to trim the bottoms of bents if it will save you some aggravation. Just don't trim them too long...if you get my drift. Patience. Give the structure all the provisions for remaining faithful in its service to you when it is meant to support your trains.

Once the timbers are situated correctly, you can caulk them into place or pour a thin layer of plaster around them, or wedge sculptamold around them. Let them set into place, and then make abutments higher up at the ends where the bridge deck is to end. If you get the sills right, you won't even have to glue them...just glue the stringers and decking that runs for a short distance over the tops of the abutments. That is all I used because I made darned sure the bents at their footings were sufficiently firm and solid to support the bridge properly all by themselves....without any adhesives!

Thank you for the compliments.

I made a little progress this week. I hope to have it finished this weekend.

I will be adding grass, shrubs, etc. this weekend. I take that back it wont be totally finished as I am going to do a waterfall and pool at the bottom. So that will prolly take another week.

tres5.JPG

The bridge is looking fantastic, keep up the great work. Seems that you are making pretty quick progress on the whole project.

Wow, Great looking Trestle. best one I've seen in a long time. I built 1 about 30 years ago & it wasn't half as nice as yours.

Great job on that trestle! Only problem I can see is how are you gonna mail it to me with all that scenery attached? :D

Wow, you guys are awesome, I'm hoping to do as good a job as what I have seen here.

A couple more and I am going to hit the hay. Tomorrow I will fix the trestle to the base after some measurements.

tres6.JPG

tres7.JPG

Trees

Ok, I need a couple of trees, not too many. I have been trying to figure out if I need Pines or hardwoods. Any ideas?

Thanx...

Back